Tropical night - what to wear

Lewing

Someone suggested that apart from the 'formal', 'informal' and 'casual' nights on Aurora there may e a 'black and whie' night and a 'tropical' night - can anyone elaborate on this and bearing in mind we are in our 60's what does one wear for a 'tropical' night please????

Linda

There maybe a country & western night and 60/70's as well, but not many people bother with those, just take something for the tropical night and black & white. B&W is easy for men, just wear the tux! -Its a formal night, usually the last formal night of the cruise. Ladies wear black and white dresses, or black OR white dresses with opposite colour handbags, or wraps for example. I 've just come off Azura for the naming ceremony where we had a black, white and gold evening - just for a change.:)

There may also be a pirate evening, I noticed that the gift shop sold little items that you could use to "pirate up" an outfit. As for tropical evening, yes, plenty of shocking dayglow shirts can be bought in the duty free areas just off the ship - dont think I can honestly say that DH has ever worn his shirt since that night!! Dont get me wrong - I'm not complaining!!!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks for all your replys and its made interesting reading - I am guessing we will know beforehand just what evenings like that we will have on our cruise.

Its good to be forewarned as not always easy to find things for these different 'temed' nights at las minute.

Many thanks

Linda

We were on a 17 nighter with Aurora once, which attracted the older end of cruisers. I wore a Caribbean kaftan, which I'd taken specially, and OH wore a Hawaiian shirt, and out on deck we went.....and were the only 2 who'd bothered! So I took lots of the day's cocktails, and entered into the whole event, more or less on my own......:cool:

Jo.

Someone suggested that apart from the 'formal', 'informal' and 'casual' nights on Aurora there may e a 'black and whie' night and a 'tropical' night - can anyone elaborate on this and bearing in mind we are in our 60's what does one wear for a 'tropical' night please????

Linda

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested Matalan do a caribbean type shirt for about a fiver, I bought one three years ago and still using it now - pleanty good enough for once or twice a year. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes was definitely interested in the shirt from Matalan so will go and have a look - noticed yesterday that Primark had lots of garish hawaiian shorts in their windows for men also.

Thanks for that

Linda

We have been on two P and O cruises and like you expected to be told of all the party nights. When our information came it only mentioned Black and White and Tropical night. We then got on board and found there was a Country and Western and 60/70 night. As Libralass states there were not many who had dressed up. I think the main reason, having spoken to lots of guests was they did not know in advance. On the second trip the same information arrived yet when I phoned the P and O office they knew the extra nights were planned so we were prepared. Again many were not as they did not know.

Paul

Hi Paul

That was interesting to hear - no wonder many did not dress up then - one cruise we went on we didn't dress up for all the themed nights as some were in the 'disco' which we didn't want to go in but many were not and the best night was a fancy dress party late at night as we left one of the destinations which was magical.

So do you suggest us contacting P&O nearer the time to find out just what themed nights there are?

Linda

Hi Lewing

I would suggest you do contact them if you want to join in. The Tropical night on both cruises we have done has been on deck and a great night. :)

Some others are done in bars so you may not be as bothered. Last year on Oriana there were quite a lot dressed up for all evenings.

Paul

• 8 months later...

Archived