Survey: "The UGLIEST cruise ship I've ever seen."

CalmCruiserNC

I have to agree with most of you. The Epic and Pride of America are pretty ugly. But I still want to cruise on both ships, especially The Pride of America.

When someone pointed out that the Sensation had balconies installed, I had to check it out. Boy, that makes the sleek lines of the Fantasy class ships look pretty ugly.

I have never sailed on a Fantasy class ship, but one day I would like to no matter what it looks like.

I am going to limit this to ships I have actually seen.

Ugliest ship I have ever seen was the Viking Seranade (now the Island Escape pictured in another post on this thread). Although ugly on the outside, it was comfortable on the inside and as another wise poster stated, "you don't see how ugly the ship is on the outside when you are sailning on it".

I can't believe some posters thought the Norway was ugly. It was one of the most beautiful ships I have ever seen with classic ocean liner beauty.

Also the Cunard fleet is very classy and elegant as are the Holland America ships.

I think they're all ugly... the cabins at least. I mean who chooses those peachy 80's lookign color schemes??? Do they even sell those colors anymore. I think peach paint should be banned from Earth!

Good thing I don't spend much time in cabin, cause those peachy colors just make me think of vomit and mystery meat casserole in the school cafeteria.

They should hire me on as a decorator. :D

Peach isn't even a oceany color (yes I know oceany is not a WORD).

I do LOVE seeing my Carnival tail whenever I am cruising. Even if it's not a luxury ship, seeing that tail for the 1st time driving into port always mekes my heart glad. :p

I don't have a good pic of it on this computer but that Bahamas Celebration ship is pretty bad. Everytime I am in Nassau it is always sitting there in the first slot. It just looks like a big cargo box. I always feel like the poor passengers that fell for the "free cruise" scam are stuck inside screaming to get out.

This?:

Ship+Photo+BAHAMAS+CELEBRATION.jpg

Could be worse

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?mmsi=353479000

Here is the Ecstasy with the balconies. They're not as bad as some would make them out to be. Besides, you can't see them from the inside of the ship. Probably would have looked better if they had run the length of the ship, though.

They couldn't have had balconies run the length of the ship. If they did, the lifeboats would not be able to come down.

I think it is very odd looking at best. However I have seen some pics/brochures and I think it will be quite an nice ship to sail on. I would not hesitate to book a cruise on Epic, if only NCL offered me a rate comparable to Carnival's.

I know it has been a long time since the first Boeing 747 airliner debuted, but at the time I thought it was a really ugly airplane. Now I remember it as one of the aircraft I most loved to travel on. So I wont condemn Epic as ugly yet. JMHO.:)

I believe JPH was saying that in his/her opinion, an ugly ship hasn't been built yet -- I don't think the reference was about Epic

Yes - what I was saying is that any cruise ship that I can sail on is beautiful in my eyes.

When we were on our second cruise aboard the Grand Princess anchored off Cozumel (dock destroyed due to hurricane), We noticed what we thought was an ugly little ship next to us.

Looking down on the Lido deck from our much taller ship we thought it was some discount cheapo ship because it didn't seem to have any style at all.

Later on when we were heading back to Galveston through fairly rough seas we again noticed this ship following us. Being new to cruising we thought this tiny little homely ship was sticking close to us for protection, just in case.

It was the Elation. A ship we ended up cruising on twice in one year awhile later.

What we initially thought was an ugly little ship turned out to be beautiful and very fun.

First impressions can be so wrong.

I will comment on ships I have actually been on. The Viking Serenade which was actually quite nice inside and Caribbean Princess. The CB was especially ugly on the outside and not so pretty in the inside, everything too camped and dark.

Sue

It seems like the newer the ship the more it looks like a barge topped by a motel.

I saw the Norway and thought that she was lovely despite the evident wear and tear. A classic.

I see that the Big Red Boat was nominated for ugliest too.

We all know that Big Red Boat III was the former Festivale right?

She may have been in some ugly paint, but was still a good looking old girl.

I sailed on the Festivale in 1983 and the Big Red Boat in 1998. What struct me about the Festivale was the design of the cabins and halls. Like a maze. And the Big Red Boat had really low ceilings in the dining room.

But as far as exterior design i thought they were classic sailing ships!

Don't judge a book by its cover!

Yeah, the Epic looks ugly outside, but I'm sure it will be beautiful inside.

The Carnival Freedom looked good on the outside and its inside was.... in my own opinion, really ugly! at least the worst decor of all ships I've sailed.

C.K.

I vote for the Big Red Boat, at least by the time I saw her before she was retired she seemed pretty ugly to me. .. of course she was red.

LOL, we loved our cruise on the Big red boat back in 1987, but you're right -- it was not an attractive ship (from the outside, at least).

Archived