Should I give up my aft balcony

bean24

So after reading many posts about how wonderful the aft balconies are we are booked in an AE for our Dawn trip. The AC's are now cheaper than the AE is. I know since it is past final payment we would not get the price adjustment, but since we have a 9 month old I am thinking the bigger room and balcony might be worth it. I was planning to bring a small pool to put on the balcony, but the AE's looks too small for it. Is the AC's bigger? Also will we be able to use it while we are sailing? We will actually be at sea 4 of the 7 days? Thanks for the advice.

So after reading many posts about how wonderful the aft balconies are we are booked in an AE for our Dawn trip. The AC's are now cheaper than the AE is. I know since it is past final payment we would not get the price adjustment, but since we have a 9 month old I am thinking the bigger room and balcony might be worth it. I was planning to bring a small pool to put on the balcony, but the AE's looks too small for it. Is the AC's bigger? Also will we be able to use it while we are sailing? We will actually be at sea 4 of the 7 days? Thanks for the advice.

In the situation where it's just my wife and myself, we would answer "No Way" to the question on giving up the Aft Balcony. However, when we cruise with our daughter (soon to bee 4 years old), unless we can get a mini suite on the Stern, we'll take a mini suite anywhere else, as the extra space really comes in handy.

Michael & Silke

Balconies in the AC's are waaaaay bigger. Deck 9 are super huge.

They can be very windy when cruising, so with your amount of sea days, it will be up to you to determine which is more important to you.

I love having the big balconies, only wish they were on the back of the ship. I have compromised now and book deck 10 AD's on the back. The size of their balconies are somewhere inbetween the AE's and AC's.

Either way, I am sure you will be happy.

The AC's balcony is quite a bit larger. It is quite windy on most sea days, but there is a rail that provides some protection against the wind. I would normally say stay aft, but for the same price with the 3 of you I would go for the AC.

Enjoy your cruise,

Margaret:)

Another thing to consider, bean24, is the distance of the AC to the activities you'll be doing aboard the ship. Walking with a 9-month-old to Cagney's or the buffet will not be nearly as easy from the bow of the ship as it would from the stern.

I've been in both cabins, and I'd have a hard time choosing between the two. It's definitely going to be windy on the HUGE AC balcony while you're underway, but it's glorious while you're in port. With the AE, you can use it any time. Ah, what a choice you have!

We were aboard the Star in March in one of the OS.

We were blessed with having both a forward balcony as well as a side balcony.

The forward balcony was extremely windy, as well as having absolutely no shade. Even when there was no wind (not often), the glare of the sun was just too much.

I may have spent 20 minutes total on the forward balcony, but spent many hours on the side balcony where there was shade and a small table with 4 chairs, and very little wind.

To be fair, the grandkids loved the forward balcony, as they could lay out in the sun.

We've always thought about booking a Penthouse Suite (with a forward balcony), rather than pay so much extra for the OS, but after this last cruise, there is absolutely no way that I would want a forward balcony!

OP.. having been in the AD on the Dawn, I would suggest, if one is available, moving from the AE to the AD for the larger balcony. You do give up a little bit of the interior room, but the extra balcony is worth it and I am sure it will be less windy than being Stern so your child would probably be able to enjoy it more.

OP, I think Terry is right (as he usually is) :) if there is an AD available I think it would be better than the AC because of the wind factor. I seriously doubt you could have even a small pool on the balcony of an AE and have both chairs and the little table.

OP.. having been in the AD on the Dawn, I would suggest, if one is available, moving from the AE to the AD for the larger balcony. You do give up a little bit of the interior room, but the extra balcony is worth it and I am sure it will be less windy than being Stern so your child would probably be able to enjoy it more.

Do you know if this is true of Pearl also (AD is smaller than AE - I do know the balcony is larger on AD).

Thanks for all your advice, changing to an AD was my first thought but they are gone. I think we are staying with the AE since I am really looking foward to aft & the fact we are closer to things including family members who are traveling with us. My brother and his family are in an AB & they have 2 infants, so we could use their balcony for the pool, I just figured it would be easier if I was in control, that OCD thing, but my s-i-l assured me they want the pool also.

I've had the opportunity to do both and without a doubt I would keep the aft ! It was awesome. I think it would be so much better for the baby in the aft. It wasn't windy at all back there. :)

We had a similar chance to go from balcony (not aft) to AC#9500.

Also tried an Aft Mini-Suite. All the pros/cons are true but nobody has mentioned the perks you will get which make a huge difference.

Drawbacks...long walk to buffet but then you may prefer Cagneys for breakfast/lunch.

Just in case you think the balcony can't be that huge..... Then there is the extra cabin space. The picture only shows about half the balcony...

AC9500.jpg.d98002effdab83f6156a145154154000.jpg

Archived