Would you like some cheese with your WHINE?

Yo Eleven

:mad:Its nice to see once again you guy's from the USA having some sympathy with people from the UK and nearby countries being stranded or not being able to have a vacation, if it was you in the US, well I believe you would be whining a lot more and court cases, suing the cruisline etc.

Many Americans have been denied their European vacations as well. Many Americans are stranded as well. Flights weren't just canceled one way.

I would recon that a majority of passengers who took out what we call full insurance would consider that the appropriate insurance, it always has been for most claims in the UK, like I said I have never heard of Cancel for any reason insurance and we have travelled a lot. Maybe we should get a lawyer to go over the insurance before our next vacation:rolleyes:

I dont think so much they are blaming the cruisline for whats happened, they would just like a little support in sorting the whole thing out not being ignored.

Some of you need to see the local news here and see how really some have been treated, some have no money left and are having to beg hotels to feed them and their children, some have put their life savings into the vacation and this was the holiday of a lifetime and to say stop whining is a bit below the belt IMO.

Just think for a moment and out yourself in their position for a while and think how you would react, its normal to rant and rave this people are very angry and dissappointed and some will suffer financial hardship because of this, some are now facing bills of thousands trying to get home or to the destination.

It hasnt affected me one bit but I do sympathise a great deal and would not dream of telling them to stop whining, have some sympathy guy's and try not be too harsh!

I for one wouldn't respond to the OP anymore. They are just one in about a hundred other posters on this board that like to feel superior to others just because they do something different.

Go look at the dress code and tipping threads.

I never feed them the praise they crave.

Oh my lord! Listen to the news!

People are calling the insurance and they are saying they will not pay out, its on our radio now as we speak, so many people are being refused payment of any kind.

Unless you are in the UK, you are probably not aware of how many this has affected and the whole story.

I found nothing in the news on a websearch about UK insurance being denied. If you are going to make a point you will need to show me. Without this, your retorts do not convince me of anything. But I certainly praise your efforts. Until then, as far as I am concerned the volcano is being called a weather event and a covered expense. It would be my guess foreign travel insurance companies would treat it the same way. Also, it would be interesting to see HOW they filed the claim and for what reason they put for why they missed the trip.

Source:

http://technorati.com/lifestyle/travel/article/will-your-travel-insurance-cover-volcano/

I for one wouldn't respond to the OP anymore. They are just one in about a hundred other posters on this board that like to feel superior to others just because they do something different.

And you are the only ONE here that adds nothing to the discussion. Glad to see you will not be participating in this thread. See ya, or not.

You know, some people whine about little things like not having chocolate on their pillows etc and have you put a whole thread telling them to stop whining?:rolleyes:

I haven't seen 18 threads at one time regarding not having chocolate on their pillows on this site as of yet. If this happens, then yes I will start another thread discussing this as well. Thanks for the recommendation. You are the best. :D

You know you are probably right, there are some people that cant see past the end of their nose.

You know you are probably right, there are some people that cant see past the end of their nose.

But, there is a difference. You OBVIOUSLY find the topic of interest and seek to put in your two cents in to try to convince others you are right. If you didn't care you wouldn't give this thread any recognition whatsoever. I do give you loads of credit for this.

I haven't seen 18 threads at one time regarding not having chocolate on their pillows on this site as of yet. If this happens, then yes I will start another thread discussing this as well. Thanks for the recommendation. You are the best. :D

Maybe because its not quite a big deal.:rolleyes:

If I was a mean person, I would wish this would happen to you one day and see how you whine.But Im not and wouldnt wish this on anyone. The ones who complain about whiners are usually the biggest whiners.;)

Maybe because its not quite a big deal.:rolleyes:

If I was a mean person, I would wish this would happen to you one day and see how you whine.But Im not and wouldnt wish this on anyone. The ones who complain about whiners are usually the biggest whiners.;)

Well, it looks like you made your point across.....

Anything else you like to add to the thread? LOL :cool:

But, there is a difference. You OBVIOUSLY find the topic of interest and seek to put in your two cents in to try to convince others you are right. If you didn't care you wouldn't give this thread any recognition whatsoever. I do give you loads of credit for this.

I am not trying to convince people I am right but to try and make them have some compassion and stop insulting those that have just lost their vacation, lost a lot of money and have had a lot of stress sorting this out.

I am not trying to convince people I am right but to try and make them have some compassion and stop insulting those that have just lost their vacation, lost a lot of money and have had a lot of stress sorting this out.

Stress? But you haven't lost a vacation right? Don't see any reason to stress out.... Now you got me confused.

Nobody is insulting anyone. You seem to be the only one who showed up expressing their displeasure with the discussion (which you actually like).

Oh-there may be one other, but they don't count. They are from Orlando. Who cares what Disney folk feel like anyway? LOL :D

Stress? But you haven't lost a vacation right? Don't see any reason to stress out.... Now you got me confused.

Nobody is insulting anyone. You seem to be the only one who showed up expressing their displeasure with the discussion (which you actually like).

Oh-there may be one other, but they don't count. They are from Orlando. Who cares what Disney folk feel like anyway? LOL :D

Er, you first post seems insulting to me, calling people stupid etc.

Its not me stressed:rolleyes: but the people who are trying to sort the mess out are and trying to recoup some of their loss.

And no I dont like people insulting those that have had this happen to them, telling them they are stupid and get over it etc. There is no need to be so rude.

A most INTERESTING article on how travel insurance would pay for a volcanic eruption....

I am still looking for something that discusses CRUISES though.

Source:

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/answers-to-questions-about-travel-insurance-and-the-volcano/?src=busln

We bought travel insurance for our trip to Italy and France. We (hopefully) fly to Rome on Friday. I’m assuming if we are not able to go, our travel insurance will cover some of the costs. However, if we are able to get to Italy on schedule but are not able to get home on schedule (we are flying back from Paris) will our travel insurance cover it? We are locked into our travel dates and are really hopeful we can still enjoy this much anticipated vacation, but I am confused by whether this event is anticipated or not at this point. Posted by Jill, New York

A.The key here is when you bought the travel insurance, Mr. Grace said. If you bought it before volcanic ash-related flight disruptions, policies like those described in this post would generally cover both situations, especially considering that flights are starting to resume in Europe.

“Right now both Paris and Italy are open, I believe,” Mr. Grace said. So whether the flights will be operating when you’re set to go “is unforeseen,” he said, and as long as you bought the insurance before all of the volcanic activity, you “would be covered for cancellation if you can’t get there and for interruptions.” Still, Mr. Grace said you should check with your particular insurer just to be 100 percent certain.

But if you purchased the insurance since the disruptions began, it’s not going to cover you unless you had a policy with a cancel-for-any-reason rider that included the volcanic ash as an allowed reason (Mr. Grace said that about 50 percent of insurers offer such riders, down from about 10 out of 12 Tuesday. “We have been getting more and more data back about how they are responding,” he said).

Q.I purchased my flight to Europe with frequent-flier miles. If the flight is canceled and the airline imposes a mileage and/or cash fee for reposting the miles to my account, does my travel insurance cover this loss? Posted by Jeanne, Indianapolis

A.It depends on the policy and the insurer, Mr. Grace said. Some policies, but not most, include coverage for such fees up to a limit of about $200 to $250, he said. In the future, if you plan to use frequent-flier miles for a trip and purchase travel insurance, Mr. Grace recommended asking insurers if they covered these fees.

Q.Does the travel insurance pay the daily maximum stipend on interrupted flights automatically, or does the insured have to provide receipts for hotels, etc.? For example, if I’m stuck in a city waiting for a new flight and stay with a friend instead of booking a hotel, am I still entitled to the daily allowance under the policy? Posted by Jeanne, Indianapolis

A.The travel insurance delay stipend is receipts-based, meaning insurers reimburse you for added meal and accommodation costs you incur, Mr. Grace said. So, if you are staying with a friend, meals out that you have receipts for would be covered, but you wouldn’t be reimbursed for accommodation since you didn’t pay out-of-pocket for it.

A most INTERESTING article on how travel insurance would pay for a volcanic eruption....

I am still looking for something that discusses CRUISES though.

Source:

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/answers-to-questions-about-travel-insurance-and-the-volcano/?src=busln

We bought travel insurance for our trip to Italy and France. We (hopefully) fly to Rome on Friday. I’m assuming if we are not able to go, our travel insurance will cover some of the costs. However, if we are able to get to Italy on schedule but are not able to get home on schedule (we are flying back from Paris) will our travel insurance cover it? We are locked into our travel dates and are really hopeful we can still enjoy this much anticipated vacation, but I am confused by whether this event is anticipated or not at this point. Posted by Jill, New York

A.The key here is when you bought the travel insurance, Mr. Grace said. If you bought it before volcanic ash-related flight disruptions, policies like those described in this post would generally cover both situations, especially considering that flights are starting to resume in Europe.

“Right now both Paris and Italy are open, I believe,” Mr. Grace said. So whether the flights will be operating when you’re set to go “is unforeseen,” he said, and as long as you bought the insurance before all of the volcanic activity, you “would be covered for cancellation if you can’t get there and for interruptions.” Still, Mr. Grace said you should check with your particular insurer just to be 100 percent certain.

But if you purchased the insurance since the disruptions began, it’s not going to cover you unless you had a policy with a cancel-for-any-reason rider that included the volcanic ash as an allowed reason (Mr. Grace said that about 50 percent of insurers offer such riders, down from about 10 out of 12 Tuesday. “We have been getting more and more data back about how they are responding,” he said).

Q.I purchased my flight to Europe with frequent-flier miles. If the flight is canceled and the airline imposes a mileage and/or cash fee for reposting the miles to my account, does my travel insurance cover this loss? Posted by Jeanne, Indianapolis

A.It depends on the policy and the insurer, Mr. Grace said. Some policies, but not most, include coverage for such fees up to a limit of about $200 to $250, he said. In the future, if you plan to use frequent-flier miles for a trip and purchase travel insurance, Mr. Grace recommended asking insurers if they covered these fees.

Q.Does the travel insurance pay the daily maximum stipend on interrupted flights automatically, or does the insured have to provide receipts for hotels, etc.? For example, if I’m stuck in a city waiting for a new flight and stay with a friend instead of booking a hotel, am I still entitled to the daily allowance under the policy? Posted by Jeanne, Indianapolis

A.The travel insurance delay stipend is receipts-based, meaning insurers reimburse you for added meal and accommodation costs you incur, Mr. Grace said. So, if you are staying with a friend, meals out that you have receipts for would be covered, but you wouldn’t be reimbursed for accommodation since you didn’t pay out-of-pocket for it.

Well I can tell you now, there are a lot people on the news this last week saying their insurance have said they will not be paying out. Or they will pay only a small percentage.

Interesting conversation. While I feel very sad for the people that have missed their vacation I'm not really sure what everyone expects Royal Caribbean and the other cruise lines to do. They offered a product (cruise). That product was available. If anyone should be expected to pay, I'd look closer to the airlines. They were the ones that were not able to provide the service. However, I'll definitely pay more attention to what's included in my travel insurance from now on;)

Ahhhhh.....

Finally, the word, CRUISE, comes into play.

This confirms it. It is still a little shady on whether or not a basic plan would cover the cost of the cruise. But, it appears it will as it is being treated as a weather event

However, CANCEL FOR ANY REASON, will cover it. No questions asked....

So the moral of the story is get travel insurance and NOT blame the cruiseline for you choice to have not obtained it.....

Source: http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/travel-insurance-and-the-volcano/?src=busln

If you bought travel insurance before drifting Icelandic volcanic ash started disrupting international flights, you might be wondering what travel expenses it will cover. Meanwhile, if you haven’t bought it yet, you may be wondering whether you want insurance for next year’s trip and whatever natural phenomenon could strand you then (or keep you stuck at home).

To provide some guidance, we turned to Jim Grace, the president of the US Travel Insurance Association and president of InsureMyTrip.com, a Web site that aggregates travel insurance offers.

According to Mr. Grace, the typical travel insurance policy is generally a bundle of different types of coverage. It might include coverage for medical evacuation, lost bags, reimbursement of certain costs related to trip cancellation prior to departure for unforeseen reasons, or interruption of a trip for the same unforeseen reasons. Among the unforeseen reasons: weather, injury, terrorism or bankruptcy of the travel provider. (See more about what travel insurance typically includes here and here.)

Generally, such a policy could cost 4 to 8 percent of a trip’s costs, depending on how much coverage you purchase. A 4 percent policy, for instance, would cover only about $500 for lost bags, while an 8 percent policy could cover up to $2,500.

So what does this mean for volcano-related trip disruptions or others like it?

Mr. Grace said travel disruptions related to the drifting Icelandic volcanic ash were generally being treated as weather-related trip cancellations for those who had not started their trips, and as weather-related trip interruptions for those who were stranded. In fact, according to this article in The New York Times on Tuesday, some travel insurance experts expect volcano-related claims to total millions of dollars.

According to Mr. Grace, travel insurance companies will typically reimburse any nonrefundable, prepaid travel expenses (like hotel, tour, cruise or airfare charges), up to the amount of coverage you purchased. They will also cover the additional travel costs of getting you back home again, up to 150 percent of the original trip cost.

In addition, for those stranded, the typical policy also provides a “travel delay” stipend of anywhere from $150 to $250 a day to cover the costs of hotel and food you may incur while you are stranded and trying to make other travel arrangements.

No matter how long you are stuck, however, the policy may have a cap of about $1,500 on what it will pay for the stipend on any given trip. Given London hotel prices, some stranded travelers may already be running up against that limit.

Still, the question of exactly what travel costs will be covered depends on the details of your particular trip and the wording of the policy. For that reason, if you have insurance and are stuck under the current ash cloud, Mr. Grace recommends calling the assistance phone lines most travel insurers offer before spending a bunch of money in an attempt to get home.

Representatives at the insurance company can often help you book a trip home and confirm that it will be covered by the insurance.

If you are planning a trip and are wondering whether to buy travel insurance, you should keep in mind that if you buy the most basic policy described above, it will not cover cancellation and interruption costs related to the current eruption. That is because it is no longer an unforeseen event.

Still, if travel returns to normal for a while, any future volcano-related interruption may be treated as a new unforeseen event, Mr. Grace said, especially if geologists consider it a new eruption or if it is coming from a different nearby volcano.

In addition, you can buy a more expensive travel policy that includes a rider that would generally allow you to cancel a trip for any reason. Such a policy generally costs 6 to 12 percent of the cost of the trip and would, in most cases, allow you to a cancel a trip for a volcano-related reason.

You have to purchase such policies, however, within seven to 14 days of paying for your trip, and you would have to cancel your trip at least 48 hours prior to departure.

The caveat: two out of the dozen or so insurers that offer the cancel-for-any reason rider do not include foreseen events among the allowable reasons for canceling a trip. Before opting for any kind of travel insurance policy, make sure to talk with the agent or provider about what is covered.

“It’s really important to speak to the company, explain to them your situation and what you are looking for in coverage to make sure your policy is covering what you expect,” Mr. Grace said.

Have you been impacted by the volcano? What has travel insurance covered and not covered for you?

Well I can tell you now, there are a lot people on the news this last week saying their insurance have said they will not be paying out. Or they will pay only a small percentage.

My sources that I cited state the volcano related claims payment will be in the millions of dollars.

ohhh dear this is getting heated.

as I said earlier my insurance wont pay out as its an act of god. Fortunately I only phoned for advice IF we were going to be affected and it looks like were going to be ok,

I may be wrong but i dont think theres anything in UK insurances that allows you to cancel for any reason. Here we have whats called fully comprehensive insurance which covers all eventuallities. but unfortunately volcanic ash isnt covered .

What I think is unfair is that Some insurance companies are paying out and others are not. My company say the underwriters will not pay out and thats that. end of story Im talking about one of the leading companies here in the UK who charge a great deal of money for insurance ( which you have to have before you can go on holiday all Uk travel agents insist on this at time of booking )but unfortunately they seem to never want to pay out.

My heart aches for all the people who have or are going to loose a great deal of money. I know we are in our late 60s and certainly couldnt afford to loose such a lot of money and certainly as you think you are fully covered by your insurance .

I know in future I will only cruise from the UK and Im going to change my insurance company.

Ahhhhh.....

Finally, the word, CRUISE, comes into play.

This confirms it. It is still a little shady on whether or not a basic plan would cover the cost of the cruise. But, it appears it will as it is being treated as a weather event

However, CANCEL FOR ANY REASON, will cover it. No questions asked....

So the moral of the story is get travel insurance and NOT blame the cruiseline for you choice to have not obtained it.....

Source: http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/travel-insurance-and-the-volcano/?src=busln

If you bought travel insurance before drifting Icelandic volcanic ash started disrupting international flights, you might be wondering what travel expenses it will cover. Meanwhile, if you haven’t bought it yet, you may be wondering whether you want insurance for next year’s trip and whatever natural phenomenon could strand you then (or keep you stuck at home).

To provide some guidance, we turned to Jim Grace, the president of the US Travel Insurance Association and president of InsureMyTrip.com, a Web site that aggregates travel insurance offers.

According to Mr. Grace, the typical travel insurance policy is generally a bundle of different types of coverage. It might include coverage for medical evacuation, lost bags, reimbursement of certain costs related to trip cancellation prior to departure for unforeseen reasons, or interruption of a trip for the same unforeseen reasons. Among the unforeseen reasons: weather, injury, terrorism or bankruptcy of the travel provider. (See more about what travel insurance typically includes here and here.)

Generally, such a policy could cost 4 to 8 percent of a trip’s costs, depending on how much coverage you purchase. A 4 percent policy, for instance, would cover only about $500 for lost bags, while an 8 percent policy could cover up to $2,500.

So what does this mean for volcano-related trip disruptions or others like it?

Mr. Grace said travel disruptions related to the drifting Icelandic volcanic ash were generally being treated as weather-related trip cancellations for those who had not started their trips, and as weather-related trip interruptions for those who were stranded. In fact, according to this article in The New York Times on Tuesday, some travel insurance experts expect volcano-related claims to total millions of dollars.

According to Mr. Grace, travel insurance companies will typically reimburse any nonrefundable, prepaid travel expenses (like hotel, tour, cruise or airfare charges), up to the amount of coverage you purchased. They will also cover the additional travel costs of getting you back home again, up to 150 percent of the original trip cost.

In addition, for those stranded, the typical policy also provides a “travel delay” stipend of anywhere from $150 to $250 a day to cover the costs of hotel and food you may incur while you are stranded and trying to make other travel arrangements.

No matter how long you are stuck, however, the policy may have a cap of about $1,500 on what it will pay for the stipend on any given trip. Given London hotel prices, some stranded travelers may already be running up against that limit.

Still, the question of exactly what travel costs will be covered depends on the details of your particular trip and the wording of the policy. For that reason, if you have insurance and are stuck under the current ash cloud, Mr. Grace recommends calling the assistance phone lines most travel insurers offer before spending a bunch of money in an attempt to get home.

Representatives at the insurance company can often help you book a trip home and confirm that it will be covered by the insurance.

If you are planning a trip and are wondering whether to buy travel insurance, you should keep in mind that if you buy the most basic policy described above, it will not cover cancellation and interruption costs related to the current eruption. That is because it is no longer an unforeseen event.

Still, if travel returns to normal for a while, any future volcano-related interruption may be treated as a new unforeseen event, Mr. Grace said, especially if geologists consider it a new eruption or if it is coming from a different nearby volcano.

In addition, you can buy a more expensive travel policy that includes a rider that would generally allow you to cancel a trip for any reason. Such a policy generally costs 6 to 12 percent of the cost of the trip and would, in most cases, allow you to a cancel a trip for a volcano-related reason.

You have to purchase such policies, however, within seven to 14 days of paying for your trip, and you would have to cancel your trip at least 48 hours prior to departure.

The caveat: two out of the dozen or so insurers that offer the cancel-for-any reason rider do not include foreseen events among the allowable reasons for canceling a trip. Before opting for any kind of travel insurance policy, make sure to talk with the agent or provider about what is covered.

“It’s really important to speak to the company, explain to them your situation and what you are looking for in coverage to make sure your policy is covering what you expect,” Mr. Grace said.

Have you been impacted by the volcano? What has travel insurance covered and not covered for you?

Thanks for your advice. :)

Interesting conversation. While I feel very sad for the people that have missed their vacation I'm not really sure what everyone expects Royal Caribbean and the other cruise lines to do. They offered a product (cruise). That product was available. If anyone should be expected to pay, I'd look closer to the airlines. They were the ones that were not able to provide the service. However, I'll definitely pay more attention to what's included in my travel insurance from now on;)

What they expect them to do it refund them their cruise, or give them 100 percent credit to a future cruise as they have done with passengers that book airfare with RCI as it seems.

This is a very good wake up call and remember to get that Cancel for any reason rider. You be glad you did. Sleep easy at night.

ohhh dear this is getting heated.

as I said earlier my insurance wont pay out as its an act of god. Fortunately I only phoned for advice IF we were going to be affected and it looks like were going to be ok,

I may be wrong but i dont think theres anything in UK insurances that allows you to cancel for any reason. Here we have whats called fully comprehensive insurance which covers all eventuallities. but unfortunately volcanic ash isnt covered .

What I think is unfair is that Some insurance companies are paying out and others are not. My company say the underwriters will not pay out and thats that. end of story Im talking about one of the leading companies here in the UK who charge a great deal of money for insurance ( which you have to have before you can go on holiday all Uk travel agents insist on this at time of booking )but unfortunately they seem to never want to pay out.

My heart aches for all the people who have or are going to loose a great deal of money. I know we are in our late 60s and certainly couldnt afford to loose such a lot of money and certainly as you think you are fully covered by your insurance .

I know in future I will only cruise from the UK and Im going to change my insurance company.

Nah- I just turned on the A/C to high and had a drop shipment of dry ice placed in this thread to toss some folks in an igloo. :p

I may be wrong, or I think doesn't amount to anything in the debate. We need hard facts. As far as I know from the FACTS it appears to be considered a weather event on our side of the pond. I still like to see it written where claims are being denied overseas for the volcanic event.

It is a wait and see game now.

What they expect them to do it refund them their cruise, or give them 100 percent credit to a future cruise as they have done with passengers that book airfare with RCI as it seems.

This is a very good wake up call and remember to get that Cancel for any reason rider. You be glad you did. Sleep easy at night.

Jennywren seems to think we cannot get that kind of insurance here in the UK, I am not sure, I have never heard of it. Does anyone know?

But booking with RCI seems the best bet to insure you if they are doing this

Archived