Pacific Dawn Limping Back To Brisbane

My neighbour is on this cruise. She was sent an SMS again last night confirming boarding will take place between 1500 and 1700 but it didn't say what time they would sail..... I wonder why... :rolleyes:

Anyway she's on her way up to board the ship now. At least they can enjoy a Sunday afternoon cocktail once on board.

I wouldn't mind just staying onboard at the wharf for a couple of days as long as I don't have to cook or clean I'm happy... ;)

Once those bow ropes are released she's on her own......

Jillybean:)

Just received an update from my neighbour who is now settled in her Mini Suite, that they are expected to sail at 8.00pm.

Pacific Dawn is scheduled to leave Fisherman Island at 11pm this (Sunday) evening.

Thanks Skyrules for that information. Is that from a reliable source?

My neighbour is on board the ship was told 8.00pm so I was thinking there must still be problems as it hadn't left yet.

Thanks Skyrules for that information. Is that from a reliable source?

My neighbour is on board the ship was told 8.00pm so I was thinking there must still be problems as it hadn't left yet.

I got the time from the Port of Brisbane Shipping Movements log.

This message posted on Facebook from P & O.

We know how passionate everyone is about Pacific Dawn and her upcoming cruise schedule. So P&O Cruises is pleased to report Pacific Dawn sailed from Brisbane last night with hundreds of passengers eager to start their cruise holiday.

We are also pleased to report the electrical fault in Pacific Dawn's propulsion system ...was isolated and fixed by our technical team. Pacific Dawn arrived in Brisbane on Anzac Day, a day later than scheduled due to her reduced operating speed returning from a cruise of the Queensland coast. Her officers and crew combined with passengers, including a number of veterans, to hold a very special Anzac Day dawn service onboard early yesterday.

P&O Cruises thanks passengers who arrived home yesterday and those who departed last night for their patience and understanding. Everyone who has sailed on Pacific Dawn or is expecting to do so in the future will be pleased to know she is making good progress to Noumea.

Thanks for that Jilly. Friend from work was returning on her. I am booked for August. I am looking forward to it. I have been on a smallish ship (pac sun), large ship (Diamond) and I now I will experience a middle sized ship. Looking forward to seeing what size ship I prefer :)

All kinds of shipping sites are posted here regularly by several people. Googling the ports individually will find them as will googling for webcams. Don't forget guys - "Make Google your friend!" That's what we are always told on Genealogy sites. :);) Mind you it sometimes takes a while to find them.

The ongoing problems with Pacific Dawn are indicative of the contempt with which Australian cruise passengers are treated by Carnival which owns the Carnival, P&O, Princess and Cunard lines amongst others. They therefore control the ships that we get and the policies that control the prices we as Australians must pay for cruises on any of these ships.

If you want to book a cruise on an Australian based ship, chances are you will be on a ship that could be more than 20 years old. P&O’s Pacific Sun was launched as the Carnival Jubilee in 1986, Pacific Pearl was originally Star Princess and was launched in 1989 and it’s sistership Pacific Dawn was originally the Regal Princess, launched in 1990. Even the Pacific Jewell, ex Crown Princess was launched in 1990. Princess’s Sun Princess and Dawn Princess are a little newer at 1995 and 1997 respectively similar to Royal Caribbean’s Rhapsody of the Seas and Legend of the Seas which were also launched in 1995 and 1997. The point that I want to make is that these ships have been positioned here in Australia not only to meet a market need but also because they are no longer attractive to prospective passengers from other markets. In other words, the Cruise lines are sending their oldest ships to Australia because they reason that we will accept them where other markets won’t.

If our cruise market is so strong against other markets that are currently weak, why aren’t we getting the latest ships from these cruise lines?:confused:

here is the site for you to check shipp movments, the first one is for short term.

http://www.qships.transport.qld.gov.au/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

the sec one is for long term booking

http://www.portbris.com.au/ShippingOperations/ShippingSchedule

im shore you will work out is works, these sites people on keep them a secret so if you ever want to know a link just ask I will find it for you. ps remember to add the links to your favorites as this will gone soon.

Thied do I detect a note of paranoia? There is nothing secret about shipping movements..

On the subject I hope the repairs have in fact totally fixed the problem and the passengers on board can look forward to a great cruise without any mechanical hiccoughs.

Yes Diecastaussie, we have been saying all the above on here for the last few months. Everyone knows we get all the castoffs! :D It will probably never change because we can't compete with the American and European market.

The ongoing problems with Pacific Dawn are indicative of the contempt with which Australian cruise passengers are treated by Carnival which owns the Carnival, P&O, Princess and Cunard lines amongst others. They therefore control the ships that we get and the policies that control the prices we as Australians must pay for cruises on any of these ships.

If you want to book a cruise on an Australian based ship, chances are you will be on a ship that could be more than 20 years old. P&O’s Pacific Sun was launched as the Carnival Jubilee in 1986, Pacific Pearl was originally Star Princess and was launched in 1989 and it’s sistership Pacific Dawn was originally the Regal Princess, launched in 1990. Even the Pacific Jewell, ex Crown Princess was launched in 1990. Princess’s Sun Princess and Dawn Princess are a little newer at 1995 and 1997 respectively similar to Royal Caribbean’s Rhapsody of the Seas and Legend of the Seas which were also launched in 1995 and 1997. The point that I want to make is that these ships have been positioned here in Australia not only to meet a market need but also because they are no longer attractive to prospective passengers from other markets. In other words, the Cruise lines are sending their oldest ships to Australia because they reason that we will accept them where other markets won’t.

If our cruise market is so strong against other markets that are currently weak, why aren’t we getting the latest ships from these cruise lines?:confused:

The answer is very easy, just don't book on them. They are charging very high prices for them. As other posters have said you can get a good deal overseas and even with paying the airfares you are better of then paying P&O's prices.

It is up to the consumer to decide if you want to cruise on them.

It is a case of supply and demand, and with all the extra cruise ships coming downunder, it may well force P&O to review their pricing (more sales), especially in the summer months when these ships will be here.

Hi,

First a couple of corrections, as far as I know, Pacific Pearl (ex Fair Majesty, Star Princes, Arcadia, OV1) was designed and built for Sitmar Cruises in France just prior to the carnival/P&O take over (she was to have a sister ship but this order was cancelled and the twin project not completed).

At the same time Sitmar also had designed and ordered two additional larger ships (inspired by Renzo Piano and to be built in Italy) these ships as far as I can tell had not been commenced before the takeover, however, P & O continued with their construction and they have become Pacific Dawn (ex Regal Princess) and Pacific Jewel (ex Crown Princess, A'Rosa Blu, AIDA Blu, Ocean Village 2) they are sister ships:), they have minor external differences and some differing internal layout (eg 'the dome').

Ironically we have ended up with the last 3 Sitmar ships. They are not new ships but if maintained properly should have a fair (no pun intended):D few years in them yet.

I don't think you can compare and ex Sitmar/Princess ships to an ex holiday class Carnival ship (they would have a totally diferent level of appointments because the difference in there target markets), still there are people who still enjoy travelling on Pacific Sun. (We are going to try her ourselves later this year whilst waiting for Pacific Pearl to come).

I really think that older is not necessarily worse and if you take this opinion you could limit your cruise experience, but this does not excuse P & O from properly maintaining and servicing their fleet to provide an appropriate level of service, they are not cheap. I also think that a lot of CC members would book immediately if their old favorite ship was to miraculously come back from the dead (Alang), (even without balconies, spas etc and with open prominade decks).;)

Well I would! :)

Jenny

I have noticed most of the newer ships have NO BACK DECKS!!! :( They are all private balconies. There is nothing better than lying back on a lounger looking over the wake, book in one hand and cocktail in the other!

Bring back the back decks, I say! :cool:

I also think that a lot of CC members would book immediately if their old favorite ship was to miraculously come back from the dead (Alang), (even without balconies, spas etc and with open prominade decks).;)

My next cruise is on the Dawn, but my last was on the Athena - Built in 1948. So in comparison, the Dawn is practically a child. :)

(To be fair, the Athena was refitted extensively in 1989)

I have noticed most of the newer ships have NO BACK DECKS!!! :( They are all private balconies. There is nothing better than lying back on a lounger looking over the wake, book in one hand and cocktail in the other!

Bring back the back decks, I say! :cool:

hi sandy, if you want to cruise on a ship go on the Diamond Princess....its first class

rkmw

As Jenny said old ships can be great if properly maintained which is exactly the problem with the P&O (Aust) boats. It is obvious that despite charging premium prices per diem the money isn't finding its way back into proper maintainence. It seems that the ships are sent here to finish their working lives and spending money on them is not viewed as viable.

It is interesting to note that Micky Arison Chairman and CEO of Carnival (owners of P&O) stated during the building of QM2 that cruise ships had a working life expectancy of 20 years whereas QM2 was built to work for 40 years; strange that his corporation then sends cruise ships that are already 20 years old to Australia.

As for comparisons, we will be sailing on Pacific Sun (4 nights) in August and we will have to see if this ship justifies its per diem.:confused:

it's a few years since we have been on the Diamond but I thought there was a lot or room on the back decks:confused:

Jane

They don't go right across the back of the ship like the P Dawn, P Sun and older ships which can fit lots of sun loungers on them.

It doesn't matter how many refurbishments 'old' ships have....the bottom line is they're still 'old'.

Some of the components on ships cannot be refurbished therefore the ship begins to look dated.

Like us, the older we get the more frequently we need repairing and refurbishment.....:p

What looked good 30 years ago.....doesn't look as good 30 years later.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jillybean:D

Archived