Pacific Dawn Limping Back To Brisbane

Who pays for missed flights with a cruise arriving back that late? I've read my Travel insurance (CoverMore) and best I can tell it doesn't really fit into any category.

When our cruise was cancelled last year, P & O sent out a letter a few weeks later asking us to provide any documents regarding expenses that were incurred such as cancelled flights so that they could refund them. I assume that they would do the same thing in this situation.

I guess if there is no other ships booked for Portside 24 or 25 April that tells me that the maitenance/repairs to be carried out on Pacific Dawn are such that the ship has to be at a different location than Portside.

Jillybean:eek:

Also.....they could be taking her to the Grain Wharf simply because, with the power problems, it is too difficult to take her right in to Portside. :confused:

My elderly Mother is on the Cruise that is supposed to leave this Saturday.

She has two friends from the retirement village where she lives going with her as first timers. (she talked them into it)

Now they are all worrying about what is going on.

They should get there money back on the spot, or a credit for another Cruise, giving them a totally changed departure day and itinerary with a few bucks reimburse is not good enough.

P & O are starting to look pretty ordinary and I am reconsidering our January Cruise, I am locked into the one in June as I have paid in full.

Machinery needs maintenance and shipping lines know that and should have the required plans in place to have a system that is reliable.

Fed up with the whole poor set up.

:mad:

News just in from our Travel Agent, she was told by P&O THAT EMBARKATION IS NOW BETWEEN 3.30PM AND 7.30PM on Sunday the 25th, we will miss Vila and now will have 2 Port days being Noumea on the 28th April and Poum on 29th April, we will also recieve onboard credit = to 1 night of what we paid for the trip. Will update if I hear anything else.

Geeze, I know which port I'd rather miss and it isn't Vila. What are they thinking???????

They are thinking distance Eileen I guess, Noumea is closer.

I got sick of waiting on the P&O site our agent is saying get to Portside by 3:00-3:30 and they are using Buses to transfer people to Fishermans Islands and there will be two nights reimbursement.

I am still wondering how they can fix the Ship fast enough to be ready on time that night.

I think they are playing silly buggers.

Hi Macca, I'm so sorry for the worry your Mum is having, Soooo frustrating, I know. Hoping they can fix it properly in dry dock. I'm darned sure P&O are cursing their luck at the moment, also.

Incidentally, the hypocrisy of someone here amazes me. ;););) Keeps bagging P&O, but reckons is going on my next cruise. Hahaha, sooo funny! :D

Hope everything is sorted out to your satisfaction, ASAP.

Regards

Hi Macca, I'm so sorry for the worry your Mum is having, Soooo frustrating, I know. Hoping they can fix it properly in dry dock. I'm darned sure P&O are cursing their luck at the moment, also.

Incidentally, the hypocrisy of someone here amazes me. ;););) Keeps bagging P&O, but reckons is going on my next cruise. Hahaha, sooo funny! :D

Hope everything is sorted out to your satisfaction, ASAP.

Regards

Thanks for that Sandy.

Its a tough one, I would rather our cruise was buggered up than my mothers.

They do need to look at what they are doing I think.

She seems to be ok with it but I worry that it may get worse.

:(

I am still wondering how they can fix the Ship fast enough to be ready on time that night.

This is my concern as well. I can't see how with the ship limping in to port that they expect it to be fixed and ready to go again in a few hours.

We have friends with us going on their first cruise. I hope I'm wrong but we may be in for a testing time.

They are thinking distance Eileen I guess, Noumea is closer.

I got sick of waiting on the P&O site our agent is saying get to Portside by 3:00-3:30 and they are using Buses to transfer people to Fishermans Islands and there will be two nights reimbursement.

Macca

The Pacific Dawn expierenced this same problem back in January 2009. The Pacific Dawn limped back into in Sydney after 3pm & then left in the early hours of the next morning all OK.

My feeling is that they must be aware of how long it will take to be fixed. Another feeling is they already have a replacement part in Brisbane in readiness for her dry dock period and will fit it in now.

Geeze' date=' I know which port I'd rather miss and it isn't Vila. What are they thinking???????[/quote']

I'm with you Billy and Charlie's Mum, Port Vila is the only port of call that offers some worthwhile shopping and duty free.

I am now so happy we cancelled this cruise.....

Originally I was so excited at the thought of finally having Pacific Dawn based in our local port.....now I'm not.

Jillybean:)

Macca

The Pacific Dawn expierenced this same problem back in January 2009. The Pacific Dawn limped back into in Sydney after 3pm & then left in the early hours of the next morning all OK.

My feeling is that they must be aware of how long it will take to be fixed. Another feeling is they already have a replacement part in Brisbane in readiness for her dry dock period and will fit it in now.

I hope you are right.

The recent fiasco with the Sun worries me, they kept moving the goal posts.

Its a shame when people that can only just organize or afford a cruise have to deal with some of the stuff dealt up by the Cruise lines.

Fingers crossed it all goes ok On Sunday, its the small things that do the damage, we were going to drop Mum off and go shopping then go down to the park on the River for a BBQ and all the family wave her off. That is not going to happen now.

Well I also booked and I have been here before with the Sky and ended up on the Gold Coast but I have every thing crossed as tomorrow I finnish my current position and start the new one on the 4th May.

I have three special friends coming who have never cruised and I so wanted to show them villa:(

Yatchet, don't you know that if you whinge and complain and tell lies about everything, and complain about P&O everywhere you go, they put you in a suite to shut you up! :D:D:D

You know the saying: The squeaky wheel gets the most oil!

Jeez, I'd better start whinging and complaining, hadn't I? Then I might get put in a suite and not have to pay for anything. :cool::cool::cool:

Back on topic,,

From my knowledge of diesel electric propulsion systems, I would be surprised if the fault can be properley repaired in one day, they will probably try to patch her up until her dry dock, next month from memory.

According to this tracker Pacific Dawn is somewhere between Yorkies Knob and Townsville. A report from a passenger said they were in Cairns for two days trying to fix the problem, and were not successful, so they missed Willis Island and are cruising at only around 11 knots. I can't see them arriving in Brisbane by Sunday at that rate...:confused:

http://aprs.fi/?call=pacific%20dawn&mt=m&z=11&timerange=3600

Jillybean:)

Archived