Best NYC airport and hotels for Carnival

charliechill

My friend and I are taking our first cruise of New England/Canada on the Carnival Glory on September 25. We would like to know which airport is best to fly into to get us to the NYC port cheapest. Also, are there any recommendations on hotels near the port? Or is a hotel near the port perhaps not a good idea? We will probably spend a day or two experiencing the city and would like a reasonable hotel where we can leave our bags while we sight see up until the time we board the ship.

Thanks in advance!!!

I believe that Carnival still uses the Manhattan facility on 12th Avenue (near 50th St) as opposed to the Redhook facility in Brooklyn, but this really is not an important issue. For those that do not get to come to NYC on a regular basis, it really makes sense to fly-in at least one day early and enjoy the city. For getting into midtown Manhattan LaGuardia is the closest and Newark would be next. JFK is probably the biggest hassle of the three airports. As to hotels, we would suggest choosing whoever has the right price and amenities and you would want a decent location in midtown that gives you easy access to the most popular tourist parts of the city. If price is an issue shop around and perhaps even try Priceline. No matter where you stay you will need to take a taxi to the port facility...so there is no reason to worry about being a few blocks closer to the port. Personally, we prefer hotels up near Central Park, but many tourists like to get closer to the Times Square area.

Hank

I fly to NYC often since my BF has been living there for almost 2 years. We went on the cruise last year and are planning on going this year also. If money is issue the cheapest hotels I find are in Queens and Newark. The issue with Newark is to get into the city is a $15 each way/person to take the train to either Grand central station or Madison square Garden, I get them mixed up. From Queens you can find a hotel that is either right on the subway or will take you to the subway station. I stayed at Fairfield inn in Long island city last year and they had both airport pickup and subway pickup/depart. I am staying next week Fairfield inn Astoria and they have the same thing. I just got a map, bought unlimited subway pass and went out during the day while he had to work and it was so easy and the people are helpful if needed. Next week I am taking my sis there and we plan on riding the subway everywhere durning the day. I think it is safe at night but I can get turned around easily and just feel safer at daylight. I am from Memphis so I have never had any experience with a subway but I study the map and love to get off on a busy street and just walk. Most times at an intersection you will pass others looking at maps too and some people will offer help just because you are looking at a map! Also, the hotel will help getting you to the first place.

Last year we took a cab from the cruise terminal to the hotel in queens and it was $30. We could have taken the subway but you still have to take a cab to it. We got to the cruise by taking the train from a friends house and then a cab to the terminal.

I have flown into all three have had no issues with any but again JFK is much farther out. IN Newark, I have stayed in Wyndom many times and others I cant think of- but be careful you dont go too cheap as you can get into a really rundown area/hotel and you will not be able to walk anywhere. Again if you want to be in Manhatten I would not stay in Newark since the cost of the train takes away any savings and it takes about an hour to get there. When I stay in Queens, I can be at Times square in 15 min and thus can go back and forth all during the day to unload things and just rest a few.

Both cruises, I fly the day before/after so if there are any issues I wont miss the plane/cruise. Carnival last year was $200 more than if I booked my flight myself so I went the day before and used the money for the hotel. I have tried looking in Manhatten but the price deters me or I dont know the area. 7 years ago, I stayed at the New Yorker which is by Madison Square Garden and we just walked everwhere but the price has really jumped up but for ease it is of course easier to stay right in the city. I always book orbitz but look at the others too. Orbitz seems to save me money when I do airport/hotel. You can call them about staying a day before/after a cruise at the same hotel but with the days broken up.

Hope this helps!

My friend and I are taking our first cruise of New England/Canada on the Carnival Glory on September 25. We would like to know which airport is best to fly into to get us to the NYC port cheapest. Also, are there any recommendations on hotels near the port? Or is a hotel near the port perhaps not a good idea? We will probably spend a day or two experiencing the city and would like a reasonable hotel where we can leave our bags while we sight see up until the time we board the ship.

Thanks in advance!!!

Laguardia Airport is your best bet to fly into.

You are better off staying at a hotel on the west side in either midtown or upper west side. The cruise pier is on 50th street and 12th avenue.

Best Western President near Times Square is very affordable option, rooms run approx $200 here, renovated in 2009. Hotel Beacon on 75th and Broadway very reasonable, great residential area, five minute cab ride to pier. Another option is the Lucerne on 79th really nice place, great area.

Jonathan

Thanks in advance!!!

LaGuardia is easiest for getting into the city - probably about $40 cab fare. JFK is cheapest: $3.50 Airtrain to subway, then $2.25 fare to city - $5.75 per person, but considering the hassle and time spent, probably better to take cab from LaGuardia. Hotel Pennsylvania (33rd Street and Seventh Avenue) is centrallly located - about a $10 cab ride from the pier - starting at about $160 per night - old hotel, but clean and safe, and probably best price available for the middle of everything.

Like the poster above said, LaGuardia is a bit closer and a little cheaper to get to Manhattan from, but if airfiare is considerably cheaper to JFK, save $$$ on the airfare and spend a few minutes more and a few more bucks more for a cab, if you do use a cab. Most domestic flights will have better service in and out of LaGuardia, though. As far as hotels, check out all of the web sites for cheap hotels, you can save substantially. Again depending what you want to see/do in the city and getting over to the ship, in a long run spending a few more bucks for a cab but saving substantially on a hotel is worth investigating. Bottom line, if cost is an issue, do your homework and you'll save some cash.....which you can spend on foo-foo shi-shi drinks with little pink umbrellas in them on the ship. Also, upon your return, Carnival may offer airport transfers. You'll know what the cab costs coming in, so you can compare the prices.

To Manhattan and Brooklyn, LGA is the closest airport. LGA gets back up nearly the worst when it comes to weather with EWR being the next worst and JFK when the the longest runway(its closed for three months for repairs) is open the least bad(although not great either).

This has info on all the three airports and the various options

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1181199

There are so many factors to consider. You may get a cheaper fare to one AP or the other but then ground transporation costs will eat up any savings.

Also the words "reasonable" and "NYC hotel" do not go together. NYC is one of the most expensive cities in the world & space is a huge premium. Everything in Manhatten is relatively convenient to almost everything else. There just isn't that much real estate.

If you truly want to pay less than $300 per night for a safe, nice, clean room, use Priceline. Also understand your delux NYC room is barely going to be bigger than your cruise cabin but won't be as well designed.

Do your research on flights and hotels. Figure out how much the airfare AND transportation to the hotel would be when figuring flight costs. You can use http://nyc.taxiwiz.com/ or other web-based taxi calculator. And don't forget to add in baggage fees. Southwest or JetBlue might be a good deal even if the base rate is a bit higher, since they don't charge for the first bag.

When booking a hotel, don't consider rate only when determining cost. Look at location and determine how close you are to the things you want to do and see. Cabfare can really add up, so booking a location close to things might actually save you money even if you pay a bit more per night.

Hope this helps.

Do your research on flights and hotels. Figure out how much the airfare AND transportation to the hotel would be when figuring flight costs. You can use http://nyc.taxiwiz.com/ or other web-based taxi calculator. And don't forget to add in baggage fees. Southwest or JetBlue might be a good deal even if the base rate is a bit higher, since they don't charge for the first bag.

When booking a hotel, don't consider rate only when determining cost. Look at location and determine how close you are to the things you want to do and see. Cabfare can really add up, so booking a location close to things might actually save you money even if you pay a bit more per night.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I know Southwest allows 2 free bags

There are so many factors to consider. You may get a cheaper fare to one AP or the other but then ground transporation costs will eat up any savings.

Also the words "reasonable" and "NYC hotel" do not go together. NYC is one of the most expensive cities in the world & space is a huge premium. Everything in Manhatten is relatively convenient to almost everything else. There just isn't that much real estate.

If you truly want to pay less than $300 per night for a safe, nice, clean room, use Priceline. Also understand your delux NYC room is barely going to be bigger than your cruise cabin but won't be as well designed.

If you do your research you will find there are a variety of very nice hotels with affordable prices. While many of the upscale name brand hotels in New York City are exhorbitant there are a few upscale boutique hotels that most tourists are probably not familiar with.

The Lucerne Hotel on 79th between Columbus and Broadway is listed on Expedia for $209, The Beacon Hotel on 75th and Broadway is listed on Expedia for $195.

These are both upscale boutique hotels in a residential section of Manhattan's upper west side that is not teeming with tourists. They are appealing because they are close to many sights like Lincoln Center, Central Park, Museum of Natural History and dozens of restaurants. Also subway to Times Square is nearby and a quick ride. A cab to the pier on a weekend morning will take 7 minutes tops.

Jonathan

Thanks in advance!!!

Any one of the airports is close to the ship (the closest being Newark Airport in NJ). In terms of hotel, I chose to stay at the Holiday Inn on West 57th street, between 9th and 10th avenue. That's one of the closest. They have valet parking and a rooftop pool. it's convenient for me since I'll be married onboard and want to be close enough so that I don't make myself crazy trying to get there.

Any one of the airports is close to the ship (the closest being Newark Airport in NJ). In terms of hotel, I chose to stay at the Holiday Inn on West 57th street, between 9th and 10th avenue. That's one of the closest. They have valet parking and a rooftop pool. it's convenient for me since I'll be married onboard and want to be close enough so that I don't make myself crazy trying to get there.

LGA at 7 miles is closer than EWR at 11. It cost half as much by cab from LGA to Manhattan than EWR.

The parking at the Holiday Inn at 57th street is $25 per day(plus tips to the valet)

Archived