St. John ?????

We will be on a Canada/New England cruise next October. One of the ports is St. John (Bay of Fundy). Is that Newfoundland or New Brunswick? I am trying to plan excursions on our own in the ports.

Joy

St John, on the Bay of Fundy is definitely New Brunswick. The other is St John's Newfoundland. I know there is plenty to see and do in St John New Brunswick, but I have not been there, so cant give advice. But ST John ( no, s ) on the Bay of Fundy is New Brunswick. And I do know that the Bay of Fundy is very picturesque. Have a great cruise!:)

We will be on a Canada/New England cruise next October. One of the ports is St. John (Bay of Fundy). Is that Newfoundland or New Brunswick? I am trying to plan excursions on our own in the ports.

Joy

Take a look at the thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1147722 "2010 Saint John, Canada FAQ Guide and Interactive Map for Cruise Ship Visitors"

We have been to St. John already, and will be going back this summer on a family cruise. Call Freedom Tours (google them to see their website). They will take you on a private tour. You can also "ride the rapids". We did that on our first trip. This time, we are using Freedom Tours for a 5hr tour that includes St. Martin. Enjoy your trip.

Please notice that it is Saint John in New Brunswick on the Bay of Fundy and St. John's on the island of Newfoundland.

Please don't refer to it as St. John, it's a real pet peeve of the locals. (and you will be corrected quickly) As Maryann said, the Saint is always spelled out - never abbreviated. Guess where I grew up ;)

Enjoy the cruise, it's a beautiful and friendly little city!

My friend wrote this:

SAINT JOHN

It's really very simple,

Saint John is spelled out so.

It's wrongly spelled quite often

So we thought you'd like to know. It's blasphemy to contract the Saint

so spell Saint John completely,

and don't you dare add apostrophe 's'

to put it quite succinctly. We're proud of our fine city

for it's Saint John not St. John.

And we feel it's such a pity

to be referred to as St. John's. For the latter is in Newfoundland

a city as proud as we.

We both have very fine people

but separate identities. So, when you speak or write the name

though this verse be gone,

nothing else is quite the same;

for there's only one Saint John. Wayne D. Harrison

My friend wrote this:

SAINT JOHN

It's really very simple,

Saint John is spelled out so.

It's wrongly spelled quite often

So we thought you'd like to know. It's blasphemy to contract the Saint

so spell Saint John completely,

and don't you dare add apostrophe 's'

to put it quite succinctly. We're proud of our fine city

for it's Saint John not St. John.

And we feel it's such a pity

to be referred to as St. John's. For the latter is in Newfoundland

a city as proud as we.

We both have very fine people

but separate identities. So, when you speak or write the name

though this verse be gone,

nothing else is quite the same;

for there's only one Saint John. Wayne D. Harrison

Very nice of you to point that out. Unfortunately that won't help the OP or others trying to gather information to tour the area. Blasphemy aside, can you provide any information to help someone looking for assistance? Maybe I'm missing the humor? I certainly hope so.

Very nice of you to point that out. Unfortunately that won't help the OP or others trying to gather information to tour the area. Blasphemy aside, can you provide any information to help someone looking for assistance? Maybe I'm missing the humor? I certainly hope so.

It's a lighthearted peom hanging in a Saint John B&B - so yes, you missed the humour. Having the proper spelling of the city will certainly help the OP gather relevent information. They have also been referred to a FAQ I did for visitors to the area. Correcting the name of your city is acceptable IMO and generally well appreciated here. If I asked about "Fort Miami, FL" - would you not correct me?

I learn a lot from this site, but didn't find your contribution informative or helpfull.

On the other hand, I find the information Acey provides quite helpfull and thank him for his contributions. We've stopped at Saint John before and may do another cruise in the future. I was confused in my searches on the Saint John(s) assuming there was only one.

It's a lighthearted peom hanging in a Saint John B&B - so yes, you missed the humour. Having the proper spelling of the city will certainly help the OP gather relevent information. They have also been referred to a FAQ I did for visitors to the area. Correcting the name of your city is acceptable IMO and generally well appreciated here. If I asked about "Fort Miami, FL" - would you not correct me?

Acey, you're absolutely correct. I was out of line. Sorry. You've provided a great deal of valuable information. Please accept my apology.

Archived