Mariner leaving :( West Coast is sad

And all of that DOES spell revenue or a lack of it if people are afraid to travel to Mexico.

Might play a role, but honestly I think that the no 1 reason for leaving LA is REVENUE.

Originally Posted by PhoenixDawgCruising viewpost.gif

My only guess about this is because of Mexico's current travel crisis. I own a condo in Cabo, so I go there often.

For the past 3 years, between crime sprees, drug problems, kidnappings, beheadings, car jackings, swine flu, earthquakes, and a bunch of other unfortunate happenings in Mexico, people are really afraid to travel there. Not just cruises, flights and hotels are being given away, and it has been this way for a while.

Perhaps RCCL thinks this trend will continue, and wants to get out before it gets worse?

We were on the Oasis with you Dec Labadee Extravaganza

Any way anyone know which ship is coming to the west coast? :confused: We have a possible wedding in Puerto Vallarta port in May 2011.

Thanks

Brenda

Peoria, AZ

I heard somewhere that it was the Liberty that was going to replace the Mariner.

According to the blog, there won't be a replacement in the immediate future.

Why can't they have a Vision class ship here in the West Coast?

Good question. I don't know how the 7 night cruises sold when Vision was here. Mariner's arrival coincided with a 12% unemployment rate in California, not to mention the swine flu nonsense and now the drug wars. Even though the latter two don't really impact any of the port cities, Mexico is a hard sell. And it didn't help that the Carnival Splendor arrived at nearly the same time with over 3000 berths to fill.

So I can't say that I'm shocked that RCI is pulling her out of LA (and I won't really miss her as I'm just not a fan of the giant ships), but I do hope there's a smaller ship in our future.

Thats' MY dream! Just wish they did them during the summer. My husband is a teacher and 14 days is long. Maybe during Winter break sometime...

Looks like it's time to go to Hawaii on a 14 day Hawaiian cruise on Princess out of the west coast.

They should stop building so many "bigger and better" ships and fill the ones they have then! :mad:

But that would of just mean that the Mariner and/or Voyager would of gone to Florida. Florida is obviously still strong. California just wasn't able to support the Mariner. Alot has to do with the economy. California, Nevada, and Arizonia were 3 out of the 4 hardest hit states. Florida was the 4th state but benefits from being a major travel destination for Europeans and cruise port from the highly populated East coast. The area of the country that has suffered the least is the central states. That is where there is more vacation dollars at this point in time. Of course, we can't keep up with the Europeans. Economic well being always changes over time. Someday, the U.S. will have recovered competely (including CA) and the European market will not be as strong. That is when the ships will come home. Hopefully CA will get another ship before then and hopefully the Gulf Coast will get a full time ship.

Well, our daughter is going off to college in the fall, so that's where our cruising dollars are going for the next 4 years, anyway. :rolleyes: Maybe by the time she graduates, things will be better in the cruising world out here on the West coast. One can only wish. I'm a Princess fan, so maybe they'll have something decent waiting for us. And, hopefully, Mexico's troubles will decrease. If RCI brought back a large ship that sailed for 7 days, I might consider it for a good price.

Oh, relax. It's just an educated guess. Common sense says if the ships are being taken away, the likely reason is lack of profit. Care to offer a better explanation?

I could care less what ship they have on the west coast. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize the cruise line was losing money with the Mariner on the west coast. Anyone with half a brain realizes that. Why do you think they are moving it? When you make a mistake you cut your losses and correct it.

LOL. No we don't work for the cruise line. It's called common sense. Why would any cruise line pull a ship from a market if it is doing well? Think about it. It all comes down to $$$$$. Each ship has a target amount of money that it must make from not only sales from the ticket prices but also on board purchases. Galveston found this out several years ago when they lost a couple of ships. Now they only get one ship for about six months.

Also, explain why Carnival moved a couple of ships away from the west coast.

What all three of you seem to not understand is, common sense is not that common.

As a side note you never know this could backfire on them down the road especially if this Volcano thing drags on for years like it did in the 1800's.

How many flights were canceled in the 1800's?

. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize the cruise line was losing money with the Mariner on the west coast. Anyone with half a brain realizes that. Why do you think they are moving it? .
Not because they weren't profitable but they can make more in Europe and that's called greed. Loyalty seesm to be a one way street for RCL.

LOL. It's called common sense. Why would any cruise line pull a ship from a market if it is doing well? Think about it. It all comes down to $$$$$. Each ship has a target amount of money that it must make from not only sales from the ticket prices but also on board purchases.

.[/quote}Who says they didn't meet their targets and reset them with higher expectations from the Europeans?

Well guess I'll be going on Carnival if I want to do a mexican riviera cruise :p
Princess is much better then Carnival. I sailed on Princess' Sapphire ship last DEC to Mexico from San Pedro on the same itinerary as RCL and it was every bit as nice. The service was actually better but the activities on RCL were more interesting. If you like one you'll like the other.

This quote from Adam Goldstein says what they think of us Americans compared to their European market. We also would prefer home based cruises is he saying we don't?

Our readers will see that Mariner of the Seas’ move continues to increase Royal Caribbean’s capacity in Europe. In 2011, half of our 22 ship fleet will be there for the summer season. Our ships in the rapidly growing European market are capturing demand from Europeans to cruise closer to home.

That just doesn't make sense to me. Not your comment, just why wouldn't the cruise market be good from the west coast? Do people on this side of the country cruise less, enjoy the ocean less, go to Hawaii more? I just wish I had some idea as to why the cruise market is not any good over here. Perhaps it is that we have just the one itinerary with very little variation? I suppose that could be.

All I know is that I need to go get me some cheese for my Whine!!!!! :(:(:(

Maybe it is because there aren't many smokers on the west coast. They are the ones who drink and gamble the most and that is the company's bread and butter. It's all the nonsmokers fault.:D

On a Mariner cruise last year I had a chance to speak with the Captain. He said that one issue with having Mariner on the WC is that there isn't a commercial dry dock that can handle the ship.

I guess they didn't think it all through before the repositioned the Mariner to LA.

and apparently for higher rates............

But you know that is BULL!!!

The reason the Monarch left was to get higher cabin rates in Florida....I see that has worked out very well. :eek:

This does not make a D+ guy very happy....Might need to see how the compitition is going to treat us RCCL people. Maybe some coupons will be coming our way........Thanks Adam!!

Mike

Not because they weren't profitable but they can make more in Europe and that's called greed. Loyalty seesm to be a one way street for RCL.

LOL. It's called common sense. Why would any cruise line pull a ship from a market if it is doing well? Think about it. It all comes down to $$$$$. Each ship has a target amount of money that it must make from not only sales from the ticket prices but also on board purchases.

.[/quote}Who says they didn't meet their targets and reset them with higher expectations from the Europeans?.

No, it is called good business sense and if they were meeting their targets it would probably be less expensive to leave the ship on the West Coast rather than incur all the expenses involved in moving her to Europe. The repo cruise will probably be as unprofitable this time as it was when they moved her from Florida to California, but even so, they must believe that they can operate in Europe more profitably than they can by staying put.

On a Mariner cruise last year I had a chance to speak with the Captain. He said that one issue with having Mariner on the WC is that there isn't a commercial dry dock that can handle the ship.

A point that I keep making, but some nut keep saying, well if the Mariner comes someone will build a drydock for it.

Well, the Mariner arrived, but the drydock didn't, and now the Mariner is leaving. Disney will arrive in early 2011.

Well, our daughter is going off to college in the fall, so that's where our cruising dollars are going for the next 4 years, anyway. :rolleyes: Maybe by the time she graduates, things will be better in the cruising world out here on the West coast. One can only wish. I'm a Princess fan, so maybe they'll have something decent waiting for us. And, hopefully, Mexico's troubles will decrease. If RCI brought back a large ship that sailed for 7 days, I might consider it for a good price.

I've been thinking the exact same thing reading this. Paying two out of state tuitions this year is draining our vacation money for the next few years so theres no sense in me complaining, we're limited to short cruises for a while anyways :rolleyes:. Maybe the west coast will have a permanent ship again and we will have something besides Oasis and Allure out of south florida.

Greed? It's called good business CruisePRN.

.[/quote}Who says they didn't meet their targets and reset them with higher expectations from the Europeans?

Again, common sense says that Mariner is not producing here. If it were then they would have left the ship in place. It's not cheap for RCI to turn around and move this ship in again in a two year period.

This quote from Adam Goldstein says what they think of us Americans compared to their European market. We also would prefer home based cruises is he saying we don't?

Our readers will see that Mariner of the Seas’ move continues to increase Royal Caribbean’s capacity in Europe. In 2011, half of our 22 ship fleet will be there for the summer season. Our ships in the rapidly growing European market are capturing demand from Europeans to cruise closer to home.

Well I guess Europeons are willing to pay more with less discounting. How hard is it to understand that the cruise lines are going where the business is? Take a look at the other lines such as Princess and HAL to see how many ships are being moved to other parts of the world.

Gordon

Geographical ease will always stand in the way of business.........and I understand that and apprciate that...... being in the middle of the country, heck we have to fly East, West, North or South..........we just have to consider flying costs as part of the deal.

Fortunately if you are a stockholder.........geographical ease never stands in the way of business decisions from the board of directors.

I do feel for them however............

Archived