Anyone had experience of tendering in to Sorrento?

AmoMondo

I'll be on a med cruise where we tender in to Sorrento and I would like to know how far it is from were the tenders land to the main part of the town. is it walking distance? Also what would you recommend in Sorrento itself? (Don't want to go to Pompeii as I visited there last year when we docked in Naples)

many thanks

We tendered in and were picked up for a private tour, but I believe there is a public bus service to take you up the hill to the town. It could be walked, but would be quite a hike. There were also lots of cabs at the dock.

I've never tendered in Sorrento, but I did stay at a hotel last September which was located high above the ships at anchor. I would say the tender ride would be no more than 300-400km.

The tender will drop you off at Marina Piccola. You could walk up to the main part of the town from the marina, but it's quite challenging. I suggest you take a bus up to Piazza Tasso. Buy your ticket before you board the bus as you cannot buy one onboard.

Lew

It is a very uphill hike, although very short. Oceania laid on free shuttles on our visit last June, but if not, you can take a one Euro bus up to the Plaza Tasso. Do not take a taxi, which will rip you off big time there for the five-minute ride.

Thanks all.

Where do you buy bus tickets if you can't get them onboard? Do you go to a kiosk or tobacconist or is there a self service machine?

There is a kiosk on the corner. The driver doesn't even look at your ticket. I'm quite sure but not positive that the bus is not wheelchair friendly.

Once you tender in Sorrento you can easily walk up to the town (maybe 10 mnts walk) or you can take a local city bus that leaves in front of the dock and that takes you to Tasso Square in 3 mnts.

In Sorrento, quite easily town to walk through, cause it's flat, you can go ot visit the Cathedral, along the main street and then have a stroll along the medieval part of the city, full of shops.

We bought some nice leather hand made shoes for 20 Euros and some ceramics.

In the main square and surroundings, sit down and relax in outdoor cafes where you will see locals and tourists walking around...

Don't forget St. Franci's Church and cloister where close to them you have an amazing view from a public garden terrace, overlooking the port and the Vesuvius bay.

Enjoy your visit:)

I'll be on a med cruise where we tender in to Sorrento and I would like to know how far it is from were the tenders land to the main part of the town. is it walking distance? Also what would you recommend in Sorrento itself? (Don't want to go to Pompeii as I visited there last year when we docked in Naples)

many thanks

many thanks

the Amalfi coast is accessible by SITA bus (leaves from the train station) Go at least to Positano walk down and catch the bus for the return at the lower level.

Archived