Single cruise price

alohadad

...Often I find that paying 200% of a greatly reduced fare is less than paying 150% of a close-to-list fare. It's all in the final cost, not the percentage.

I've found this is the best way of looking at it. I have in mind a maximum price I will pay for a particular cruise, and try to beat that price before booking. If I can't, then I don't go. Sometimes we get too hung up on the percentage of the supplement instead of the amount we're paying.

Besides, I don't want to do all that math.

About ten days ago I booked two cabins for an Alaska cruise - one for my DH and myself and the other for my aunt who requires a handicap accessible cabin. When inquiring about our preferred sailing date we were told that although there was a handicap cabin available in the category that she wanted, we could not book it for just one person. Apparently the ship had reached the quota for solo passengers for that sailing. This would seem to verify the importance of the potential onboard sales. Therefore, even though my aunt would have paid 200% for that cabin we were not able to book it unless she had a companion. We have booked an alternative sailing date that had not reached the solo quota. She is paying 200% for a balcony wheelchair accessible cabin.

About ten days ago I booked two cabins for an Alaska cruise - one for my DH and myself and the other for my aunt who requires a handicap accessible cabin. When inquiring about our preferred sailing date we were told that although there was a handicap cabin available in the category that she wanted, we could not book it for just one person. Apparently the ship had reached the quota for solo passengers for that sailing. This would seem to verify the importance of the potential onboard sales. Therefore, even though my aunt would have paid 200% for that cabin we were not able to book it unless she had a companion. We have booked an alternative sailing date that had not reached the solo quota. She is paying 200% for a balcony wheelchair accessible cabin.

Look for good discounts online. Often I find that paying 200% of a greatly reduced fare is less than paying 150% of a close-to-list fare.

It's the 150% of the greatly reduced fare that seems to be in short supply. It used to be readily available.

It's the 150% of the greatly reduced fare that seems to be in short supply. It used to be readily available.

Ah, I see. Well I guess it's a good thing I just started looking at cruising solo, then. I won't miss what I never had. :D

QueensChick, some travel agencies have special listings for solo cruises. Did a quick click - lowest HAL supplement I found was 21% on an inside on Westerdam August 10, 24 nights British Isles/Norway B2B.

CowPrincess, it's unfair I stumbled into such a great single supplement/Canadian resident discount for Alaska last year, while you've worked at it and found nothing. :(

Hey, Fannish, I got an excellent price on my Alaska cruise last year, and I'm pretty satisfied with what this year's is costing me. It's the "dam" O-dam cruise I'm miffed about :) But that ship has sailed..... (oh, wait, no a couple of hours yet till sailaway!) :)

My fare was about 50% higher (or 150% of the cost per person for a double, however you want to look at it).

It was for a spring coastal run, which someone here thought might be at 200% because they are popular. I was very excited at the price because I had to pay 200% in the past and just assumed everyone made you pay double the price per person, so I was stoked.

I was given an upgrade from an inside guarantee to a lanai room. It was only $40 and that supposedly was at the single supplemental price.

There is an article on this website somewhere about the single cabins on the Norwegian Epic and questioning whether or not companies are going to start paying more attention to single travelers.

I've been thinking about the single or double cabin prices. Certainly all singles want to get the lowest price. I sure would. But looking at it from the cruise line "bottom line"

The cost to line is the same if the cabin has one or 2 passengers except for the free food that could be saved in just feeding a single.

The line would lose the income from the on board purchases that would have been made by the additional passenger. Looking at my bill at the end of the cruises I have taken that could be a lot of $$$s.

So if I were the CFO of the line (with my green eye shade and adding machine) I could argue that the line should price the cruise by the cabin whether one or 2 occupants:eek::eek::eek:

But I am sure not advocating that so no flames please.

Archived