According to Garmin . . . .

WayTooCool

Oh how funny, never thought to take our Garmin on with us. Love the little car in the ocean image.

Having it with us was a hoot! had to go out on the balcony to get a signal, but we identified the cities down the florida coastline all the way out .. . even got a signal the next day way the heck out . . . still driving SE @ 11 mph.

DSCN2294.jpg

My wife has a Garmin watch for running. After she completes a run, she plugs it into her computer and it pulls up a google map of her path. We sail in two weeks, and I think the thing she is looking forward to most is using it on the jogging track, and then seeing the map when she's done.:rolleyes:

...........recalculating...........

Damn, that broad is annoying :D . . . always repeatedly saying "recalculating" when you know damn well you're taking the "best" route because you're more familiar with it and she should just take a hike. :rolleyes:

Damn, that broad is annoying :D . . . always repeatedly saying "recalculating" when you know damn well you're taking the "best" route because you're more familiar with it and she should just take a hike. :rolleyes:

I think they should get USMC MstSgt R. Lee Ermey to record the voices -- they'd make a fortune offering him! Can't you just hear it? "I said turn left, maggot! What is your major malfunction! Didn't mommy and daddy love you enough? Turn left when I say turn left, @#$@# (&(*& @#^ $ !#$$ it!!

even got a signal the next day way the heck out

I thought the signal they get is from the global position satellites, meaning you'd get it anywhere, land or sea. No?

The unit might not have maps of anything outside the U.S./Canada though for all I know. It might not know you were on land if your ship made a port call at Grand Turk or somewhere. But I'd think it would still have the latitude/longitude and speed correct.

I thought the signal they get is from the global position satellites, meaning you'd get it anywhere, land or sea. No?

The unit might not have maps of anything outside the U.S./Canada though for all I know. It might not know you were on land if your ship made a port call at Grand Turk or somewhere. But I'd think it would still have the latitude/longitude and speed correct.

Yes, they get their signals from satellites. The "maps" are stored in your GPS, the signals just place you on that map, that's all. It doesn't differentiate between land and sea, unless you put a destination in and it will attempt to put you on a road also based on what is stored in the GPS. The signal merely pinpoints a location of the GPS itself.

Archived