Review of Half Moon Cay (cabana video & pics etc)

lilylight

Nope! Perfect with the "butler" service!! Super private, great food and the only thing you have to do for yourself is enjoy! (and...well...pee.)

PeaceLoveCruise

Yes, perfiect with the Butler. It's a long walk to the bathroom. :eek:

Going on Zuiderdam Panama canal 10 days in October!! Waw,excited is not even the word!! Want to rent the cabana for 4 people, and just saw the photos of previous passengers, what I beautiful beach break! I am in love with cabanas! I think, I will really enjoy it.. Now, I have to read through all posts and see if there are questions. I guess, I do have one question. What are the "opening times for cabanas?" from what time to what time officially? thank you.

What are the "opening times for cabanas?" from what time to what time officially? thank you.

The first tender will arrive in the 8-8:30 range. You are free to go to your cabana, however, it may not be fully stocked with beverages, snacks and ice. That will be arriving shortly thereafter.

Last tender to the ship will be 1/2 hour before departure. Be advised, if you wait for the last tender, the line will be extremely long.

Is that line long even for priority tendering? (Like if you have a cabana? ....ok...I know....I know.....wishful thinking again, right?! :D)

Haven't heard there is priority tendering on the return. At least not on HAL. And we have had cabanas several times.

Anywhere but in a line :D .

PeaceLoveCruise

Priority tendering only applies TO the island. FROM the island, get in line with the rest of the cattle.

If you wait until the sun goes down, it's a long swim to Eluthera.

Wait till almost time to go! Be the last to line up, what will they do, leave you, don't think so. I have never seen a ship leave with passengers still in line to reboard.

Let's see if I understand this. Wait until the latest possible moment to go to the tender? In the meantime, the ships departure has been delayed because a few of you are still in line for the last tender. Real considerate of your fellow passengers.

Edited by Typhoon1

Let's see if I understand this. Wait until the latest possible moment to go to the tender? In the meantime, the ships departure has been delayed because a few of you are still in line for the last tender. Real considerate of your fellow passengers.

Snarky. I'm very considerate of others... Especially on a cruise! Snarky comments are inconsiderate, I think.... But have a nice day anyway! :D

PeaceLoveCruise

Snarky. I'm very considerate of others... Especially on a cruise! Snarky comments are inconsiderate, I think.... But have a nice day anyway! :D

PeaceLoveCruise

Delaying the ships departure by lining up for the last tender is hardly considerate.

Have a nice day, also. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Choosing which Cabana: 1-5 are grouped together (about 15-20 feet between each one), then there is a pretty large stretch where they have some rows of beach chairs and then all the beach floats/tube/equipment rental is set up. Then immediately next to that start #6-9. Then there is about a 25ft gap and then you #10-15. In between #9 and 10 is a bathroom but it is up a little hill and a ways back from the cabanas (you can get a feel for bathroom location in the video). My spacing amounts are just guestimations. I’m assuming there is another bathroom closer down the beach which the majority of people use but I didn’t notice b/c I wasn’t really looking. We did not see or notice really any traffic to or from the bathroom up behind us as our section of the beach was pretty quiet and I’m guessing most people used the other facilities closer to all the action.

IMG_4480.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

From my observations if you are looking to be in the thick of the action with lots of people in front of your cabana but also closers to things (bar, kids play equipment, ability to hear the music from the bar etc) then I would choose Cabanas 1-5. When I walked up the beach to this part I felt that it was too crowded for my taste but some might like that.

Here is a pic looking from #5 up the beach towards #1 and you can see quite a bit of people are sitting right in front of the cabanas:

IMG_4310.jpg

If you want a sort of in the middle feel #6-9 would be good for you. As mentioned before, there is a pretty big gap between 1-5 and 6-9.

Here is a pic at 9 looking up to #6. The flag at the end of pic are from the rental equipment.

IMG_4251.jpg

If you want a more secluded quiet feel I’d choose numbers 10-15. While there were lounge chairs in the vicinity of the cabana (probably 20-25) there were only 2 sets of people who came down in front of ours so it was very quiet and really gave the feel that you were in your own little paradise.

Here are 11-15 from standing in front of #10

IMG_4269.jpg

If you look at pics of the entire beachfront you might think the Cabanas cover the whole thing but in reality they are not really that far apart and probably only go from beginning to about first half of the island. The rest of the beach does not have cabanas so even if you choose the last cabana #15 you are really not that far away. Don’t get me wrong you are far away enough from the crowds and noise but I write this to say that you will not have to troop more than about a 15minutes walk from the last Cabana #15 if you want to check out the music or bar but then want to retreat to your own little space on the beach. I should add that the Fascination I believe has about a little over 2000 passengers (not sure exactly) so I’m guessing if you were on a boat that has larger capacity it would be more crowded etc.

Does anyone know the color of #15, 14 or 13?