Review of Half Moon Cay (cabana video & pics etc)

lilylight

For those who have been waitlisted (aka SOL)...what are your options for the beach? Is there still chairs available for rent? for free? (yea right) lol

From what I understand, chairs are free, but it is about $15 for a clam shell umbrella. We will be there next week! I will take new picture and post (if I can figure out how to post pictures).

We truly enjoyed the cabana, but it was not without drama... we arrived and gave the ticket to the info desk. We were evidently driven out to the cabana. No food, no water, no towels... no nothing. We were questioned by no less than 4 different people asking why we were using the unrented cabana. They wanted our reciept which we turned into the information booth. Finally after repeating that we purchased the cabana with Peter in the Neptune Lounge, they call the ship. The ship confimed that we were not free loading and the apologies were forth comming from the crew. This is just one of many disapointing experiences we had on our 14-day holiday cruise. I probably will write a review or post a copy of my opend letter I might write HAL. Time to enjoy my last full day in Florida before heading back to the Pacicif Northwest in the morining. BTW... I took pictures of the old and new cabanas which I will post soon.

We truly enjoyed the cabana, but it was not without drama... we arrived and gave the ticket to the info desk. We were evidently driven out to the cabana. No food, no water, no towels... no nothing. We were questioned by no less than 4 different people asking why we were using the unrented cabana. They wanted our reciept which we turned into the information booth. Finally after repeating that we purchased the cabana with Peter in the Neptune Lounge, they call the ship. The ship confimed that we were not free loading and the apologies were forth comming from the crew. This is just one of many disapointing experiences we had on our 14-day holiday cruise. I probably will write a review or post a copy of my opend letter I might write HAL. Time to enjoy my last full day in Florida before heading back to the Pacicif Northwest in the morining. BTW... I took pictures of the old and new cabanas which I will post soon.

I could never figure out why they want you to leave that Shore Excursion ticket with the information booth. It would be much wiser to keep it in your possession in the event someone questions if you rented the cabana as was your experience.

I could never figure out why they want you to leave that Shore Excursion ticket with the information booth. It would be much wiser to keep it in your possession in the event someone questions if you rented the cabana as was your experience.

I agree. We got to our cabana at about 8:15 and some guy came by around 1:00 and said, "where's your ticket?"....took the ticket and walked off without saying anything! He earned an island service crew rating of 0!! He was a real jerk! The HAL staff is GREAT, but the local island staffers were less than friendly, in our experience that 1 day.

I agree. We got to our cabana at about 8:15 and some guy came by around 1:00 and said, "where's your ticket?"....took the ticket and walked off without saying anything! He earned an island service crew rating of 0!! He was a real jerk! The HAL staff is GREAT, but the local island staffers were less than friendly, in our experience that 1 day.

Those islanders can be pretty obnoxious at times. HAL relies on them for the extra help they need when a ship visits the island. Give them jobs where they don't have to interact with the public.

• 9 months later...
Couldn't open up the pictures, but wondering if there is shade past all the cabanas if we didn't want to buy a clamshell.

What you see in the cabana area is about the same. Hurricane season was relatively mild this year, so obviously, HMC didn't lose any trees.

We were here at HMC last Monday, and rented a beach cabana. We had cabana #1 which worked out well for us. The only issue was that the walkway behind our cabana led directly to our cabana, so a few people would just walk through. Very soon after arriving, we took one of the lounge chairs from the beach and blocked off the walkway so people wouldn't wander in.

It seems this thread was started some time ago, and there is now a "Pirate Ship Bar" next to cabana #5. The music is VERY loud, and they end up having some typical cruise style contests in front of this bar in the sand, so if you want quiet, you will want to steer clear of #5, and probably #4 as well. But if you enjoy that, then by all means #5 or #4 are the ones you will want :)

The cabana also has it's own shower, so after coming out of the water it was nice to be able to rinse off instead of going to the "public" showers.

If you are thinking of renting a cabana, be sure to grab it right away....THEY GET BOOKED FAST!! You can always cancel if you decide you don't want it. I think they are worth the money, it was nice having our own space and somewhere to put our stuff and not have to worry about it. I wouldn't hesitate to rent one again. :)

We were here at HMC last Monday, and rented a beach cabana. We had cabana #1 which worked out well for us. The only issue was that the walkway behind our cabana led directly to our cabana, so a few people would just walk through. Very soon after arriving, we took one of the lounge chairs from the beach and blocked off the walkway so people wouldn't wander in.

#1 is well known for this problem. Most will book it only as a cabana of last resort.

Obviously, it is designed for passengers with special needs.

#1 is well known for this problem. Most will book it only as a cabana of last resort.

Obviously, it is designed for passengers with special needs.

It was the last one left when I got on the ship :(

It wasn't so bad...once we put up our "barricade" (LOL) the problem was resolved.

It was the last one left when I got on the ship :(

It wasn't so bad...once we put up our "barricade" (LOL) the problem was resolved.

Nothing wrong with that cabana. I would book it if necessary, however, that walkway into the cabana has always been a contentious point.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems this thread was started some time ago, and there is now a "Pirate Ship Bar" next to cabana #5. The music is VERY loud, and they end up having some typical cruise style contests in front of this bar in the sand, so if you want quiet, you will want to steer clear of #5, and probably #4 as well. But if you enjoy that, then by all means #5 or #4 are the ones you will want :)

The cabana also has it's own shower, so after coming out of the water it was nice to be able to rinse off instead of going to the "public" showers.

If you are thinking of renting a cabana, be sure to grab it right away....THEY GET BOOKED FAST!! You can always cancel if you decide you don't want it. I think they are worth the money, it was nice having our own space and somewhere to put our stuff and not have to worry about it. I wouldn't hesitate to rent one again. :)

Just wondered since you have just returned from HMC, what was the food like that was provided with the cabana? Have been hearing different accounts of what is now included. Did you have sliced fruit, veggie trays & dip, and chips?

Recently saw a photo of plates of whole apples, oranges & pears and no vegetables :confused: Thanks for any details of your recent experience!

Just wondered since you have just returned from HMC, what was the food like that was provided with the cabana? Have been hearing different accounts of what is now included. Did you have sliced fruit, veggie trays & dip, and chips?

Recently saw a photo of plates of whole apples, oranges & pears and no vegetables :confused: Thanks for any details of your recent experience!

Hello!! We received a veggie tray, sliced fruit tray, and chips with salsa (and once the buffet opened we were able to get more salsa). We were also given two sodas per person and two of those extra large water bottles. We were also given some whole pieces of fruit.