Review of Half Moon Cay (cabana video & pics etc)

lilylight

Has anyone recently been to HMC? I was wondering if your cabanna was pre-assigned or did you get to pick your cabanna once on board. We reserved our on line. I didn't know if we should try to get on the ship early to pick our number or if they had already been selected based on when you booked online.

We reserved ours online too! I thought/hope that we are able to pick our number of cabana once we are on the ship

Ask and you shall receive, Bruce. I wish I had a nickel for every time I've repeated this:

Any cabana is better than no cabana at all.

Every time I worry about getting a less-desirable cabana my Dh says the same thing! :)

Has anyone recently been to HMC? I was wondering if your cabanna was pre-assigned or did you get to pick your cabanna once on board. We reserved our on line. I didn't know if we should try to get on the ship early to pick our number or if they had already been selected based on when you booked online.

Just returned last week.Once on board go directly to the excursion desk and they will let you know which ones are still available to pick from. We picked #10 and it was GREAT : )

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to rent a cabana.

What time does the excursion desk open?

You should reserve your cabana NOW on Carnival site. Just go into your booking then book it. They go FAST. I missed one for our upcoming cruise. By the time you get on ship they are GONE. Theres only 15 cabanas. Once you get on board you can choose the location you want. DON'T WAIT !!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the clamshells are assigned?

Can they be moved?

I know I could ask the cruiseline but your experience is better in my opinion.

Any information would be great.

No, they're not assigned, and they have a decent number of them. I'm not sure, but I think you would need to go to the little office they have set up on HMC to rent one (the office is to the left when you enter the main port area). But remember you may be able to just secure a shady spot under some trees as well...a little cooler than the clamshells (they can get hot inside) and the trees are free!;)

• 2 weeks later...
My wedding party (17 of us total) were fortunate enough to get the Private Oasis cabana on 05/16. Hands down, well well worth the money! We had an amazing time...the view was to die for...and it was so nice to have the entire thing to ourselves. Everyone in our group mentioned that it was by far an amazing experience and they would all do it again in a heartbeat.

232323232%7Ffp9%3B3%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B35%3E958%3EWSNRCG%3D3376664958339nu0mrj

View of the rest of HMC from the Cabana...

232323232%7Ffp9%3A8%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B35%3E958%3EWSNRCG%3D337666%3A237339nu0mrj

Everyone on the Oasis staff from the bartender to the cooks and the maintenance/housekeeping folks were attentive to our every need - there was someone there just to sweep up the sand from the cabana floor, every time someone walked in. They also went into the bathrooms every time someone came out to make sure it was pristine. There was nothing out of place or dirty, and the service was stellar.

232323232%7Ffp9%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B35%3E958%3EWSNRCG%3D3376664956339nu0mrj

Of course we had alcohol galore too (mixed drinks, tropical fun drinks, beer...you name it). The food was delicious as well - and so much more than we could even think about eating! We had hamburgers, fish & bbq chicken, fresh fruit, tons of different salads, enough guacamole to feed a small nation and a platter of cookies/brownies etc.

232323232%7Ffp%3A93%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B35%3E958%3EWSNRCG%3D3376664955339nu0mrj

The tender process was smooth, and it's a very short walk through the sand to the cabana once you get there. They have tons of towels there at the cabana, no need to bring yours from the ship. The fee includes all the food and drink you want, towels, private bathrooms (2 of them), private shower, changing room, hammock, lounge chairs both in and out of the sun, 2 large clamshells, hot tub (comfortably seats about 7 people), snorkel equipment, floats, massage table (masseuse extra), and water slide. They also had an ipod docking station and they had an ipod already hooked up and playing when we got there...Oh, and let's not forget the PRIVACY!

232323232%7Ffp997%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B35%3E958%3EWSNRCG%3D337666%3B%3B73339nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp9%3B3%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B35%3E958%3EWSNRCG%3D337666%3B%3B68339nu0mrj

The bar with the grilling area behind it.

We did pay for 3 extra people, but Carnival comped mine and my (new) husband's fees. Not sure if you really have to pay the extra person charges, but they did hand us tender tickets based on the number of people. Suppose other folks could take another tender and just meet up with you there - not sure really how they know who should be there and who shouldnt, they dont give you wristbands or anything. They did ask for our pop flavor preferences and flipper sizes when we booked. I ordered flippers for everyone, but only 2 out of our group used them - we were having too much fun doing everything else!!

Bottom line...dont hesitate to book the Oasis if you can...it was by far an amazing experience!

Questions? Just ask...

thank you so much for the info.....we will be renting the oasis in august and am even more excited now!

• 8 months later...
Thanks for the pics on the cabanas. My first cruise will be in September. I am so excited any pointers for the Island?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Get to the island early and stay as long as possible. You'll wish you could stay forever.

I agree with Typhoon 1. HOpefully you have secured your cabana already (ON LINE) and when you do the "ding ding" machine as you embark, it will stop you and you can go right to the excursions desk and pick it out! Only 2 ppl got theirs before I got mine... I got my pick. It pays to get to the port early so you can reserve the cabana you really want (or have a couple in mind).

As far as what to do on the island, be prepared to want to stay forever. Use the snorkels and the rafts. Lay out in the sun, have a delicious lunch... stay as long as you can. It really is everything people have said it is/was.

ENJOY. I can't wait to get back there again someday...

The earlier you get there, the better chance you have on picking a cabana. Try to schedule any shore excursions in the first run, when we went they were running over half an hour late by9:00. This could interfere with plans of joint excursions. Also, they sold out of the clamshells before the cruise began so reserve as early as possible. Similarly, there aren't that many cabanas and they also go quickly.

Thanks any info you can provide will be so helpful. I have until September but I dont want to wait till the last minute to reserve my cabana

I would not wait to reserve one if you know you want one. They go FAST!

Ok so let me make sure I have this right. I can reserve a cabana online but I can not reserve a specific one until I get on the island??? Also any tips on the shops

Yes, you can rent a cabana through the shore excursions area on Carnival's website. You cannot pick which cabana until you board the ship...go right to the Shore Excursions desk to pick yours. #1 - 5 are closest to the ship and the beach is the most crowded. The children's water toys area is near #1. The monstrosity of a pirate ship bar is between 5 & 6...can be a little noisy there. As you go up in numbers, the crowds are less. We had 8 & 9 last year and liked that location...all depends on what type of experience you want. They only have a few little shops there, but I actually prefer that to the ports that are all built up with the same shops;)