Review of Half Moon Cay (cabana video & pics etc)

lilylight

Thanks for writing this wonderful review and posting pictures. I've been planning to try to snag a cabana for our first trip to HMC. We will be there next Tuesday!!!! I like the location description for #10, so that will likely be my choice, if it is available. We are platinum cruisers, so I plan to board as early as possible to get one. Again, thanks for the outstanding information!

• 2 weeks later...
This is something that would really put a damper on our day:mad:

What did you say to the other people:confused:

I think the people that do not read CC do not realize that the people in the cabanas pay extra for them. Maybe they think it was just first come first serve and everything is fair game. I have read that people even take the floats:eek:

I think you're right - from what I could gather, most of the other cabana folks were on CC before the cruise. There were several from our roll call, and on the tender over to HMC I met two other groups that weren't on our roll call but knew from CC they had to book the cabanas early.

I directed the "interlopers" to the public showers, which were within sight distance of #5. One woman was just clearly confused, while the others (a very large family group) were just rude. They left when I pointed out the private showers, but later we ran into them in line for the tenders - and they kept trying to make their way ahead of others in the line. One would find a place farther up in the line, and then the others would join him. Some people are just special, I guess.:rolleyes:

One woman was just clearly confused, while the others (a very large family group) were just rude. They left when I pointed out the private showers, but later we ran into them in line for the tenders - and they kept trying to make their way ahead of others in the line. One would find a place farther up in the line, and then the others would join him. Some people are just special, I guess.:rolleyes:

Just plain ignorant !!!!

Edited by Typhoon1

• 2 weeks later...
We have the best memories of our day at HMC... if I forget about the sunburn I caught ;)

We ended up at the Taupe cabana and I surprised DH with an upgrade to the Butler program. Oooh la la! The exceptional food from the Pinacle at the cabana was probably wasted on them -- they would have been happy with hotdogs from the BBQ. But they loved both Ngura and Eka, and both played with them a lot with floats in the water, etc. They did *try* everything from the gazpacho to the filet and the drunken whale dessert made them laugh :)

What's the "Butler Program" and how much is it? Did you get to choose your food, etc? Were alcoholic drinks included as well as non-alcoholic?

Thanks for the great review and for the video. It helped me out alot. I do have a question. Do you have to hire a butler in order to get a drink brought to you? Or are there waiters like on other beaches that will bring drinks to you. I was hoping we could order buckets of beer like on the ship. Thanks and I am really enjoying this board.

My wedding party (17 of us total) were fortunate enough to get the Private Oasis cabana on 05/16. Hands down, well well worth the money! We had an amazing time...the view was to die for...and it was so nice to have the entire thing to ourselves. Everyone in our group mentioned that it was by far an amazing experience and they would all do it again in a heartbeat.

232323232%7Ffp9%3B3%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B35%3E958%3EWSNRCG%3D3376664958339nu0mrj

View of the rest of HMC from the Cabana...

232323232%7Ffp9%3A8%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B35%3E958%3EWSNRCG%3D337666%3A237339nu0mrj

Everyone on the Oasis staff from the bartender to the cooks and the maintenance/housekeeping folks were attentive to our every need - there was someone there just to sweep up the sand from the cabana floor, every time someone walked in. They also went into the bathrooms every time someone came out to make sure it was pristine. There was nothing out of place or dirty, and the service was stellar.

232323232%7Ffp9%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B35%3E958%3EWSNRCG%3D3376664956339nu0mrj

Of course we had alcohol galore too (mixed drinks, tropical fun drinks, beer...you name it). The food was delicious as well - and so much more than we could even think about eating! We had hamburgers, fish & bbq chicken, fresh fruit, tons of different salads, enough guacamole to feed a small nation and a platter of cookies/brownies etc.

232323232%7Ffp%3A93%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B35%3E958%3EWSNRCG%3D3376664955339nu0mrj

The tender process was smooth, and it's a very short walk through the sand to the cabana once you get there. They have tons of towels there at the cabana, no need to bring yours from the ship. The fee includes all the food and drink you want, towels, private bathrooms (2 of them), private shower, changing room, hammock, lounge chairs both in and out of the sun, 2 large clamshells, hot tub (comfortably seats about 7 people), snorkel equipment, floats, massage table (masseuse extra), and water slide. They also had an ipod docking station and they had an ipod already hooked up and playing when we got there...Oh, and let's not forget the PRIVACY!

232323232%7Ffp997%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B35%3E958%3EWSNRCG%3D337666%3B%3B73339nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp9%3B3%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B35%3E958%3EWSNRCG%3D337666%3B%3B68339nu0mrj

The bar with the grilling area behind it.

We did pay for 3 extra people, but Carnival comped mine and my (new) husband's fees. Not sure if you really have to pay the extra person charges, but they did hand us tender tickets based on the number of people. Suppose other folks could take another tender and just meet up with you there - not sure really how they know who should be there and who shouldnt, they dont give you wristbands or anything. They did ask for our pop flavor preferences and flipper sizes when we booked. I ordered flippers for everyone, but only 2 out of our group used them - we were having too much fun doing everything else!!

Bottom line...dont hesitate to book the Oasis if you can...it was by far an amazing experience!

Questions? Just ask...

Hi Kristin, I have a question for you. We are trying to find out if the Oasis is still available for our October cruise. My DW and I are not part of a group booking but we have someone on our roll call who is. Who do need to contact to #1 see if the Oasis is available and #2 to book it?

TIA

James

Does anyone know the cost to rent a clamshell? Are there any places to shop on the island :)

Thanks for all the great information!

Relatively inexpensive, $14.00 on HAL, CCL is somewhere in the vicinity. There are plenty of souvenir shops in market area. Have your key card ready, and they will be happy to charge any purchases to your account.

I had Cabana #8 at HMC in January. The guests with a Cabana are off the ship on the first tender.

I also preferred to walk along the beach to get to the cabana....take pics of Cabana #1 to #7 before I got to mine and then drop my stuff off and walk down to get #9 through #15 photo op done....Back to the cabana to chill....

Will be back in September and will get Cabana #8 again *BG*

I had Cabana #8 at HMC in January. The guests with a Cabana are off the ship on the first tender.

We too, like to walk along the beach in the smooth sand, rather than wait for the tram to fill up so they can deliver us to the cabana.

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered...but can someone tell me the price HAL charges for a Butler Cabana for 4 people??? I've been ready that a Cabana itself is $225 but the ones in the pics look like they are all open - so where is the a/c that they advertise??

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered...but can someone tell me the price HAL charges for a Butler Cabana for 4 people??? I've been ready that a Cabana itself is $225 but the ones in the pics look like they are all open - so where is the a/c that they advertise??

The cabana itself is $299.00 for up to four people. The butler would be an additional $270.00 for four. (CCL is $225.00)

The a/c is located on the back wall, you'll feel it inside the cabana, there is also a misting fan on the outer deck to cool you off.

• 3 weeks later...

We got to the port about 11:00. There were ppl already there. But we were pretty close to being one of the first groups on. Nobody was at the excursion desk. There were only 2 cabanas rented so far so we pretty much got to pick which one we wanted. We got #6. Barely anybody was even by our cabana- had the water almost to ourselves. We walked down to the lower cabanas and it was really crowded. It just depends if you like more ppl or not. We could hear the music. Weather was great- water was clear. My kids wore thier snorkel gear out and seen fish. One was about 2 feet long and right in front on them. (my daughter was not expecting that!)Hope you all have fun and the weather is good!! You'll enjoy it no matter what you do.

We got to the port about 11:00. There were ppl already there. But we were pretty close to being one of the first groups on. Nobody was at the excursion desk. There were only 2 cabanas rented so far so we pretty much got to pick which one we wanted. We got #6. Barely anybody was even by our cabana- had the water almost to ourselves. We walked down to the lower cabanas and it was really crowded. It just depends if you like more ppl or not. We could hear the music. Weather was great- water was clear. My kids wore thier snorkel gear out and seen fish. One was about 2 feet long and right in front on them. (my daughter was not expecting that!)Hope you all have fun and the weather is good!! You'll enjoy it no matter what you do.

Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

I hope I am as lucky as you when I go in April:D

Thanks for the great review and for the video. It helped me out alot. I do have a question. Do you have to hire a butler in order to get a drink brought to you? Or are there waiters like on other beaches that will bring drinks to you. I was hoping we could order buckets of beer like on the ship. Thanks and I am really enjoying this board.

I would also like to know this? I am not going to get butler service, but want to know if there are servers delivering/serving cocktails to the Cabanas? There will be 4 of us wanting to party and no kids. Thanks (1st post BTW)

I would also like to know this? I am not going to get butler service, but want to know if there are servers delivering/serving cocktails to the Cabanas? There will be 4 of us wanting to party and no kids. Thanks (1st post BTW)

Welcome to CC. There are plenty of waiters around to take care of your needs. If you need some extra special attention, be sure to tip generously.

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i am amazed at your review and have shared with the rest of our group (6)! we are spending our whole day on the beach without excursions and cant think of a better way to spend the day than with our own cabana "cottage"! so excited now that i know everyones input.

The one answer i can not find and didnt see here was.... with CCL it says the rental is $225 for 1 HOURS. it looks like you had it for the whole day? can you give any details or explanation of this? Thanks in advance, cant wait for our November cruise to HMC!

hi, i am amazed at your review and have shared with the rest of our group (6)! we are spending our whole day on the beach without excursions and cant think of a better way to spend the day than with our own cabana "cottage"! so excited now that i know everyones input.

The one answer i can not find and didnt see here was.... with CCL it says the rental is $225 for 1 HOURS. it looks like you had it for the whole day? can you give any details or explanation of this? Thanks in advance, cant wait for our November cruise to HMC!

Not to worry...that's the price for the day:) HMC is probably one of my favorite places in the world....you know, the one you are supposed to visualize when trying to relax? Just wonderful! Glad I have been there twice because the last time it POURED most of the day (don't worry, that rarely happens there)...at least I had already seen how beautiful it was! I was really happy we had the cabana when it was raining because we could still stay and just hang out;)

That is the price for the entire day for up to four people. There have been reports of $249.00 and $299.00 also. What you end up paying may be up to Shore Excursions on your specific cruise.

That is the price for the entire day for up to four people. There have been reports of $249.00 and $299.00 also. What you end up paying may be up to Shore Excursions on your specific cruise.

The $299 is for HAL. With HAL you can book online (which I did right away and ordered the butler service ($270) to go with it for 4 people.

Think it depends on the line on the price.