Trying to decide between Royal and Carnival

peisahm

We have 13 and 14 year old daughters and are looking at October 9th or 10th sailings from Royal or Carnival to the Eastern Carribean (or Western if it is better?), which line is preferred for this age group?

I do not have children or grandchildren the same ages as your DDs but I can tell you that from what I have seen on both Carnival and Royal Cariibean I think your best bet would be Carnival since they seem to cater to a younger crowd.

And this is coming from a LRF (Loyal Royal Fan )

Sorry I had to come back to edit this and add this statement - WELCOME TO CRUISE CRITIC!

Don't think you'll go wrong either way. Both cruiselines are more alike than they are different. Both cruiselines have special programs designed especially for kids in that age group.

The only "downside" that I can think of is your timeframe. Most kids are in school during that time, so the ship will not have a lot of kids. There will be kids, just not the numbers you would expect during the summer school break timeframe.

I think you need to give the specific ships for a fair comparison to be had. If it's a Voyager class or newer RCCL ship, they have more bells and whistles as far as activities on the ship. Most Carnival ships have great water slides, if your daughters are into that. Carnival also has soft-serve ice cream and frozen yogurt available most of the time.

As far as Eastern or Western Caribbean, it really depends on what you are looking to do in the ports. If you just want to hang out on beaches, most Eastern itineraries are great for that. To me, Western has more historical (Mayan ruins) and activity (ziplining, river tubing, etc) options for excursions. But again, knowing the specific port options helps us from being so broad-brush general.

Don't think you'll go wrong either way. Both cruiselines are more alike than they are different. Both cruiselines have special programs designed especially for kids in that age group.

The only "downside" that I can think of is your timeframe. Most kids are in school during that time, so the ship will not have a lot of kids. There will be kids, just not the numbers you would expect during the summer school break timeframe.

I was thinking that perhaps it might have a few more kids since it is the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend that it leaves, but maybe we should reconsider our timing, thanks

I think you need to give the specific ships for a fair comparison to be had. If it's a Voyager class or newer RCCL ship, they have more bells and whistles as far as activities on the ship. Most Carnival ships have great water slides, if your daughters are into that. Carnival also has soft-serve ice cream and frozen yogurt available most of the time.

As far as Eastern or Western Caribbean, it really depends on what you are looking to do in the ports. If you just want to hang out on beaches, most Eastern itineraries are great for that. To me, Western has more historical (Mayan ruins) and activity (ziplining, river tubing, etc) options for excursions. But again, knowing the specific port options helps us from being so broad-brush general.

Both ships are the "Freedom". Daughters would love waterslides.

My youngest wants to swim in 'clear pretty blue water' LOL. The oldest would be interested in the beach and shopping. They would both like snorkling, ziplining, seeing sealife etc.

Ports of call in the Eastern that we are looking at: San Juan, St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau, leaving and returning from Ft Lauderdale.

Western would be: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, OR Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel both leaving from Tampa

Both ships are the "Freedom". Daughters would love waterslides.

My youngest wants to swim in 'clear pretty blue water' LOL. The oldest would be interested in the beach and shopping. They would both like snorkling, ziplining, seeing sealife etc.

Ports of call in the Eastern that we are looking at: San Juan, St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau, leaving and returning from Ft Lauderdale.

Western would be: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, OR Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel both leaving from Tampa

Comparing the two ships: Carnival has the slide and RCCL doesn't. However, RCCL does have the Flowrider (surfing on board) which I think would be more appealing to teens. The RCCL ship has a movie theater but it's inside. Carnival Liberty has the outdoor movie screen - and I think who ever came up with thie (on the Princess Grand class ships) was a genious. Very cool to watch a movie out under the stars. But RCCL has rock climbing, ice skating (and there are ice shows to watch too), and a boxing ring. Freedom of the Seas holds 600 more people (but this number is based only on double occupancy) than Carnival Liberty. And this part is really close - Carnival Freedom is rated as a 4.5* ship and Freedom of the Seas is 5*.

When it comes to pretty blue water, I think more of Eastern Caribbean, though Grand Cayman has some that rival some in the Eastern Caribbean. You may want to research on the ports board all of the excursion options in each port. There are many to choose from no matter which route you choose. One thought, is to do one route this time, and book your next cruise for the other.

We took our kids on RCCL 3 years ago and are taking them on Carnival next winter. We chose the RRCl cuz we got them as 3rd and 4th passengers for 150$. Could not turn down that deal. We chose Carnival this time because we want the port every day out of San Juan itinerary.

But as far as comparing them my experience is that the service on Carnival was much better, but there is much more to do on RCCL. Rock climbing, ice skating, etc. Your kids will have a great time no matter which one you choose, and they are lucky to have parents who will travel with them. Traveling and experiencing different cultures is a priceless thing to give your kids!

I think a lot depends on your kids. Do they need a lot of different things to entertain them? If so RCCL might be your best bet since you have rockwalls, skating etc, even though it's usually more expensive. If they'd be happy with the kids camp and swimming I'd go with carnival.

I would also suggest RCL over Carnival. Our one experience on Carnival was NOT a success. It is the only cruise line my wife refuses to go on unless we win a cruise and even then it will take some convincing to get her to go. Bad service, poor ro inedible food at times, dirty public areas and other passengers who either couldn't read the no smoking signs or just didn't care (and if told a crewman they didn't want to confront the passengers).

Go with RCL especially on the newer and bigger ships that everything for everyone.

Have a great next cruise.

I was thinking about the dates too in terms of kids onboard. In the US, the only kids who would be off from school at this time would most likely be homeschooled kids and kids in some "year-round" programs -- some have their break around this time. Maybe some schools on the East Coast may take off the following Monday for Columbus Day (my hubby works for a city that takes that day off, but the school district doesn't). But given the financial situation all over, and the fact that some school districts get their money based on attendance per day (at least that's how California does it), many schools would discourage kids taking off for a vacation at times other than official breaks.

I would also suggest RCL over Carnival. Our one experience on Carnival was NOT a success. It is the only cruise line my wife refuses to go on unless we win a cruise and even then it will take some convincing to get her to go. Bad service, poor ro inedible food at times, dirty public areas and other passengers who either couldn't read the no smoking signs or just didn't care (and if told a crewman they didn't want to confront the passengers).

My one and only experience with Carnival was marred heavily by the amount of smoke everywhere. It seemed at times that there was no respite. I had to walk through a "smoking lounge" to get to the internet (computer) room. Held my breath the whole way!

We've sailed both Carnival and Royal, and can think of pros and cons either way. We had a great time on both, and the two ships that we sailed, the RCI Liberty of the Seas and the Carnival Liberty, were fantastic. On our sailings, Carnival offers a water slide, whereas the LOS offers a great "Aqua Zone" for kids. LOS also has a skating rink, and nice promenade which kids would usually enjoy. I don't put a lot of stock in the whole "Royal is better than Carnival" thing. Both cruise lines are in the entertainment business and did'nt get to do the volume that they do by offering a bad product. I found that there are some elements (things kids would definately not care about) of the LOS that were classier than the Carnival Liberty, but I would also consder the Carnival a better value; at least based on comparing what we paid for our two sailings. In addition, my wife and I also found that our fellow passengers on the Carnival were much friendlier than on Royal. However, I recognze that this is something outside of the cruise line's influence and may have also been uniquie to our individual sailings. Either way, you'll have a great time. Finally, for what it's worth, I enjoy the Western Caribbean much more than the Eastern. Stingrays in Grand Caymen and Mexican beaches are my ideas of paradise.

We have 13 and 14 year old daughters and are looking at October 9th or 10th sailings from Royal or Carnival to the Eastern Carribean (or Western if it is better?), which line is preferred for this age group?

I prefer RCI over Carnival any day, but clients of mine love both. Teenagers will have a blast on either line and they both have a great product. Teenagers love Dunn's River Falls, if they've never been. It's a cheesy thing to do, but an absolute blast and would do it again. Carnival seems to have a more Las Vegas feel than Royal. It's up to you, and both have advantages. Remember the smoking policy is different from Carnival vs. RCI. If this makes a difference to you. I know this is personal, but important for those on both sides of the line. Carnival seems to be less expensive but sales are out there and there are savings to be had in all CL's.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Archived