Why should we stay with RC?

Only you can answer that.

The clientele on Carnival is a bit different than RCCL. Service is not as good on Carnival, but cabins are bigger and the food is rated better on Frommers.

If you are pleased with the ports that the Carnival ship is going to, and pleased with the ship, you have nothing to lose booking Carnival.

While RCCL is one of our preferred cruise lines (Princess and Celebrity are the others I enjoy), I will cruise on whatever line is going on an itinerary that I like. Each cruise line has something different that we enjoy. You don't have to be a slave to one line - variety is the spice of life!

A lot of us cruise both cruiselines equally. Iv been acussed of being a RCL cheerleader, but I dont see much difference in service, food maybe better on Carnival, but I find stuff on both. I like Carnival food because its open more hours. shows about equal.

My main thing is when Im in port and both Carnival and RCL in port, Im a little embarrassed to be getting on Carnival, because RCL has such beautiful ships, but I remind myself Im not buying them, its just a cruise.

Be careful of a lot of Carnival's newer policies, like early saver rates are the only rates you get a price drop after final payment, and to get ES you have a nonrefundable deposit and no name changes, cant downgrade. Carnival doesnt let you go back into the guarantee pool the way RCL does. Can only transfer to a TA for 30 days after booking, can no longer cancel if Carnival changes the itineraries for reasons they consider beyond their control.. RCL is a lot easier to work with if there is a problem.

I for sure would take the 7 day cruise!

I've been on both RCL and Carnival. Six of one, half dozen of the other. I have had some excellent and mediocre cruises on either line. They are much more alike than different.

Go have fun for a week!

For the $200 extra I would do the Carnival cruise ;although we cruise mostly Celebrity & then Royal ,we have cruised Carnival & find them pretty good with the exception of the passenger load.

It is your choice .enjoy which ever cruise you decide to take.

I would go for it. I love RCCL. Not happy with with some of the things people are reporting but still a fun cruise. But I plan on trying ALL the cruise lines. We are on to Celebrity and hope to do Carnival. What some don't like you may love.

Hey wish I had a choice after Jan 9th 2011...no more RCL for us unless they bring a ship to the west coast.

I would never do Early Saver with a Carnival Cruise again. Although the rate was good I did not like the stipulations hanging over our heads. For a while considering changing cruises and felt locked in which we basically were.

I would cruise on a ship if right itinerary and right people with us. Those are the most important to me. As long as I have a balcony cabin midship, some food, alcohol when desired I'd be fine.

Have fun.

Laura

If you are pleased with the ports that the Carnival ship is going to, and pleased with the ship, you have nothing to lose booking Carnival.

Both cruises are out of Tampa.

RC is on the Radiance with 2 days at sea and stops in Cozumel and Costa Maya. Sailing on 10/30 for 5 days.

Carnival is on the Legend and also has 2 days at sea but the stops are in Cayman Island, Cozumel, Isla Roatan and Belize. Sailing on 10/31 for 7 days.

So, decisions, decisions....

We have not made up our minds yet. Still booked on the Radiance. My SO has cruised on Carnival before with her ex and she liked it. I never had and I'm just not sure about Carnival??? I can't really pinpoint the reason but after reading so much about Carnival, I'm skeptical. Should I be?

Thanks to all that replied.

oh btw, it's almost $300 more not $200, so about $150 more per the extra 2 days. It is an extended balcony room.

I got over my ONLY RC cruise mentality and am going for itineraries now. I think the itinerary for the Carnival cruise looks better. I've been to Costa Maya and wasn't that impresses. However I love Grand Cayman and would like to go back. I haven't been to Belize but it does look interesting. Also, 7 days is always better than 5 and $75/day extra isn't very much.

Personally, I would let my budget be my guide. But if not a concern I would choose the longer cruise.

We have cruised with Royal, then Carnival and booked for Nov. on Royal and have a booking in 2011 on Carnival again. We just love being on a cruise and each line had something that was better than the other but all in all had a great time on both.

As you might have noticed we have rotated according to price, one year cheaper, the next, a bit more expensive and so on. This satisfies my curiosity as well as balance our budget.

Whichever you choose, it will be great!!!:D

I have been on 16 Carnival cruises and 14 RCI cruises and as far as I am concerned they are very similar in many aspects. The big difference is that the RCI ships are much more attractive with more elegant decor. However the Legend is one of the Spirt class ships and is my favorite and is also the class of ship that many Carnival cruisers prefer. It is the closest you will come to matching the ship decor and design features of the RCI ships. For me it would be a no brainer take the longer cruise.

I got over my ONLY RC cruise mentality and am going for itineraries now. I think the itinerary for the Carnival cruise looks better. I've been to Costa Maya and wasn't that impresses. However I love Grand Cayman and would like to go back. I haven't been to Belize but it does look interesting. Also, 7 days is always better than 5 and $75/day extra isn't very much.

Two extra days for an additional $200. How did you arrive at the $75/day figure?

We have a hump balcony booked for a 5 day cruise out of Tampa on 10/30. I can get a 7 day balcony on Carnival from Tampa on 10/31 for about $200 more TOTAL.

Any reason we should stay with RC?

Why does everyone think the Carnival cruise is $200 less, when the OP posted that it is $200 more??? :confused:

Two extra days for an additional $200. How did you arrive at the $75/day figure?
Because OP came back and said it was closer to $300 more for the cruise that is 2 days longer. If you take $300 and divide it by two days, that's $150 per day more. If you divide the $150 by 2 people, that makes it $75/day more for each person.

Because OP came back and said it was closer to $300 more for the cruise that is 2 days longer. If you take $300 and divide it by two days, that's $150 per day more. If you divide the $150 by 2 people, that makes it $75/day more for each person.

Okay, now I see that. Last line of post # 9.

So, if it is MORE, why are people posting that it is less???

Okay, now I see that. Last line of post # 9.

So, if it is MORE, why are people posting that it is less???

Because illiteracy is on the rise in America and reading comprehension isn't taught in school anymore. ;)

Carnival is on the Legend and also has 2 days at sea but the stops are in Cayman Island, Cozumel, Isla Roatan and Belize. Sailing on 10/31 for 7 days.

That was the cruise DH and I took last summer. It was a great itinerary - especially if you dive and/or snorkel. The ship was fine (a bit gaudy), but we do not sail for ship decor. I appreciate some restraint, but it won't be a deciding factor for me anytime soon. We were quite happy with the service, the food, really everything about the trip.

Book the itinerary you want, for a good price. You will be on vaction - a cruise - make it the expereince you want it to be!

We tried Carnival this past year for the first time because it was a better deal (saved us at the least $1000) and we decided that RCI is worth the extra money. Some will agree, some wont, so you won't know unless you try it, but we won't sail with Carnival again.

Honestly, you will probably get a price drop between now and October, so I would stay with RCI. Usually all fall sailings to the Caribbean will end up with a price drop, I have always gotten a price drop and we sail every fall, so you will probably end of up paying less than you are right now. Carnival doesn't honor price drops unless you book early saver, but if you book an early saver rate then you are stuck with the sailing that you book.

Both cruises are out of Tampa.

RC is on the Radiance with 2 days at sea and stops in Cozumel and Costa Maya. Sailing on 10/30 for 5 days.

I would absolutely take the Carnival cruise. 2 extra ports and let me add that while I've never been on RCI I took this same itinerary with Carnival and it was awesome! It was our first cruise and it hooked us.

The reason I'm on this board is a friend is taking an RCI cruise and I was asked to help her research it. Ran across this post and had to comment :)

Personally, I would let my budget be my guide. But if not a concern I would choose the longer cruise.

We have cruised with Royal, then Carnival and booked for Nov. on Royal and have a booking in 2011 on Carnival again. We just love being on a cruise and each line had something that was better than the other but all in all had a great time on both.

As you might have noticed we have rotated according to price, one year cheaper, the next, a bit more expensive and so on. This satisfies my curiosity as well as balance our budget.

Whichever you choose, it will be great!!!:D

I agree. We like the the longer cruises. And we love to drive instead of flying. I wish Carnival did a longer cruise out of NY in March so I could try them. Same with NCL. They are out of NY but also only 7 days.

Archived