Pinnacle Grill

dwilliamson

In many of these threads, I read about people making reservations for the Pinnacle Grill before the cruise even begins . . . and others make their reservations the moment they get on the ship.

If I don't do one of these, will I be on the outside looking in . . . longingly with drool all over my shirt? I mean, once I'm on the ship, am I likely to be able to, for example, decide to eat at the Pinnacle that night and actually be able to get reservations? Is it typically that full and crowded?

As long as I'm asking, what about the Canaletto? Same questions.

Thanks.

We are among those that do make our reservations before we get on the ship.

A couple of times we didn't and could not get a reservation -- even our concierges could not get us one.

Now -- they do not completely fill up the Pinnacle Grill on any night. They allow only so many people to dine there each evening -- thus you may walk by there and see lots of empty tables -- this is the norm on all HAL ships.

We make our reservations once we are onboard, and have only had problems getting our desired date & time on three or four occasions that I can recall. Those involved merely changing our timeframe - not the night on which we wanted to dine. But - like Peaches & KrazyKruiser said - why wait if you're worried about getting in! You can always cancel once on board.

Cannaletto reservations can only be made on board, and though they are not required, I would stongly suggest you make them - especially if you want a definite time. Their Penne alla Vodka is to-die for!!

And don't forget the Pinnacle Grill for lunch as well. They serve a fabulous Cream of Five Onion soup that is only available at the Pinnacle at lunch time. Their hamburgers are fabulous and their crab cakes are delicious as well. DH likes their lunch steak - I forget exactly what it's called - something "pepper-crusted" maybe - anyway, he orders it everytime we eat lunch there!!

You will totally enjoy both restaurants!!

So far we have made our Pinnacle Grill reservations when we board the ships and have not had any problems. I imagine if there is a large group on board, there might be an issue. Since we go to the Pinnacle Grill on Master Chef's Dinner night, it is not always known when that will be although lately it has been the last night.

As for lunch, we enjoyed one for the first time on our most recent Sea of Cortez cruise. It was open every day from 12-1 except the first three days when the PG women had Lido duty because of the non-self serve Lido buffet as a noro virus preventative measure. Excellent luncheon menu.

Barbara

I'd like to hear a bit more about the lunch at the Pinnacle Grill. What are the hours? Do they serve on sea days only or also when in port?
I think it's always 12:00 - 1:00, and open on some port days. If you want to eat lunch there on a sea day make that reservation early, as it will fill fast on those days.

Is it $20 for dinner and $10 at lunch?
Yes ... except there is a 25% discount for 3-star mariners and 50% for 4-star, at both lunch and dinner.

We make our reservations once we are onboard, and have only had problems getting our desired date & time on three or four occasions that I can recall. Those involved merely changing our timeframe - not the night on which we wanted to dine. But - like Peaches & KrazyKruiser said - why wait if you're worried about getting in! You can always cancel once on board.

Cannaletto reservations can only be made on board, and though they are not required, I would stongly suggest you make them - especially if you want a definite time. Their Penne alla Vodka is to-die for!!

And don't forget the Pinnacle Grill for lunch as well. They serve a fabulous Cream of Five Onion soup that is only available at the Pinnacle at lunch time. Their hamburgers are fabulous and their crab cakes are delicious as well. DH likes their lunch steak - I forget exactly what it's called - something "pepper-crusted" maybe - anyway, he orders it everytime we eat lunch there!!

You will totally enjoy both restaurants!!

I've tried to make reservations on line for lunch but they are not offered only for dinner...how else can I make a lunch reservation before I get on board.

We made dinner reservations online on our last cruise but also couldn't find a way to do it for lunch. However, on this cruise and the one previous we had no trouble making reservations for lunch onboard. I do recommend making them as early in the cruise as possible for the most flexibility. I procrastinated on our 2nd HAL cruise but it still worked out with a little bit of compromising. Lunch never seems to be crowded there, but I think they have fewer tables operational.

I've tried to make reservations on line for lunch but they are not offered only for dinner...how else can I make a lunch reservation before I get on board.

You can't.

Although dinner reservations can be made online, lunch reservations can only be made after you're aboard.

I learned that in another thread someplace here on HAL board.

The bride and I always book the Pinnacle when we do our cabin reservations.

Never saw a reason to wait.

The Canaletto on the Noordam is actually located within the Lido Grill but is separated by ropes. Table service and table clothes are the rule. We didn't eat there but spoke to a few people that did. They raved about it. Food and service we were told was spectacular.

Hope this helps

Gramps

Lunch reservations must be made once on board. We do ours all at once - in other words, if we plan on eating lunch there for "x" number of days, we make all the reservations at the same time. We can always cancel, but want to make sure we have a table if we want one!! Lots of food at lunch, too - so you may want to plan your evening meals accordingly!! :D

Is there a dress restriction @ the Pinnacle Grill on non-formal nights?

Same dress code as in Main Dining Room, no shorts, swim trunks, flip flops except on our recent cruise on the Rotterdam, HAL was allowing men in shorts in the PG for lunch

One reason we have booked PG in advance is because it is then pre-paid. It's nice to walk out without a bill (other than wine of course).

We almost always have booked a 2nd, even a 3rd reservation while on-board the ship too. I've never had a meal at PG with which I was not thrilled.

My rule of thumb when booking reservations at the Pinnacle.

1. Cruise length: 7-10 days; book asap prior to cruise

2. Cruise length: 10-15 days; book at least once prior to cruise

3. Cruise length greater than 15 days; book on ship day of embarkation either at PG or by dialing 88 on cabin or house phone.

We just completed a 33 day cruise on the Rotterdam. We booked two reservations when we embarked. Made two more reservations while on ship; never a problem booking 4 days out

Formal nights, in my experience, tended to be the busiest at PG. I never understood that because I think those are also the same nights with the best menus in the main dining room. So we never go to PG on formal nights.

The least busy night in PG tends to be the first night of the cruise, which I think is often the night of the weakest menu in the main dining room. We love going to PG on night 1 because the low attendance means that service is stellar. As an added plus, the waiters have more time to chat between courses and I always find it interesting to talk with people from other cultures.

Thanks for the insight from your perspective, G&G. :) Don't suppose anyone knows what nights are "busy" nights for the Pinnacle? Like formal nights or days out at sea?

I find formal nights and sea days to be the busiest.

their menu isn't that exciting to us. The really should look at what Carnival is offering in their supper clubs. It blow Pinnacle out of the water. We just ask Maitre D to see the weeks menus the first night and select which night we will want to skip the main dining room. I don't have a problem w/ Master chef's dinner as I like mushrooms and duck. We might also book the Chef's Table one night. Next cruise is the NA so we can try Tamarind and Canelleto several nights as we will be cruising for 24 days.

:confused:

We are among those that do make our reservations before we get on the ship.

A couple of times we didn't and could not get a reservation -- even our concierges could not get us one.

Now -- they do not completely fill up the Pinnacle Grill on any night. They allow only so many people to dine there each evening -- thus you may walk by there and see lots of empty tables -- this is the norm on all HAL ships.

Lonnie, how do you know this information and why do "they" only allow so many people to dine there each evening?

their menu isn't that exciting to us. The really should look at what Carnival is offering in their supper clubs. It blow Pinnacle out of the water. We just ask Maitre D to see the weeks menus the first night and select which night we will want to skip the main dining room. I don't have a problem w/ Master chef's dinner as I like mushrooms and duck. We might also book the Chef's Table one night. Next cruise is the NA so we can try Tamarind and Canelleto several nights as we will be cruising for 24 days.

And so would the alternative dining onboard the X ships! First class! I would not book a dinner in the PG unless it was a gift! Apparantly, the "domed" carts containing all the steaks for viewing and selection have been eliminated as well as the (former) posting of the PG menu outside the entrance to the PG!:mad:

Archived