Are Banks open on Saturday?

dabear

We will be arriving Sat morning around 9:30am from our connecting flight from Frankfort. We would like to get some Euros before our cruise departs on a Sunday. Are banks open on Sat? Alternatively, I guess we can go to an ATM. Can anyone confirm that a Capital One card does not have an exchange fee? thx

Every international airport I've been to I've seen ATMs thru out. I had no trouble getting them out of an ATM and unless out of cash or someother problem they were always working. I see no reason why you'd go to a traditional bank and worry whether they are open or not. ATM generally has the best rates/convenience.

I know captial one CC charges no exchange fee for charges and we use them always overseas. I would NEVER get a cash exchange from a CC as between the interest and fees not worth it. FWIW I had one bank ATM card that charged a couple bucks out of network fee and add in the local bank fee it worked to I think 3 bucks and change for each ATM withdraw or about 2%. I also had one bank ATM card that refunded this fee so where possible we used it for essentially no fee ATM but with ~ 200 dollar daily limit withdraw. Unless you need more than a couple hundred a day ATM can be the way to go provided you don't mind stopping in every port/stop for them.

Good luck

We will be arriving Sat morning around 9:30am from our connecting flight from Frankfort. We would like to get some Euros before our cruise departs on a Sunday. Are banks open on Sat? Alternatively, I guess we can go to an ATM. Can anyone confirm that a Capital One card does not have an exchange fee? thx

You ALWAYS use the ATM and so never actually go INTO a bank to change money these days.

We assume that the Capital One card you are describing is an ATM/debit card and NOT a credit card.

IF you were to use a credit card to get euros as a cash advance then they'd charge it at a rate as if you were taking a loan out!

I am sure you just mean to use your ATM card from Capital One to take money from your account in the form of euros.

Capital One does not charge a "conversion fee" on purchases. (This is a fee that credit card companies charge to convert the local currency to U.S. currency on your card account, and it usually about 3% of the charge.) It's a good card to use when making purchases.

Your ATM card is the easiest way to get local currency. Just make sure you call in advance and let your bank know where and when you will be traveling.

As for getting currency when you arrive: there is an ATM just after you leave the baggage area and just before you exit the door.

Oh, I forgot to mention just in case you are talking about using a Capital One ATM card (or any ATM card) it is wise to carry more than one ATM card just in case it does get "frozen" for some reason. I'd recommend calling Capital One directly and getting your answers-maybe even call twice to verify the first response!

Greetings from Madrid.

Use your ATM card -- you will get a much better rate than if you exchange cash.

Some banks in Spain are open on Saturday mornings (BUT ONLY IN THE WINTER). From Holy Week through late October banks are closed on Saturdays.

If you must exchange cash and not use your ATM card, the airport has exchange companies operating inside.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

• 2 weeks later...

I cruise the end of the month beginning in Barcelona, ends in Venice and then we stay a few days in London before flying home. I have two debit cards that each have the VISA logo and a regular credit union ATM card. Anyone ever NOT be able to get money out for any reason other than a compromised card or not notifying your CC company beforehand and it may have a hold on it? Just wondering in this day and age what the chances are that none of the 3 would work for some unforeseen reason.

financialgrl, You are overthinking this and getting yourself anxious! Your cards will work fine and your credit union card may be the best of all with the lowest fees!! Call the no. on the back of the cards to inform the banks you are traveling and ask them all your questions. On occasion if one ATM machine doesn't give you money then just go to another one!!

I travel with one credit card and one ATM card and I have been just fine!! IF it makes you feel better go and buy a few euros from a bank near your home.

financialgrl, You are overthinking this and getting yourself anxious! Your cards will work fine and your credit union card may be the best of all with the lowest fees!!

Thanks, it's not that I am overthinking this as much as Murphy's Law seems to be alive and well in my life lately. I had previously checked and will only be taking credit union cards - while not free, they only charge 1% currency conversion and I can live with that.

my DD got 100.00 in Euros from AAA before heading to Europe a couple of years ago just to have some cash when she got there because she had a whole lot of other issues (traveling alone, luggage and finding her school and apartment) to worry with when she first arrived rather than looking for an ATM. Their exchange rate was good, and the local office did it for me at their customer service counter. Easy.

Enjoy your trip!

Beverly

Archived