Does black smoke bother OV or Bal on back of ship???

CRU1Z1N

In an ocean view or balcony at the back of the ship (Valor precisely) has anyone been bothered by black smoke from the ship?? Does it impair the view or does it smell bad etc? Thanks!

We just got off the Valor on Sunday and had an aft wrap on deck 7; I saw no black smoke but I did occasionally see ash falling onto the deck, I checked for smokers above me, but there were none. It wasn't very frequent and I only noticed it because it was so large, probably dime sized in diameter, they fell apart when they hit the deck.

There were no odors from the smoke stack, but we noticed a "roasted garlic" smell during the night (we slept with the balcony door open a couple of nights).

We have had some problems also with the falling ash on the balcony...normally the wind and speed of the ship takes the smell and smoke a lil higher...you can always see the exhaust above you but never really bugged us.

We had some ash on the aft balcony on Miracle (we were on Deck 4, the lowest with balconies and with the most overhang).

The exhaust isn't black, but it does "cloud" the view a bit. I was disappointed with the visibility at night. I had very much looked forward to sitting out there in the dark, looking at all the stars, and it definitely affected that.

I had a 6D, aft view OV on Triumph, which they later changed to a 6B on me (and I couldnt get price drops from that TA who had a no refund policy) ... the window was sloped downward, so you wouldnt have seen upward or the black smoke. It poured rain too, so all we saw was the wake view to be honest.

First experience with the soot was sitting on my aft balcony with white pants on.

Did not know about the soot then.

Pants ruined.

After that I always took the towel and wiped off the rail and chairs.

Last Nov just standing on the balcony soot fell on my favorite blue top.

Ruined.

Just need to be careful.

The exhaust isn't black, but it does "cloud" the view a bit. I was disappointed with the visibility at night. I had very much looked forward to sitting out there in the dark, looking at all the stars, and it definitely affected that.

I've had 4 aft cabins and this is spot on. You definitely see it during the day and night and it's more of a translucent haze not thick black smoke. At night it seems to take on a more white cloudy appearance.

I've seen the smoke falling down to the level of the water just past the ship when it wasn't too windy but I haven't smelled it.

For some reason we have had black soot on our 9As balconys on 2 different cruises when we were in port at St Thomas. Tiny Little black balls all over everything. Cabin stewart had to use a hose to clean it up, we had it all over our feet and in the cabin. Why just there don't know. But it won;t stop us from getting another 9A. They are nice.:D

• 1 month later...

We noticed a fair amount of ash on our aft balcony on Pride (just got home from the 6/6/10 sailing!). I first noticed it on our clothes after sitting down on the chairs on the balcony, and asked the steward about it. Some landed on us as we were sitting out there. It was enough to discourage us from getting another aft balcony in the future. Next time we'll probably stick to a balcony on either side. The other thing we missed on a balcony on either side was the sound of the waves - instead we heard more the churning water, not gentle waves.

In an ocean view or balcony at the back of the ship (Valor precisely) has anyone been bothered by black smoke from the ship?? Does it impair the view or does it smell bad etc? Thanks!

LOL, nope , it is not a paddle wheel boat goin down the Mississippi.

We have been aft on our last two Valor cruises. One cabin was the wrap #8455 and the other was the extended balcony next door, #8457. We had no issues with ash, debris or smoke on either cruise.

The smoke can obscure the sky a bit at night especially when hanging lower to the water. Always wondered if that was a function of dropping barometric pressure.

To us these are the best cabins on the ship. Nice and quite and close to the Lido and the aft elevators. The views are stunning as well especially at sail-a-ways. No issues with privacy.

Archived