Iceland Volcano Ash

hamrag

News here in UK today that all flights from Ireland & Scotland are to be grounded from Wednesday 5th June due to wind direction pushing ash towards the UK again. There is speculation that this could spread to the English airports during the following couple of days. This was the pattern developing 2 or 3 weeks ago when the problem continued South and East into other European countries.

I've been watching this as well - since I heard about closures yesterday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8661133.stm

I'm thinking/hoping it won't reach the NY to Venice route by Thursday night?!?!? That would definitely harsh my giddy. :(

I would be more than extremely surprised if it moved South & East at that rate, almost impossible....honestly think you can sleep easily, as the flight from NYC can route further south if necessary! Enjoy your cruise, we are doing the Gem B2B from Venice in September.

News here in UK today that all flights from Ireland & Scotland are to be grounded from Wednesday 5th June due to wind direction pushing ash towards the UK again. There is speculation that this could spread to the English airports during the following couple of days. This was the pattern developing 2 or 3 weeks ago when the problem continued South and East into other European countries.

June 5th???????

That would definitely harsh my giddy. :(

ROTFL....I really like that, Mooder. May I use it?

OP, I just put my friend on the plane to Manchester from Vancouver, so hopefully nothing will be happening in the next 8 or so hours!! Apparently that airport was open.

I'm leaving this Friday for the Jade cruise out of Barcelona. I was really hoping not to have to deal with this....ugh! Hopefully all will clear up for us and any other cruisers heading to Europe. My partner and I decided that if worse comes to worse and we can't get there, we will just book a last minute cruise out of the U.S. that weekend. Nothing can keep me from a cruise! =)

Michael

I previously said I put my friend on the plane to Manchester...well, I checked to see if her flight took off and it's been delayed 1 1/2 hrs. so far. I then checked arriving planes from Europe to Vancouver and all have been delayed from 1 to 4 hours. Avoiding the ash clouds perhaps? Nearly all North American travel is either on time or only a few min. late so one wonders.

We humans think we're so technologically advanced....hah!! You can't argue with Mother Nature cause all the technology in the world ain't worth diddly! lol

My hubby and I are heading to London at monthend so I'm knuckle biting too. I can empathize will anybody who's planning a Europe trip this summer. Keep your fingers and toes crossed!! 8-)

I previously said I put my friend on the plane to Manchester...well, I checked to see if her flight took off and it's been delayed 1 1/2 hrs. so far. I then checked arriving planes from Europe to Vancouver and all have been delayed from 1 to 4 hours. Avoiding the ash clouds perhaps? Nearly all North American travel is either on time or only a few min. late so one wonders.

We humans think we're so technologically advanced....hah!! You can't argue with Mother Nature cause all the technology in the world ain't worth diddly! lol

My hubby and I are heading to London at monthend so I'm knuckle biting too. I can empathize will anybody who's planning a Europe trip this summer. Keep your fingers and toes crossed!! 8-)

Flew to London from NYC yesterday. To avoid the ash cloud we flew north into canada, over greenland and north of Iceland. Took 2 hours longer than usual and our inbound flight was delayed a couple hours as well. Ended up getting here 4 hours late, but hey, we're HERE!!!! Flights in Spain, Portugal and parts of France are supposed to be shut down today...

Sitting in Atlanta Airport after hearing that our flight to London Gatwick has been cancelled. Was hoping to have a few days in London before cruising on the Norwegian Sun, but now just hope to get there in time for the cruise to leave.

Sitting in Atlanta Airport after hearing that our flight to London Gatwick has been cancelled. Was hoping to have a few days in London before cruising on the Norwegian Sun, but now just hope to get there in time for the cruise to leave.

That really sucks. I hope it clears up in time for your cruise.:)

VonChap sat at Dulles for 3 days. She didn't make our cruise either. Air France turned out the lights apparently and told everyone to go home. They did. Viva la France.:rolleyes:

I checked again at the Vancouver airport and all flights for England left this evening although late. My friend is on her way to Manchester so there must be some way of getting there or I'm sure the pilots would not be flying. It'll probably take longer like another poster has said but at least you'll be there.

I feel bad Ms belp and others missed their cruises. That really 'sucks'! :(

We flew from Venice to Zurich and then Boston on Saturday after our Gem cruise ----lots of delays on this route, we flew the polar cap route instead of the normal one and were 2 hrs late into Boston, but at least we got there. The flight that returned to Zurch last night was another 2 hrs late arriving, messing up many connections (we would have missed our fight to Venice.) Several flights to Boston from Europe were cancelled, most of the rest delayed, but at least the airlines seem to be making an effort to get flights in the air.

I hope we'll be okay in Oct. flying to England. Anyone heard anything about when they'll start sacrificing virgins to the volcano god??? :eek:

I would be okay with ASAP. :rolleyes:

May 9th Venice airport was open, but Delta flight non stop to JFK was canceled. Much confusion. We were offered an extra night in Venice on Delta and a flight on May 10 thru Paris to JFK, but we chose to leave the 9th to Paris and JFK. After many delays, we arrived at 11 pm in JFK, 8 hours late. We already had a hotel, but many others could not get one.

Archived