OMG too many people left behind

Well it has been raining cats and dogs in south western France (Villefranche is south east) and snowed at low altitude in the Pyrennees yesterday. I even had to turn the heating system back on which is rude if you ask me! So quite unusual weather for France. I can imagine how proper docking at a large port (Toulon) would be safer than tendering, and the passengers got a free excursion along a nice part of France! And more unusually bad weather is planned for the rest of the week as well, so not a great time to be in southern France. It happens once in a great while ;-)

If they are being transported to Toulon by the cruise line where they will meet up with the ship at a safer location, why does your title state they were left behind? Very misleading.

Yes kewl one, I can see how you were mislead, they weren't actually left behind in port when the ship sailed off, they were, well... umm... left behind in port without a ship to cruise on.

I just watched a French news report that showed 15-20 foot waves that started suddenly around 3pm local time. This sort of thing happens occasionally in the winter, but this is the first time they've ever had such large waves on the Med coast on May 3rd. Levees broke, cars were swept away, the Cannes Film Festival organizers are now cleaning up massive beach damage as the festival is supposed to start in a few days. Lots of towns on the Riviera got slammed. That's a lot worse than having to turn the heat back on at my house, I guess, maybe. ;-)

So that RCI captain probably made a wise decision getting his ship out of there in a hurry!

Er, If the ship leaves without you, leaving you at the dock, then you have been left behind, therefore not misleading at all.

I did clarify that at the time of posting I was unable to confirm it as fact or rumour, and that more facts followed as they were available. However it is still an unusual situation to have happened and therefore worthy of a thread, if you felt mislead I apologise :rolleyes:

If they are being transported to Toulon by the cruise line where they will meet up with the ship at a safer location, why does your title state they were left behind? Very misleading.

There you go someone understood the situation, I still maintain that if a ship sails without the passengers, then those passengers have been "left behind"

Yes kewl one, I can see how you were mislead, they weren't actually left behind in port when the ship sailed off, they were, well... umm... left behind in port without a ship to cruise on.

Er, If the ship leaves without you, leaving you at the dock, then you have been left behind, therefore not misleading at all.

I did clarify that at the time of posting I was unable to confirm it as fact or rumour, and that more facts followed as they were available. However it is still an unusual situation to have happened and therefore worthy of a thread, if you felt mislead I apologise :rolleyes:

In one sense you've been left behind, but in another sense due to safety concerns you're just being required to meet the ship at a different location. It's not like they were just abandoned to fend for themselves.

What would happen if the next port is in another country, would the ship dock over night and try to tender the guests again tomorrow?

Is it the ship responsibility to overnight you or bus you to the next port? or is it the guests responsibility to meet the ship at next port?

I'm curious about that too. On the BR a few years back, we waited outside of Mykonos for a long time, waiting to see if we could tender. A couple of ships had already anchored for tender. Finally, Captain Zini decided the waters were too rough for us and went straight to Kusadasi.

I always wondered what happened to those who had already gone on shore from the ships that anchored.

I also heard that ships only made it to Mykonos 1/4 of the time!!

I'm curious about that too. On the BR a few years back, we waited outside of Mykonos for a long time, waiting to see if we could tender. A couple of ships had already anchored for tender. Finally, Captain Zini decided the waters were too rough for us and went straight to Kusadasi.

I always wondered what happened to those who had already gone on shore from the ships that anchored.

I also heard that ships only made it to Mykonos 1/4 of the time!!

One reason why I prefer to have my excursions booked with RCCL when we're tendered..... at least the refund is guaranteed if you can't get ashore.....

Is this just a rumour or true,

Big problems in Villefranche where Soooooooo many people (1700) have been left behind because of bad weather, watch this space for more detail.

do you know if it was Brilliance of the seas have friends on it and thinking about them:confused:

I never said that they were.
Personally, I would argue that they were not left behind at all, they were picked up where they expected to be picked up and were transported to the ship, just not quite in the manner they expected.

Everyone has different thoughts, while I was thinking of my DH med's that would still be on the ship. Makes you think when you get off and leave stuff on the ship? What does everyone take off when they go ashore?

Personally, I would argue that they were not left behind at all, they were picked up where they expected to be picked up and were transported to the ship, just not quite in the manner they expected.

Why quibble so much with terminology? OK, so you're not really wrong, but Chip wasn't really wrong, either. If you expect to be getting on the, and the ship sails without you, that is certainly being left behind in a very real sense. Yes, there was a very good reason for it, and yes, they were provided with alternate transportation in order to catch back up with the ship. But still, the ship left port without them on it.

Why quibble so much with terminology? OK, so you're not really wrong, but Chip wasn't really wrong, either. If you expect to be getting on the, and the ship sails without you, that is certainly being left behind in a very real sense. Yes, there was a very good reason for it, and yes, they were provided with alternate transportation in order to catch back up with the ship. But still, the ship left port without them on it.
Just offering my personal opinion. As far as why, because I found the title to be unnecessarily provocative compared to the actual situation. Something more suited for a tabloid than a message board.

Actually they were, well... umm... delayed in boarding the ship due to weather related causes, transported by the cruise line to a safer location where they were able to board the ship and continue their cruise. Obviously I'm not the only one who felt the title was misleading compared to what actually happened.

I just looked at the french newspaper nice matin, nicematin.fr, and have to say that was a very impressive storm that did an amazing amount of damage along the coast, I am not surprise the ship has to leave the waves in Nice were apparently 10 to 15 meters.

I just hope that all of the passengers were safe.

When we travel we take our money belts & in there we carry our pass ports ,drivers license ,medical cards ,travelers checks ,credit cards & air flight tickets . we carry those on every port visit . This way we are sure ,if stranded that we can get back home .

Having dangerous boarding in rough seas is a very good reason for the Captain to move the ship to a safer port if available or wait it out .

Archived