Queen Mary 2 Independence Day Cruise

bobby1119

I just received my pre-cruise documents and, as a Cunard veteran and aficionado, was puzzled by the bizarre dress code:

July 1 New York - elegant casual (OK)

July 2 At Sea - Formal (expected)

July 3 Halifax - Semi-formal (nice)

July 4 Boston - Formal (on a port night?)

July 5 At Sea - Formal (the night before NY?)

While I expected a formal night on July 2, I was surprised to see a formal for the Boston call, especially since it is an 11:59 pm sailing. I was even more surprised to see the last night before NY designated as formal.

I enjoy formal nights, and I certainly had plenty of them during the 2007 QE2 world cruise, but what planet or cosmos is Cunard living on? Formal on a port night and the night before NY?

Either it's a misprint or they are even more out of touch with reality than I could have ever imagined or they need to squeeze in just one more formal night for the photographers.

Any comments or thoughts as to what they were thinking will be appreciated and, as always, fun to read.

B:confused:bby

Bobby, I agree with you 100%. I like Formal Dress nights as much as anyone, and I certainly had plenty of them on the 2008 Farewell World Cruise of the QE2, but on this sailing and under the special circumstances you name, the projected dress code is absurd.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

Bobby,

Yes, that dress code is odd, especially since you will be in Boston Harbor on the 4th of July. Last year, the dress code for that night was semi-formal, but most were dressed 'elegant casual' for the fireworks which were viewed later in the evening from the bow, upper deck. It appeared that many made other dining arrangements so as not to miss the fireworks and thus avoided dressing 'semi-formal'. However, as the QM2 was docked some distance away, viewing the fireworks on board was not all we had hoped---although it was fun with so many passengers gathered informally on the upper deck. Afterward, the party continued with a festive sing along in the Pub:)

As for formal dress code on 5 July, I suppose many will not be disembarking in NY the next day. Or, as you point out, it could be a typographical error. Once we were on a QM2 voyage where passengers boarding in Southampton were given a different dress code agenda than those boarding in NY, which made for some confusion and some comic scenes.

We've taken the 5 night QM2 July Canada cruise in 2008 and 2009, but not this year as it was not one of our favorites. Hopefully, things will be much better this year and you will have a wonderful voyage.:)

Regards,

Salacia

On the 4-night Labor Day cruise last year we were supposed to have two formal nights: the first day at sea and the night of our only port: Saint John. NB. We stayed later in Saint John longer than was originally on the itinerary: we were supposed to to be there from 8:00 am till at 6:00 pm but ended up arriving at 4:15 am and departed at 11:00 pm.

Even though the Daily Programme on embarkation still listed 2 formal nights, the second formal night never happened (it was changed to Elegant Casual).

I am sure that the powers that be will change the Boston and the last night formals to semi formal and elegant casual. If you are sailing late from Boston there is no way it will be formal as half the ship will be ashore and the same applies logically to the last night as the disembarking passenger's luggage needs to be out early. So I wouldn't worry about it.

After many months aboard Cunard ships I can assure the original poster of one thing: the dress code will not conform entirely to the indication he received. In all likelihood the only formal night will be the first night at sea (July 2). See you there!

What your pre-cruise documents tell you and what actually happens on the ship don't always match. It is rare for a port day to be formal and on the last evening you are packing because the bags must be put outside the door that evening.

We much enjoyed the QM2 4th of July cruise last year. And, indeed, the dress code was Elegant Casual (July 1), Formal (July 2), Formal (July 3), Semi-Formal (July 4), and Elegant Casual (July 5). All the Daily Programmes and other mementos from the trip are in the QM2 July 2009 album of the pb82 homepage. Bon Voyage!

We much enjoyed the QM2 4th of July cruise last year. And, indeed, the dress code was Elegant Casual (July 1), Formal (July 2), Formal (July 3), Semi-Formal (July 4), and Elegant Casual (July 5). All the Daily Programmes and other mementos from the trip are in the QM2 July 2009 album of the pb82 homepage. Bon Voyage!

Thanks, PB, for the information.

I especially appreciated the link to the progams, etc. Are the fireworks visible from the ship? I know they take place on the Charles River which is on the other side of the city from the cruiseship terminal.

• 3 weeks later...
We were aboard last July 4th also.

You could see the fireworks , kind of far off . Couldn't hear them .

:(

That was the reason why I booked this cruise - to see the fireworks from the Boston harbor:mad:. My P3 is non-refundable... Oh, well! I'll force myself to go anyway:D.

Our first time on the QM2 it was also on the forth of july in 2005 and we saw the fireworks twice: first in Rhode Island and then in New York's Hudson and East Rivers. It was just amazing!

That was the reason why I booked this cruise - to see the fireworks from the Boston harbor:mad:. My P3 is non-refundable... Oh, well! I'll force myself to go anyway:D.

Our first time on the QM2 it was also on the forth of july in 2005 and we saw the fireworks twice: first in Rhode Island and then in New York's Hudson and East Rivers. It was just amazing!

we did this cruise in 06, and was a little bit of a let down to not really that many fireworks! IT was still nice to see some though!!

Autumn Getaway on July 4th?????? What happened to Summer :confused:

Well, if it's true Cunard is British, then the total lack of a summer in these parts for the past two years has probably led them to believe it no longer exists as a season.

Or that could be me. :p

Well, if it's true Cunard is British, then the total lack of a summer in these parts for the past two years has probably led them to believe it no longer exists as a season.

Or that could be me. :p

Justfoxie, <smile> wishing you a happy sunny summer. -Salacia

Perhaps it has something to do with July 4 being a national holiday?? Being formally dressed and able to watch Boston fireworks from the deck??

While the Fourth of July is a national holiday in the USA, Cunard calls this segment voyage "Autumn Getaway", not "Independence Day" cruise. Formal attire on the top deck? Watch the Boston fireworks from such a distance? Nice thoughts, but far from actual experience, sorry to say.

Regards,

Salacia

• 2 weeks later...
While the Fourth of July is a national holiday in the USA, Cunard calls this segment voyage "Autumn Getaway", not "Independence Day" cruise. Formal attire on the top deck? Watch the Boston fireworks from such a distance? Nice thoughts, but far from actual experience, sorry to say.

Regards,

Salacia

Please check your facts first. The July 4th cruise on the QM2 is called just that. . .the

4th of July Getaway

days_5.gif

Please check your facts first. The July 4th cruise on the QM2 is called just that. . .the

4th of July Getaway

days_5.gif

Real P M,

I beg your pardon, but immediately prior to writing that post, I checked cunard.com voyage finder and at that time, Cunard was indeed calling that voyage "Autumn Getaway". I had previously checked voyage finder several times prior to that posting as I was following fare changes. The cruise was being called "Autumn Getaway", although on promotional e-mails that Cunard sent to me, it was being called "4th of July Getaway". Perhaps the difference can be attributed to marketing methods; the fact that not all Cunard passengers celebrate the 4th of July, and/or might find confusing a "4th of July Getaway" that departs on July 1.

While I am always extremely careful about fact checking (having worked in publishing for many years), it does appear that facts sometimes change; what I posted was accurate at the time of posting.

Regards,

Salacia

I have always thought that regardless of whether we live on the east or west of the pond, we ought to celebrate July 4th. I understand that some celebrate this date as Independence Day, personally I always regard it as Thanksgiving!! :)

Real P M,

I beg your pardon, but immediately prior to writing that post, I checked cunard.com voyage finder and at that time, Cunard was indeed calling that voyage "Autumn Getaway". I had previously checked voyage finder several times prior to that posting as I was following fare changes. The cruise was being called "Autumn Getaway", although on promotional e-mails that Cunard sent to me, it was being called "4th of July Getaway". Perhaps the difference can be attributed to marketing methods; the fact that not all Cunard passengers celebrate the 4th of July, and/or might find confusing a "4th of July Getaway" that departs on July 1.

While I am always extremely careful about fact checking (having worked in publishing for many years), it does appear that facts sometimes change; what I posted was accurate at the time of posting.

Regards,

Salacia

Just thought I was being helpful. And, of course if you worked in publishing you certainly know the importance of being correct. You wouldn't want to continue on with what was obviously a mistake, would you?:)

Just thought I was being helpful. And, of course if you worked in publishing you certainly know the importance of being correct. You wouldn't want to continue on with what was obviously a mistake, would you?:)

Real PM, you are too kind.

Regards,

Salacia

Archived