a word about souvenirs

Since this subject has been brought up several times already, i wanted to issue a word of warning when buying certain souvenirs and packing them for your trip home.

Anything that contains even a small amount of liquid, cannot be carried onto the plane. We made the mistake of buying a snow globe and not wanting to pack it, we decided to hand carry it on the plane.

A real NO NO.

we got stopped at the x-ray machine, had to unpack everything. the Globe was sealed in plastic, and never even opened, but we had to unpack it, unseal it, and it was denied being able to be taken aboard. We were lucky, in that we were able to go down and they gave us a box and it was sent with our luggage.

So do not try and hand carry liquor, perfume, anything that has above the limit of liquid (I think it is 3 ounces), or you may be forced to leave it behind.

Cheers

Len

This is so true. I remember passing through the security checkpoint in Copenhagen and seeing large duty free bottles of liquor purchased on the ship, confiscated and just waiting for disposal. Folks were expecting to carry these on, and it is prohibited. So, if you buy any duty free liquor on the ship, remember, it must be packed in your luggage...or buy it at the duty free shop in the airport. You don't save money if you have to leave it behind.

Yup, and I think this is becoming even more of a problem, particularly with snow globes. Every airport I was in over the past week (London Heathrow, Houstin, Austin, Denver & Colorado Springs) had signs at security saying that snow globes of any size MUST be checked. They are not allowed in hand luggage. I must admit I have no clue why snow globes are such a security concern, but apparently they are.

You should also be wary of the duty free shops in the airport terminals. We bought some olive oils in the shop in BCN airport and were assured we could take them onboard (we had already passed thru security). But what we found out the hard way: for US bound flights there is a secondary security where (of course) they took our newly purchased liquids.

Diffferent trip, similar lesson: returning from Europe we had some wine we had purchased in the gift shop after security (LHR maybe?) BUT when we changed planes at JFK, we had to go back thru security and (of course) we were not allowed to carry them thru there.

----------------

Helen

Absolutely right, once you change planes in the US you cannot carry any of that with you. If you are flying to a US airport and then have other transport you are okay -- just cannot reboard with any liquids, no matter where you purchased them.

So, don't waste your money if once you land in the US you have to take another flight.

Barbara

You should also be wary of the duty free shops in the airport terminals. We bought some olive oils in the shop in BCN airport and were assured we could take them onboard (we had already passed thru security). But what we found out the hard way: for US bound flights there is a secondary security where (of course) they took our newly purchased liquids.

Diffferent trip, similar lesson: returning from Europe we had some wine we had purchased in the gift shop after security (LHR maybe?) BUT when we changed planes at JFK, we had to go back thru security and (of course) we were not allowed to carry them thru there.

----------------

Helen

Absolutely be wary what you buy in terminal. While we didn't have any liquids to worry about, last year when we flew from BCN to LHR (on BA) we had to go through full security again at LHR for our flight to States from LHR. Then when back in states had to go through full security again when connecting to our regional airport.

On the TSA website snowglobes are listed as not allowed - probably due to the liquid in them. Are those TSA guides the same for the US and Europe?

No, guidlines are not uniform except for Flights INTO the US. But even then, the strictness varies on the Country. UK is tight.

Bottom line is assume TSA standards and you will be ok ie no liquids. A snowglobe filled with bad stuff would not be good:eek:

How do you guys manage "no water" rule - I have to drink during flights, and whatever water they give it's not enough, too long to wait till next time they bring water around if I need to take a pill. And not being a diabetic means a doctor would not give me a note for liquids.

I bring an empty insulated mug with cap.

When coming through Copenhagen they let pass the snow-globe, but made me empty my camera of sim card and batteries. Atlanta however, made me ship the snow-globe in my husband's backpack. Good Save Atlanta! I didn't even realize it was there. They (CPN) also made me throw out water bottle I purchased after going through security. Said "don't tell us, tell your country! they make us do this".

"Usually once you have passed the screening area, you buy bottled water, coffee, soda. "

I will have a layover in Amsterdam, and fly out of Copenhangen. Does it mean, there will be no 2nd screening at the gate, and I can bring my water on the plane (water that I will buy after security screening)?

Archived