Boarding with an expired passport?

I've also cruised in the past with an expired Passport, but that was several yrs ago, and if I were you I'd call just to make sure. I know when you book online with RCCL (or put in for your Seapass) it asks what type of ID, and for passports it asks for an expiration date.

Just to be safe, calll them.

I went on several cruises with an expired passport. it was no problem checking in, however upon clearing customs and immigration after the cruise, sometimes I was also asked for my Birth Certificate and drivers license (and at Port Canaveral, once, I was also asked for my marriage certificate as a "bridge" between my maiden name on the BC and married name on the DL).

So, my advice is to travel with your BC and DL (and ML, if applicable) in addition to the expired passport if you don't want to run into potential delays/problems upon returning to the USA at the end of the cruise.

I went on several cruises with an expired passport. it was no problem checking in, however upon clearing customs and immigration after the cruise, sometimes I was also asked for my Birth Certificate and drivers license (and at Port Canaveral, once, I was also asked for my marriage certificate as a "bridge" between my maiden name on the BC and married name on the DL).

So, my advice is to travel with your BC and DL (and ML, if applicable) in addition to the expired passport if you don't want to run into potential delays/problems upon returning to the USA at the end of the cruise.

If you have all of those documents, why bother to bring the expired passport at all?

The former rules allowed expired passports as proof of citizenship, but you had to have a current, valid ID in addition to the expired passport. The new rules of the WHTI (implemented in parts between 2006 and 2009) make no provision for an expired passport to be used as proof of citizenship, however. All the cruise websites that used to list an expired passport as a suitable travel document have removed that wording.

Some of the border agents could be lenient, remembering the old rules and doing a personal interview, but I would not count on that in any way.

I was advised my passport must be valid for at least six months PAST the end of my cruise or may be denied boarding.

But then again, I'm a Canadian...you can never trust a Canadian:rolleyes:

Come on people. An expired passport is just not enough. The TSA will check and if it is not current, it is not valid. Why not just bite-the-bullet and get it renewed. Birth cert and DLs are not enough, rules are rules. After 9-11, we now have new responsabilities. Everyone wake up to real life now in todays world.

Ours expire in 2011 and we will get them renewed again. Reality.

If you have all of those documents, why bother to bring the expired passport at all?

Because it expedites things when they accept it and dont ask for all the other things. Less scrutiny. I had it, so why not bring it along with the other things.

Your passport has to be valid 6 months past you're expected return. If it isn't, they don't have to let you board.

Just get a new passport.

Actually, we were told by officials when I used my expired passport is that on closed looped cruise, they will accept expired passports up to 10 years, and let you board...the issue is clearing customs on the return. Some agents will clear you with the expired passport, and others might ask for supporting documents.

Where are you going? If your cruise leaves from outside the US you will probably have trouble getting there in the first place- you might not make it through airport security with an expired ID. And you will probably have trouble at customs too. Why not just get a new passport before you go and save yourself the stress of potentially having travel problems?

Even if you leave from and return to the US, you should still take a valid passport if you're going outside the US at all- you never know when you might end up stranded in a port or need it for ID for some reason. I lived in St. Maarten for a few years and a cruise ship ran into the dock and stranded all the passengers on the island- people with valid passports probably had a much easier time getting home!

I would suggest getting a new passport, If you get stranded abroad you will have a very hard time getting home. You may, however, use a WHTI-compliant travel document to travel on a "closed loop" cruise meaning that if the cruise leaves from the US and returns to the US you may use one of the documents below. Remember that with any WHTI-compliant documents and/or the new passport card you CAN NOT fly into the US. Hope this helps.

From http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by land and sea outside of the United States are required to present a passport book/card, or other valid travel documents to enter or re-enter the United States.

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website:

Effective June 1, 2009, all U.S. citizens are now required to present a passport book, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document when entering the United States.

Please Note: Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate (or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate.). The original birth certificate or a copy may be used. See the Department of Homeland Security's Ready, Set.. Go! for more information on the changing travel requirements.

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

U.S.PASSPORT AND WHTI COMPLIANT DOCUMENTS:

U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea.

The Passport Card: The passport card is only valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.

WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land and sea, as of January 31, 2008:

Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)

State Issued Enhanced Driver’s License (when available)

Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)

U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders

U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business

Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card

Form I-872 American Indian Card

twitchyguy,

Your list is good, but one major WHTI compliant document for RT cruises is missing from that list, the US certified BC with ID.

The better source for passport rules is the DHS site; State issues the passports, DHS makes the rules on how to use them. ;) The State dept. site and list is good as far as it goes, but it does not list ALL the options. (As they say themselves at the top of the page, it's just a summary of the rules found at the DHS website)

http://www.getyouhome.gov

A few years ago, I was able to take a cruise on NCL with a recently expired passport and it wasn't a problem. I came across this old thread from 2004, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=20054 but was wondering what was going on now. Thanks

I certainly wouldn't chance it given you apparently have > 6 weeks before boarding. We had to get our kids passports renewed and had them back non-expedited in well under a month.

exactly my thoughts. why have a passport that is expired?
It used to as valid as a birth certificate as a proof of citizenship, not sure if it still is. The first couple of cruises I went on, I took my drivers license as ID and an expired passport as proof of citizenship. Then I broke down and got it renewed.

Thanks for all the replies. She's going to the post office on Monday to get the passport renewed. We leave June 27th, so hopefully it will be back by then, but if not birth certificate will have to do I guess.

I was advised my passport must be valid for at least six months PAST the end of my cruise or may be denied boarding.

But then again, I'm a Canadian...you can never trust a Canadian:rolleyes:

This is also true for Americans.

Archived