Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

Just a head's up: Anyone thinking about going on their ship's ferry/excursion to St. John (whether staying on the shopping tour, coastal cruise or planning to disembark and grab a cab or safari bus to a beach). Someone on Celebrity cruise mentioned just a couple of posts ago that they were on the beach at 10:15 in St. John and their ship's ferry back was at 3:30. On the RCCL ship we'll be on, the ferry leaves Crown Bay, STT for St. John at 10:30 a.m. The other poster's ship undoubtedly had an earlier departure time from STT than the RCCL ship we will be on. Hence the later schedule all the way around.

Hockey ~ Taxi from Havensight to Red Hook in January was $10 per person each way so a total of $20 round trip instead of $24. Cost for taxi to beaches depends on which beach. It runs $6 or $7 per person. All other costs are correct. ENJOY!

Thanks, I was thinking taxi from Charlotte Amalie to Red Hook (not Havensight).

Just a head's up: Anyone thinking about going on their ship's ferry/excursion to St. John (whether staying on the shopping tour, coastal cruise or planning to disembark and grab a cab or safari bus to a beach). Someone on Celebrity cruise mentioned just a couple of posts ago that they were on the beach at 10:15 in St. John and their ship's ferry back was at 3:30. On the RCCL ship we'll be on, the ferry leaves Crown Bay, STT for St. John at 10:30 a.m. The other poster's ship undoubtedly had an earlier departure time from STT than the RCCL ship we will be on. Hence the later schedule all the way around.

ok that was me....sorry for any confusion...... I had a 9:00 metting time and we were sailing over by 9:30.

If we decide to do the ships tour to St. John, the excursion leaves at 10:15am. We will dock by 9:00 at Crown Bay. Will we have enough time to shop at Crown Bay before the excursion? Not familiar with the area, so are there shops at the Crown Bay pier? Thanks for any info.

looking for more info on the open air taxi. Sounds like this is really cheap and maybe to good to be true. Has anyone use this recently or have any knowledge of this service, cost and where they go?

It's basically a transfer for a few minute ride to the beaches from the ferry dock. They jam several people in until they're full and all of the beach stops.

If we decide to do the ships tour to St. John, the excursion leaves at 10:15am. We will dock by 9:00 at Crown Bay. Will we have enough time to shop at Crown Bay before the excursion? Not familiar with the area, so are there shops at the Crown Bay pier? Thanks for any info.

You will have plenty of time because there is nothing at Crown. All the stores are in downtown or Havensite.

If on Crown you should consider the $10 ferry to Water Island for Honeymoon Beach. It leaves from Crown.

looking for more info on the open air taxi. Sounds like this is really cheap and maybe to good to be true. Has anyone use this recently or have any knowledge of this service, cost and where they go?

You're referring to the "$2 bus", you will find several threads on that topic. Bottom line,if you don't mind wasting some of your precious time you can save $. Not recommended for newbies.

We utilized the open air taxi on St. John for our island tour. We found them right as we arrived on St John.

There were 6 of us and we have the vehicle all for us. We negotiated with the driver before we departed to take us to Trunk Bay and wait for us for an extra $5 pp so for $30 pp we had a fabulous tour of the island with a narrative and stops along the way and 90 minutes at Trunk Bay.

I would highly recommend this option and I found all the info on this thread!

Susan

If you are asking about the open air taxis on St. John, they do both transfers to all the beaches and they also do island tours. You can also choose a combination of both like Hogladyrider did.

For a two hour island cruise, the fee is normally $25 per person. You can choose to then stop at a beach or be dropped off back in Cruz Bay. If you stop at a beach, you can negotiate with your driver to wait or come back and get you like Hogladyrider did. Every driver we've had will gladly come back and get you. If you go to Cinnamon or Trunk Bay, there are always open air taxis waiting to take people back to the ferry dock.

I've never found the open air taxis on St. John to be overly crowded. I tend to find the taxis on St. Thomas to crowd people in for transfers to the ferry because they are trying to get as many people in the taxi as possible to get the largest fare. Taxis on St. John may also try to fill, but it's not nearly as bad as it is on St. Thomas.

ENJOY!

• 2 weeks later...

Getting down to the wire and I thought I had my day planned on St. John. But now unsure....

Dock in Crown at 9:00, will try to catch taxi (grab some other folks if possible to share the ride).

Hopefully leave Redhook on 10:00 ferry.

Arrive Cruz Bay and get a taxi....my DH wants to get dropped at Annaberg Ruins, hike (Leinster trail) to Waterlemon and snorkel.

After we snorkel

Hopefully find a taxi to pick us back up and get back to Cruz by 2:00.

Cruise ship leaves Crown at 5:00.

Other option would be to get the 3:45 ferry to Charlotte Amalie and try to get back to Crown in time (seems risky).

My questions are: Has anyone heard of "Fred's taxi" on St. John (my DH was advised they were an option)?

Any idea on drive distance to Waterlemon from Cruz?

Trying to determine if 4 hours on St. John is enough time to accomplish this :) Thanks!

Hi Kangaroo ~ looking at your docking time, I'm guessing you are on Oasis or Allure. Making the 10:00 AM ferry when docking at Crown Bay at 9:00 is possible but don't be surprised if you don't make it. You stand a better chance if you can find some folks to share a taxi to Red Hook ahead of time.

You are looking at a 25 - 30 minute ride out to Annaberg from Cruz Bay. Then you've got the hike (we've done it but I don't recall how long it took) but a quick google search says it's about a 30-minute walk. So you are now at an hour before you get in the water. Remember you have to swim/snorkel out to Waterlemon (you will both be snorkeling together, right?) and then swim back in. If you decide to do this I highly recommend making arrangements with your taxi driver to return and pick you up at a specific time at Annaberg. Counting on finding a taxi out there could be iffy.

I do not think you have enough time to take the 3:45 ferry to Charlotte Amalie. It's a 35 - 40 minute ferry ride which will get you back to St. Thomas close to 4:30. Then you have to find a taxi to get you back to Crown Bay (it's a good 20 - 25 minute walk...we just did it). That's cutting it WAY too close for me. I'd be much more comfortable taking the 3:00 PM ferry back to Red Hook. Although I've always said if I was going to get left behind by a ship, this is where I'd want to be. I'd be right back on a ferry heading back to St. John! :)

So, if you don't make the 10:00 AM ferry and end up getting to St. John at 11:20, does that give you enough time to get to and snorkel Waterlemon? I think you'd be really rushing it. Maybe you can make your final decision once you know what ferry you'll catch.

Have a GREAT day no matter what you decide.

ENJOY!

WOW, Steve!!!! Your underwater photos just blow me away! They are fantastic. My next purchase may need to be a Canon D20. Looks like you had the PERFECT vacation....except that it had to end. I'm sure you are already planning the next one.

Thanks so much for sharing! I wanna grow up to be an underwater photographer just like you!

Hockey ~ Taxi from Havensight to Red Hook in January was $10 per person each way so a total of $20 round trip instead of $24. Cost for taxi to beaches depends on which beach. It runs $6 or $7 per person. All other costs are correct. ENJOY!

According to several ppl we met while staying at Sapphire in Jan the posted taxi rates are still in effect and a taxi from CA to Red Hook is $10pp each way and $9pp from Havensight. Not a big diff but just to clarify for folks who question the different numbers being posted.

Thanks Anne! I've had a bunch of distractions, but hope to be able to participate a little more often going forward!

Actually, we leave Thursday for a week long visit. We've never been in high season, and we'll be staying in a condo just above town.

I'm going to try and run the 8 Tuff Miles on Saturday (bucket list item) - wish me luck, I'll need it!

According to several ppl we met while staying at Sapphire in Jan the posted taxi rates are still in effect and a taxi from CA to Red Hook is $10pp each way and $9pp from Havensight. Not a big diff but just to clarify for folks who question the different numbers being posted.

Blue ~ I was there in December (you'll remember probably) and the person putting people in taxis at Crown Bay and our driver (which we subsequently left) both quoted $11 per person from Crown Bay to Red Hook. We were there again in January and again, we were quoted $10 from Havensight to Red Hook and again the same $10 return to the ship when we returned (and they are different taxi associations). So I'm just reporting what we actually paid. Those were rates quoted by both the person filling the taxis and the taxi driver. I'll be there again in a couple of weeks and I'll report back.

Thanks Anne! I've had a bunch of distractions, but hope to be able to participate a little more often going forward!

Actually, we leave Thursday for a week long visit. We've never been in high season, and we'll be staying in a condo just above town.

I'm going to try and run the 8 Tuff Miles on Saturday (bucket list item) - wish me luck, I'll need it!

Dang, Augie ~ we're going to miss you by a couple of weeks. It's been a long time since we've been there in season. But we're out in Coral Bay so I'm guessing it will be the sleepy place it normally is. Can't wait. Thanks again for the photos. Loved them!

Blue ~ I was there in December (you'll remember probably) and the person putting people in taxis at Crown Bay and our driver (which we subsequently left) both quoted $11 per person from Crown Bay to Red Hook. We were there again in January and again, we were quoted $10 from Havensight to Red Hook and again the same $10 return to the ship when we returned (and they are different taxi associations). So I'm just reporting what we actually paid. Those were rates quoted by both the person filling the taxis and the taxi driver. I'll be there again in a couple of weeks and I'll report back.

That's ok - no need to report back. The Havensight to RH rate isn't officially published but apparently depends on the day or some other factor. The rate from CA to RH is published as $13 or $10pp for 2 or more, and I expected Crown to be $11 but for 2 ppl or more. We don't taxi anymore and just hear everyone else comment on the slight differences they get charged but no biggie.

I did a quick web search of St. Thomas sites that post current taxi rates. They are exactly the rates we paid in Dec/Jan respectively. And the rates we paid were for two or more. I have found the posted rates to be pretty accurate. Some drivers will discount the return trip if you allow them to return to Red Hook and pick you up....but remember....they can't enter the Red Hook ferry terminal parking lot (different taxi association). You have to walk outside the gates and across the street to meet your driver. Our last driver didn't offer that discount so we took a taxi in the parking lot at the ferry.

Great cruising to all!

Edited by Host Anne