Ash: Barcelona Airport Closed Today

From the Reuters newswire, they have this headline: "Ash cloud closes 19 Spanish airports, could spread" with these highlights: "Spain shut 19 northern airports including Barcelona on Saturday because of the cloud of ash blowing south from a volcano in Iceland. The government said over 400 flights would be canceled, leaving almost 40,000 people stuck in airports stretching from La Coruna in the northwest to Barcelona in the northeast. Air traffic was expected to be affected until 2 a.m. (8:00 p.m. EDT Saturday) on Sunday morning, at which time flights would gradually resume. However, the government said there was a chance the cloud could still be affecting Spain next week."

From the Associated Press in the past hour, they have this headline: "Ash delays, reroutes trans-Atlantic flights" with these highlights: "Hundreds of flights between Europe and North America were either delayed or canceled on Saturday due to the spreading cloud of volcanic ash stretching across much of the northern Atlantic, the European flight control agency said. Flights had to be rerouted north over Greenland or south over Spain to avoid the 1,200-miles (2,000-kilometer) -long cloud stretching from Iceland to northern Spain, Eurocontrol said. This will increase flying times by about an hour in either direction."

The full stories can be seen at:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jh7lQ-qBxQMPzPd3Iap7_s3YDBfQD9FINAGG0

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6470MB20100508

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Hmmm, I am supposed to fly to Europe on Monday for a trade show before our 5/15 cruise departure. Do you suppose I could expense a transoceanic on the QE2?:p

Fine with me. Take the QE2 and tell them that I approved it. I won't, however, let you put it on my credit card.

As noted, they were closing some airports today. Now it's known that there will be more closings to happen on Sunday. Some flights can fly around the path of this ash. Others can't.

From the AP newswire with in the last hour, they have this headline: "Ash delays and reroutes trans-Atlantic flights" with these added details and highlights: "The Icelandic volcano with the unpronounceable name reminded the world again that it has the power to disrupt international travel — coughing out a spreading cloud of ash that delayed or canceled hundreds of flights between Europe and North America on Saturday. The prospects for Sunday flights remained grim, with no improvement in sight for trans-Atlantic passengers, and with a plume of low-altitude ash continuing to float eastward over Spain and southern France. Flights had to be rerouted north over Greenland or south around Spain to avoid the 1,200-mile (2,000-kilometer)-long cloud stretching from Iceland to northern Spain. Approximately 600 airliners make the oceanic crossing every day. Around 40 percent were rerouted southward and the rest skirted Iceland from the north, according to Eurocontrol."

See the full story at:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jh7lQ-qBxQMPzPd3Iap7_s3YDBfQD9FIQ3I00

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

so...is this going to be an issue forever? I may have to consider trip insurance!!!!!!

Even considered a transatlantic cruise to connect up with our western mediterranean because between cancelled flights and higher air fares it is almost cheaper to book another cruise!

Beverly

so...is this going to be an issue forever? I may have to consider trip insurance!!!!!!

It's still a mystery as to how long it will remain active this time.

"Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano, the culprit behind the flight cancellations, has erupted only twice before over the past 1,100 years. The volcano's last active period lasted from 1821 to 1823."

Since the volcanic activity is currently taking place, I don't think trip insurance is an option now. Might want to book that trans-Atlantic after all.:)

so...is this going to be an issue forever? I may have to consider trip insurance!!!!!! Beverly

Hi, Beverly! You might want to check carefully on what the various travel insurances will, or WILL NOT, cover. Some firms are declaring this volcano as a "pre-existing" condition and something they won't cover at a later date, if any problems. Others have policies saying it is a "weather condition" and do not have any exceptions. You need to check carefully BOTH what they "say" they will cover and what actually is written in the policy details. With some companies, there are gaps between the verbal versus written promises/exclusions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

"Pre-existing" LOL :D

Act of god..

It isnt' weather for certain, but weather that is blowing it everywhere so I don't think "weather" counts as there is always "wind" ;)

Hope everyone makes their flight/trip or what ever.

Hi, Beverly! You might want to check carefully on what the various travel insurances will, or WILL NOT, cover. Some firms are declaring this volcano as a "pre-existing" condition and something they won't cover at a later date, if any problems. Others have policies saying it is a "weather condition" and do not have any exceptions. You need to check carefully BOTH what they "say" they will cover and what actually is written in the policy details. With some companies, there are gaps between the verbal versus written promises/exclusions.

'Pre-existing' refers to a medical condition.

The volcano is a 'known event' ... just as you can't buy hurricane insurance for your house once a hurricane has been announced, you can't buy coverage now for the Iceland volcano. If you had a policy in place prior to the eruption, it may or may not cover losses associated with it, depending on the policy wording.

Has anyone found a good, easy website with a daily list of airport closures in Europe?

One option is to use Google.com and then click on their news section. Then search for stories under the title of "Iceland volcano". That will produce a number of stories on that subject. Then you can also hit the button for those that are the most current. It's titled "sort by date".

Try this great website with very interesting maps showing the specific locations over the Atlantic and land on the ash at various sky elevations:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/volcano/ashconcentration/

From Business Week/Bloomberg News in the last 15 minutes, they have this AP headline: "A glance at flight disruptions due to volcanic ash" with these highlights: "Eurocontrol expects flight disruptions around four points in European airspace on Sunday. An ash cloud lingers over northwest Scotland and a finger stretches into northwest Spain and Portugal. An isolated cloud affects southern France and north Switzerland while another hangs over southern Switzerland, northern Italy, southern Germany, the Czech Republic and Austria." This story goes into specific details at each major airport around Europe.

The full story is at:

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9FJ9JSG0.htm

Thanks Terry. I'd just been "googlin'" The one from the met office is great. I was looking for something to check periodically to see which areas have either seldom or no ash closures over the next few months. I had not expected to see Barcelona close at all during these events. Hence my question.

I sail from Harwich in Sept. Since I have already purchased an RT Eurostar ticket from London for a day trip to Paris, I've been just been toying around with how I might make alternate plans, if need be, to head there or further South if necessary and make my way by train to Paris to use the return ticket. Doubtful I'll need to.

Martha in RI (who grew up in Columbus)

Thanks Terry. I had not expected to see Barcelona close at all during these events. Hence my question. I sail from Harwich in Sept. Since I have already purchased an RT Eurostar ticket from London for a day trip to Paris, I've been just been toying around with how I might make alternate plans, if need be, to head there or further South if necessary and make my way by train to Paris to use the return ticket. Doubtful I'll need to. Martha in RI (who grew up in Columbus)

THANKS, Martha, for the follow-up! It's good that you have lots of time between now and September, plus that you are thinking and planning ahead on alternatives and options. Hopefully, it will all work out OK for all of us with our Europe travels. Like your state of RI and super love Maine to the north of you. What part of Columbus did you live it? We're in the Clintonville area of north Columbus. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

This is getting old! I leave in about 2 weeks - I fly from Washington DC first to Heathrow and then the following day onto Barcelona. I have 3 days I planned on seeing as much of Barcelona as I could pre cruise so hopefully I'll be okay or there's a train or something I could take if need be. Hard to think anyone would miss a cruise because they couldn't get there!I have trip insurance but I'd rather take the trip than a refund - lots of planning and saved money put into this trip. Ugh!

This is getting old! I leave in about 2 weeks - I fly from Washington DC first to Heathrow and then the following day onto Barcelona. I have 3 days I planned on seeing as much of Barcelona as I could pre cruise so hopefully I'll be okay or there's a train or something I could take if need be. Hard to think anyone would miss a cruise because they couldn't get there!I have trip insurance but I'd rather take the trip than a refund - lots of planning and saved money put into this trip. Ugh!

YES, these things can be very, very frustrating. The "unknown" is worse than the known for what will happen. On insurance, I don't know your exact policy details, but most don't allow you to cancel just because something "MIGHT" or "COULD" happen. Hang in there! Hopefully things will work out OK. The airlines are getting better for figuring out how to fly around these problems.

From the CNN within the past hour, they have this headline: "Volcanic ash cloud disrupts flights" with these highlights: "Ash from an Icelandic volcano is continuing to affect European flights on Monday, delaying transatlantic aircraft and threatening flights over parts of Ireland and Portugal. Eurocontrol, the agency that manages European air travel, said: 'During the afternoon, areas of higher ash concentration could move in a north-easterly direction from the Atlantic into the Iberian Peninsula.' "

The full story is at:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/05/10/volcanic.ash.flights.europe/

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Thanks Rocketman574. I'll check that link periodically.

Terry: Grew up in Bexley. Grandparents lived closer to you...on Valhalla ravine.

I'll feel doubly jinxed I miss this cruise which has 2 port days in Iceland! Hopefully the volcano will have its ash in order the week before.

Thanks Rocketman574Terry: Grew up in Bexley. Grandparents lived closer to you...on Valhalla ravine.

THANKS, Martha! Know Bexley well and have a number of friends there. We live in the Overbrook Ravine, just north of Walhalla Ravine. Both ravines are lovely and nice parts of Columbus, handy to OSU, etc. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

'Pre-existing' refers to a medical condition.

The volcano is a 'known event' ... just as you can't buy hurricane insurance for your house once a hurricane has been announced, you can't buy coverage now for the Iceland volcano. If you had a policy in place prior to the eruption, it may or may not cover losses associated with it, depending on the policy wording.

I hope people do not take this post seriously. If you have a trip this summer and are nervous about a future eruption, travel insurance from major carriers will certainly cover you.

Insurance companies consider "eruptions" and not the Volcano to be the known event. I purchased insurance on Monday for my vacation in July and Travel Guard told me that I am covered for future eruptions. Others on my roll call (those of us who usually self insure) are getting insurance, even at this late date.

But please do not believe the post I have quoted or even my post. Call Travel Guard or its competitors and find out for yourself what insrance will cover. I am not sure what the insurance sold by cruiselines cover and what it doesn't. Normally, I don't purchase excursions, flights, or insurance from cruiselines. I may be one of those people who believe companies are good at one thing and spend your money on that one thing. With cruiselines, that means things ON the ship (and not things before or off the ship. ;)

Edit - not sure about other policies. but read them carefully as mine directs me to call the insurance company within five hours of a flight cancellation or other known event.

We flew from Barcelona to Zurich and from Zurich to Chicago on May 17 with no problems. Didn't notice any delays or flights affected.

We only wish the airports and people in US were as good, caring and clean as those in those European airports. Maybe Swiss Air can expand in the US to take over flight routes from United and Continental.

We flew from Barcelona to Zurich and from Zurich to Chicago on May 17 with no problems. Didn't notice any delays or flights affected.

We only wish the airports and people in US were as good, caring and clean as those in those European airports. Maybe Swiss Air can expand in the US to take over flight routes from United and Continental.

Your report is great to hear. We too are flying Swiss in a couple of weeks JFK to Zurich to BCN.

I am hoping that all striking goverment workers are finished by the time we get there.

Your report is great to hear. We too are flying Swiss in a couple of weeks JFK to Zurich to BCN.

I am hoping that all striking goverment workers are finished by the time we get there.

Sorry, what striking government workers are you talking about? How would that affect flights??:confused:

Sorry, what striking government workers are you talking about? How would that affect flights??:confused:

The goverment workers in Spain are going on Strike as of now on June 8, 2010 This will affect the dock workers, air traffic controllers. I feel sorry for the folks coming and going on the Brillance of the Sea.

From the Christian Science Monitor yesterday, they have this headline: "Volcanic ash cloud: Is eruption of Eyjafjallajökull over?" with these highlights: "There is no volcanic ash cloud over Europe today, and forecasts from Britain's Meteorological Office show clear skies all week. The Iceland volcano, Eyjafjallajökull, is shrinking and now appears dormant. During the past two months that the Iceland volcano was creating an ash cloud over Europe and erupting magma, it was also slowly 'deflating' to the point that it has now shrunk several centimeters in size, says volcanologist Bryndís Brandsdóttir of the Institute of Earth Sciences at the University of Iceland."

From the Reuters story: "Icelandic meteorological office geographer Sigthrudur Armannsdottir said the volcano, about 120 km southeast of the capital Reykjavik, was now showing only minimal signs of life. 'There is no ash coming up and no lava,' she told Reuters. 'The volcano is dormant at the moment, but we are not ready to declare the eruption over.' "

Here are more details and the full stories:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64N3PR20100524

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2010/0525/Volcanic-ash-cloud-Is-eruption-of-Eyjafjallajoekull-over

Sounds like good news for us having upcoming trips planned to Europe to catch our cruises. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived