US $ in Victoria?

Not sure what we'll be doing during our short evening in Victoria. I know I can use a credit card in stores and restaurants. But for things like cabs, do I have to have Canadian currency? Years ago when traveling in Canada, Yankee greebacks were welcomed, but I've heard not so much now.

Cabs also take credit cards and that's what I would do.

Dollars are floating around the same value right now although ours did go down again the last few days but it's still pretty close and the cost of exchange by businesses on top of almost parity likely has cooled some from taking it at par. But I think most of the small guys in shops and stand would be open to them yankee greenbacks still :)

Not sure what we'll be doing during our short evening in Victoria. I know I can use a credit card in stores and restaurants. But for things like cabs, do I have to have Canadian currency? Years ago when traveling in Canada, Yankee greebacks were welcomed, but I've heard not so much now.

Taxis will take US$, credit cards and most debit cards. The only people who probably wont are the bus system, however US Coins are accepted as Cdn coins EVERYWHERE.

The past few years I've had no problem in any store using dollars for a small purchase; food, trinkets etc. This was in Vancouver and as far north as Whistler. At those time the canadian dollar was hovering a bit stronger to very close to equal to the US buck. Not sure what the policy/behavior of vendors will be if it dips a bit below equal as between the value and bank overhead when it makes sense to decline taking versus not getting any business.

Greenbacks will be OK. But the exchange rate won't be. The last time we were at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver, the Can $ and US$ were almost even. The hotel was charging 6% to exchange US dollars. If it 's only for tiny amounts it's no big deal. For larger amounts, take Can$ from your bank account using ATMs. You will need a 4 digit pin number.

• 1 month later...
Taxis will take US$, credit cards and most debit cards. The only people who probably wont are the bus system, however US Coins are accepted as Cdn coins EVERYWHERE.

The six of us hope to get a taxi or shuttle from pier to Front St., then buy stuff like candies and coffee. May I assume that the vendors will accept US currency?

The Victoria merchants live of American visitors, for sure they will accept US$. However you will probably won't get any exchange as our two dollars are with pennies of one another and you may well get your change in $CAN so that you can spend it at the next store. Now if you have any amount of CAN$ left over please feel free to mail it to me and I will look after it for you until you return. :D Aloha!

The Victoria merchants live of American visitors, for sure they will accept US$. However you will probably won't get any exchange as our two dollars are with pennies of one another and you may well get your change in $CAN so that you can spend it at the next store. Now if you have any amount of CAN$ left over please feel free to mail it to me and I will look after it for you until you return. :D Aloha!

Gee thanks, what a pal! :p

y'all need to tell me when you'll be in Victoria.. and i'll come down and trade you US bucks for Canadian bucks.. straight across the board ;) lolol

THen i won't have to exchange money for my cruise in October lol

Enjoy Victoria y'all!

The six of us hope to get a taxi or shuttle from pier to Front St., then buy stuff like candies and coffee. May I assume that the vendors will accept US currency?

Front St.? In Victoria? :confused: Did you mean Government Street?

But yes, vendors will take American dollars.

Front St.? In Victoria? :confused: Did you mean Government Street?

But yes, vendors will take American dollars.

Technically there is a Front St, it's in Vic West, and it's an old, residential street that you're unlikely to come across (although I did know someone who lived on it).

We were on a Coastal cruise and we found it strange that many of the shops on Government Street started closing at 6 PM. With ships in port I would think that they would close later. We did use our US dollars however at a pub on Government St. to sample some beers brewed in Victoria. Putterdude, we were on the same cruise as you.:)

I too was on your cruise along with PD.

Victoria is a government town and doesn't have a lot of people living in its downtown core so perhaps that is why the stores close early.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived