15% service charge on bar beverages

How does that work with the beverage cards? Do they receive a portion of the card income?
Yes, all of the 15% proceeds on cards go into the pool too.

The wine and cocktail cards which HAL offers do include the gratuity in the price........not to worry.
If you buy it on the ship the 15% gets added to the price they quote. For example, on the ship the 10-glass wine card is $36, plus 15% = $41.40. If you preorder it from Seattle, the price is ... $41.40! In both cases $5.40 goes into the bar staff pool.

Same thing for wine or liquor ordered by the bottle in advance. That's why there's "strange" prices on things. A $54.05 bottle of wine is really $47 plus 15%.

can someone explain why this charge exists on top of automatic daily tipping. are employees in the bar areas exempt from the tip pool?

Did you recently get off the Oosterdam? If so, hi from Lorene and good to see you on cruise critic;):D.

as part of a package for our Feb sailing from HAL. I left a cash tip for the bartender or waiter each time I used the card as I am sure that the cruise line would not give 15% to the bar staff if no one paid for the cards. Usually a buck a drink. Also got a better pour on the next drink.

HAL does not add a gratuity, however, if you bring your own wine to the table.

This is unlike Celebrity where I was suprised to see a 15% gratuity added to the (already steep!) $25 per bottle corkage fee.

HAL does not add a gratuity, however, if you bring your own wine to the table.

This is unlike Celebrity where I was suprised to see a 15% gratuity added to the (already steep!) $25 per bottle corkage fee.

HAL charges an $18 corkage fee if you bring your own wine to a restaurant or lounge; part of the $18 is the 15% service charge.

The bar staff are not union members. They do have a contract agreement signed by each employee, but no union.

Uuughh, not quite right.

ALL Hotel Service Staff onboard (except upper level supervisors) are union members.

Dining and Accommodation Stewards (and some Galley Staff) have a clause in their contracts that gives them a share of the general tip pool.

Beverage Stewards have a clause in their contracts that gives them a share of the 15% gratuity charged on beverages.

Why aren't the Beverage Stewards part of the general tipping pool?

1. Because non-drinking passengers would object to tipping staff who have not served them - and would remove part of the tips.

2. Cruise lines like to sell as many drinks as possible. Putting the beverage servers on a direct incentive system guarantees that most will try harder to sell those drinks.

• 2 weeks later...

:confused:As I understood by reading some of Carnival Corp Policy,that crew were not allowed to form Unions on any of their ships,hence the tipping and 15%

on every thing bought on board,otherwise all they would have to do is Strike

for a better wage and there would be no need for them to work for tips ect.I

would still tip for good service no matter what,JMHO,I stand to be corrected.

This is a good question for DBA.

Jim.:D:D

:confused:As I understood by reading some of Carnival Corp Policy,that crew were not allowed to form Unions on any of their ships,hence the tipping and 15%

on every thing bought on board,otherwise all they would have to do is Strike

for a better wage and there would be no need for them to work for tips ect.I

would still tip for good service no matter what,JMHO,I stand to be corrected.

This is a good question for DBA.

Jim.:D:D

Also a good question for BruceMuzz, equally in the 'know' as DBA, if not more so, who has already answered.

Also a good question for BruceMuzz, equally in the 'know' as DBA, if not more so, who has already answered.

As I do not know BRUCEMUZZ and though I respect his opinion and you say he knows more than DBA and you could be right I would still like other opinions

and backed up by facts?;);)

can someone explain why this charge exists on top of automatic daily tipping. are employees in the bar areas exempt from the tip pool?

Hi pinnaclegirl----been watching for you to turn up on CC. We really enjoyed our Oosterdam Pinnacle dinners with you.

As I do not know BRUCEMUZZ and though I respect his opinion and you say he knows more than DBA and you could be right I would still like other opinions

and backed up by facts?;);)

Ah yes, I assumed everyone knows everyone. Obviously impossible! I would be hesitant to list BMuzz's qualifications as I am not exactly sure myself. And despite my low post count, I have been hanging around these boards for years. I do see how some non-drinkers might not be on board with 'tipping' bar staff through the HSC, for a service specifically not used. Happy sailing.

Archived