Whats the strangest thing.......

alb1956

What's the strangest thing you've seen float by on your cruise?? On our first cruise I saw a perfectly square leather box float by.......never could figure out what it was......

. . . a good friend of mine while on a fishing trip south out of San Diego into Mexican waters came across a huge "white thing" they had been observing bobbing up and down in the water. When they approached it and pulled it onboard, they discovered it was a 60-70 lb. bale of shrink-wrapped Marijuana ! ! :eek:

My friend, who is quite well-to-do in his own right, jokingly told the Captain of this fishing boat he wanted to keep it. When the Captain said, "Absolutely Not". He even offered to buy the boat from the Captain (again jokingly) so he could keep it onboard and take it back to San Diego.:)

The Captain WISELY insisted they throw the bale back into the ocean and get to hell out of their - PRONTO ! !

What's the strangest thing you've seen float by on your cruise?? On our first cruise I saw a perfectly square leather box float by.......never could figure out what it was......

Maybe it was some cruise passenger's luggage ( the one who "forgot" to tip the porter ) ?:D

. . . a good friend of mine while on a fishing trip south out of San Diego into Mexican waters came across a huge "white thing" they had been observing bobbing up and down in the water. When they approached it and pulled it onboard, they discovered it was a 60-70 lb. bale of shrink-wrapped Marijuana ! ! :eek:

My friend, who is quite well-to-do in his own right, jokingly told the Captain of this fishing boat he wanted to keep it. When the Captain said, "Absolutely Not". He even offered to buy the boat from the Captain (again jokingly) so he could keep it onboard and take it back to San Diego.:)

The Captain WISELY insisted they throw the bale back into the ocean and get to hell out of their - PRONTO ! !

In Fl. we call them "square grouper." Easy to catch but the bag limit is zero!

I suspect that the wise Captain felt that it would be better to depart before the people expecting the "package" arrived. If that happened, the next thing seen floating by would, most likely, have been the remains of your boat! :cool::cool::cool:

I thought the same thing! Thankfully I had my fishing pole so I was able to snag a few of them.

LOL:p:):D. That was funny. Makes me wonder how do you people get it in your luggage and make it fit?:confused::confused::confused:

I've never seen anything float by but a few boats that are little tug boats and flying fish.

I suspect that the wise Captain felt that it would be better to depart before the people expecting the "package" arrived. If that happened, the next thing seen floating by would, most likely, have been the remains of your boat! :cool::cool::cool:

I agree . . . I would be more "skeered" of the original owners showing up and not being very understanding of the pure accidental nature of the "catch". :D

On the way to Hawaii from Vancouver on the 2nd sea day out I watched a beach ball bob by. Not sure where it came from as there was no ship in sight (and it would have been a working ship) and we were a day and a half from land on either side. It was inflated and very colourful with nice bright colours.

tigercat

You'll get more interesting stories from Naval Personnel. My DH while on active duty and deployed in the med in the early 80's saw a dead floating rhinocerous go by. Apparently, ships leaving Africa with wild animals just push them overboard if they die onboard. One other time, they came across several floating bales of marijuana off the southeast coast and the assumption was it was thrown overboard when those carrying it were either spotted or thought they were by the Coast Guard or DEA. That's actually a very common occurrence. On a cruise, we never see anything that interesting

In Fl. we call them "square grouper." Easy to catch but the bag limit is zero!

What was his name again? Have the 'Raunchy Rodeo' CD somewhere around here... caught them at the Flora-Bama a few years back.

Here comes Dan, with.... are you THAT Dan?

What was his name again? Have the 'Raunchy Rodeo' CD somewhere around here... caught them at the Flora-Bama a few years back.

Here comes Dan, with.... are you THAT Dan?

Ahhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh, WOW, that was pretty,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whew,,,, AM I,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What were you saying? Got any more brownies? Or a ham??:cool:

A large brown parcel wrapped box, complete with twine. It was an eerie still night, and the ship (Caribbean Princess) was engulfed in the thickest fog, no breeze, humid, the ship made no sound and the quiet was deafening. My mother and I sat out on the balcony, seemed that we were the only ones. A lightening storm jumped around us in the fog, and hundreds of bats flew in and out of the ships lights to catch the bugs they attracted, we had evenings like this almost every night of the cruise, and it rained just once. The parcel package wearily drifted by in the small peaked waves that the ship produced, bobbing up and down to the rythem of the current. We jumped at eachother at once, "did you see that?!" It wasn't so much a question as it was a statement. I've always wondered what was in that box, where was it going, what destination did it never reach? Who was it for? Did they have insurance? :D;):p

A small boat, partially submerged. The captain stopped to check it out and look around...saw nobody in the water. Called the Coast Guard to report it, and we were soon on our way. This was on the Sensation in mid-January. I have a picture of it on my other computer, but someone on that same sailing posted a much better one here at CC.

Boat load of Cubans. That was several years ago, and yes, we stopped to see if they were in distress. They apparently weren't, so we continued on our way, and called the U.S. Coast Guard to "assist" them.

"SKY"

Archived