Table Hog Poll

dosp

Have you (previous cruisers) waited to seat, while others waited to be "served"?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Have you (previous cruisers) waited to seat, while others waited to be "served"?

• Yes, and I was upset
    • Yes, and and I was NOT upset.
    • No, I didnt' notice, I ALWAYS got a seat, with hot food.
    • No, I don't care if I eat a cold breakfast.

I have no shame. Knowing me, I'd be just as happy sitting on the floor by a window with my tray in my lap. (Done it before!):p

It's really too bad if what you guys say is true about not being able to take your tray out to the pool. I love to eat out by the pool. It seems like it would solve the problem too.

I've never experianced this on CCL, I hope it's not a problem on our cruise.:(

No Ryker, according to many previous posters you should shed your skin of privacy, sit down next to the offending party, and ANNOUNCE YOUR INTENTIONS OF BEING THEIR FRIEND, AND EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, of course not. Some of us are PRIVATE people. We don't want to be forced to strike up conversations just to eat, nor to prove the other person is wrong. Now, if we were all armed......:o

It's one thing that we all sit together for dinner, whether we like it or not (OH you really should we met such WONDERFUL people that we had each other's babies and...) no, if romance and privacy is what you want. it is by amazing fortune that you receive it.

It's kind of a Disney vacation in that in some sense, you must stand up for what you want, or you will be relegated to your cabin for the entire trip. Don't worry, be SOMEWHAT assertive (you don't ask, you don't get), and you'll be fine.:D

Steve

I have no shame. Knowing me, I'd be just as happy sitting on the floor by a window with my tray in my lap. (Done it before!):p

It's really too bad if what you guys say is true about not being able to take your tray out to the pool. I love to eat out by the pool. It seems like it would solve the problem too.

I've never experianced this on CCL, I hope it's not a problem on our cruise.:(

I have not heard of not being able to take the tray out to the pool. On Celebrity ships there are tables around the pool. I even go to other restaurants and get what I like there and come back to my friends and eat in the other. This is my cruise.

If someone is sitting at a table and drinking coffee and playing cards...Hey....it's their cruise!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't have a problem with it....

They could be sitting there and just looking out the window. Sure they could sit somewhere else, but they just feel comfortable where they are and I am glad they are sitting at a table and just looking at the sea. The ships I have been on have never been short of a place to sit to eat.

Y'know, it's clear that there are at least some people who are posting without having read any of this thread.

Hey, I'm REALLY happy for those of you who've never been faced with having a tray full of food and no place to sit and eat it because so many tables are full of people who have camped out there for hours, are NOT eating, and have no intention of leaving to allow someone else to use that seat as it was intended -- for eating.

But some of us HAVE faced this, and it would really nice if y'all wouldn't discount it just because you haven't seen it yourself. Hey, I've never seen a Yak, but there's certainly enough evidence that they exist, and therefore I believe they do. I should think that the sheer number of posters who've stated they've experienced table hogs themselves would be of some significance.

Anyway, this is the kind of stuff that I find just amazing:

If someone is sitting at a table and drinking coffee and playing cards...Hey....it's their cruise!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't have a problem with it....

Yeah, okay, it's your cruise. So that means that you can do whatever you want, regardless of how it negatively impacts the other pax. Go ahead, cut in line at the buffet -- it's your cruise! Dump your towels and magazines on 15 pool-side chairs at 7:30 am, then go off for the day and return at 2pm, and have a shouting match with the people who deigned to actually sit in them. Go ahead and take all of the last 10 chocolate-covered strawberries at the midnight chocolate buffet, even though there are five people in line behind you who now won't get any...and take a bite out of three of them and leave the rest for the staff to dump. And go ahead and have a card game at a table straight through lunch on a rainy sea day, while elderly folks stand there with wobbling trays of food and wait until rush-hour ends to eat it.

I'd like to point out (again!) that there are numerous locations throughout the ship that are specifically designed for gatherings, card games, quiet reading, and other popular sea-day activities -- and they have great views too. However, the restaurant is for eating, so it would really kind of you to vacate your seat when you are done eating to allow someone else to do so. Thanks!

LeeAnne

I don't know why all of a sudden this has turned into a hot topic.

If it's just you looking for a table, plop yourself down at an empty chair and start up a conversation. If it's two or more, one of you find a table and hold the number of chairs you'll need and the other can go get a plate or just look around, something will come open or walk till you find a spot. If there's an empty chair at a table, it's for you.

Stretch

If there's an empty chair at a table, it's for you...huh? Not at my table, buddy.

DH and I have never encountered a problem finding an empty table on our cruises, but we certainly wouldn't just "plop ourselves down" with someone at their table. How rude! And I wouldn't want someone "plopping themselves down" at our table either. We have to sit with strangers at dinner, that's enough. Breakfast and lunch we want to eat alone. We don't usually go to breakfast or lunch at "peak" hours, so maybe that's why we've never had a problem. DH and I cruise to "get away from it all" and enjoy each other's company and "reconnect" with each other. We don't go to make friends with strangers. I know a lot of people love meeting new people, and that's great, for THEM, not for US. We don't enjoy all the "small talk" with strangers. Where are you from? You got kids? Blah blah blah

With as many tables there are in the Windjammer, both inside and outside, I just don't see where it would be a problem. I'm sure that only a couple of tables would be tied up with card players at any given time. Could it be that the complainers just wanted that perfect window table??? If it's all that big a deal, get the food and take it back to your cabin and for God's sake lighten up a little. Life's too short to get all in a wad over such rediculously petty things.:eek:

StretchO

I think you are onto something StretchO. I think it is just like pool chairs, people want the best ones right next to the pool where they can easily watch the pool band. There are always tons of pool chairs, but not in those perfect spots. My guess is that people want those window chairs. I can see the desire for this in Hawaii during whale season or Alaska, but how critical is it in the Caribbean? I don't get it.

jc

If there's an empty chair at a table, it's for you...huh? Not at my table, buddy.

DH and I have never encountered a problem finding an empty table on our cruises, but we certainly wouldn't just "plop ourselves down" with someone at their table. How rude! And I wouldn't want someone "plopping themselves down" at our table either. We have to sit with strangers at dinner, that's enough. Breakfast and lunch we want to eat alone. We don't usually go to breakfast or lunch at "peak" hours, so maybe that's why we've never had a problem. DH and I cruise to "get away from it all" and enjoy each other's company and "reconnect" with each other. We don't go to make friends with strangers. I know a lot of people love meeting new people, and that's great, for THEM, not for US. We don't enjoy all the "small talk" with strangers. Where are you from? You got kids? Blah blah blah

If two people are sitting at a table for 6 and the other seats in the room are full. I would ask politely may I seat here with you. I could not imagine a human being on the planet refusing those seats to me. It is a cafeteria, folks not a formal dining room. Did any of you go to public school?

jc

My goodness "BUDDY", If the two of you are so against being around "strangers" why in the hell go on a cruise. Do you really think that the ship will be full of 3200 of your best friends???

With that attitude, you could fit them all in a small rowboat.

You're missing out on one of the greatest things (IMHO) about cruising, meeting new people from different places, and by the second or third day, I've made enough new "friends" that I'll be invited to share a table with others. Get out there and mingle, or I suggest a little professional help. :eek:

StretchO

(I never get tired of playing the devil's advocate):D

[quote name='xpcdoojk']If two people are sitting at a table for 6 and the other seats in the room are full. I would ask politely may I seat here with you. I could not imagine a human being on the planet refusing those seats to me. It is a cafeteria, folks not a formal dining room. Did any of you go to public school?

jc[/QUOTE]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Right on jc![/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]It's sad that there are so many people that just lack the social skills to handle minor occurances like these. Time to get back to basics! Yes little Joey, you can play in Cissy's sandbox.:) [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000](fully donned in fire retardant clothing)[/color][/size][/font][/i]

I'm with you, stretch.
I enjoy meeting new people. And I could not understand why they wouldn't want to meet me!
I am such a fascinating person to know.:D
And I have never said "blah, blah, blah" in a conversation.
(I will admit though, to using "yadda, yadda, yadda". Shhh----)

celtic

[quote name='celtic selke']I'm with you, stretch.
I enjoy meeting new people. And I could not understand why they wouldn't want to meet me!
I am such a fascinating person to know.:D
And I have never said "blah, blah, blah" in a conversation.
(I will admit though, to using "yadda, yadda, yadda". Shhh----)

celtic[/QUOTE]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Exactly, and I would never bring up a subject about kids, don't have any! But did roast one on a spit last easter, them's good eatin's.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Stretch [/color][/size][/font][/i]

[quote name='rykersdad']We're a very shy couple, and if it was really busy, and no tables to be found, we would just order room service, and stay in our rooms. Do you have to pay for room service?[/QUOTE]

:D :D If you say so ryker but you know, I think dosp might be on to something.:D

As you know in the dining room breakfast is usually open seating and the waiter will take you and seat you at a table. One morning our foursome was seated by the waiter at a table where four people were already seated. I said hello to the person next to me.
In about 3-5 minutes what looked like the head of the family (no men in the group) called a waiter over and had him move them to another table. The waiter was so embarrassed I felt sorry for him. I never did get up enough guts to go and ask why they wanted to move, but I am assuming they wanted to be seated at the window. My friend looked at me and I at him and we began to make sniffing noises of ourselves to see if we were smelling.
I did run into these people later and talked to them in line. I don't think they realized that I was one of the people sitting at that table that they had left the day before. I found out they were from Malta and were very nice to talk to. I never had the guts to ask about the incident, because I think they did not do anything because of us. It sure upset the young waiter.

Stretch,
I am from South Louisiana. There are no strangers on the ship. I don't know all 3200, but they are not strangers. They are members of my cruising ship.
I have bought my portion of this cruise ship for the one or two weeks on this cruise and I am in partnership with them. We are family.

Hello to celtic selke
What part of Louisiana are you from? Ha:)

[quote name='scapel']Stretch,
I am from South Louisiana. There are no strangers on the ship. I don't know all 3200, but they are not strangers. They are members of my cruising ship.
I have bought my portion of this cruise ship for the one or two weeks on this cruise and I am in partnership with them. We are family.

Hello to celtic selke
What part of Louisiana are you from? Ha:)[/QUOTE]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]JR, you and I share the same thought. I never met a stranger on a cruise.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i]

I can't imagine someone refusing to share a table when there is no other available. Unbelievable! It's not like you have to take them on an excursion with you. FTLOG it's only 30 minutes out of your life if that. And after hello, I doubt anyone would chose to stay at your table any longer than necessary. :rolleyes:

[quote name='scapel']Stretch,

Hello to celtic selke
What part of Louisiana are you from? Ha:)[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not that friendly person is a yankee, from Joisey....

Amazing but true!

jc

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Believe it or not that friendly person is a yankee, from Joisey....

Amazing but true!

jc[/QUOTE]

I told my mama that there were other nice people in the world besides the ones from Louisiana.

Archived