Lack of infrastructure could unravel booming cruise industry

Monday, 10 May 2010

The Australian cruising industry yet again experienced double digit growth for its fifth consecutive year; however with the lack of urgent infrastructure development in key ports experts warn the bubble may eventually burst.

Speaking at the 2010 Partnership Summit, , Carnival Australia CEO Ann Sherry described Sydney and Auckland's current port-situation as an infrastrture dilemma which was frustrating and slow moving, saying it was critical to develop facilities to keep pace with the growing cruise market.

The ICCA reported an 11 per cent growth to nearly 367,000 Australians having cruised in 2009, with market penetration also increasing to 1.7 per cent, most of which has been attributed to Carnival Australia's commitment to the region, leading the growth with supply.

"Any discussion of infrastructure ultimately becomes Sydney-centric or Auckland-centric. Sydney and Auckland are both key to the industry's continued expansion and positive customer sentiment. Both cities are cruising hubs for the South Pacific and magnets for visitors for our global brands," Ms Sherry said.

"The brutal truth is that if cruise facilities aren't up to scratch in Sydney and Auckland, the international cruise ships from the global brands won't come to our region"

"That's not just bad news for Sydney and Auckland; it would also be a hammer blow for the smaller interstate ports"

Ms Sherry said discussions were well underway with federal and state governments reminding them the urgent need to invest in appropriate infrastructure, but said the problems also flowed through to the various port authorities causing even further delays due to the fragmentation of decision makers.

Ms Sherry said the biggest challenge was making port authorities and government bodies understand the potential tourism value of upgrading infrastructure for the cruising sector. She also said the industry as a whole lacked proper long term pre-planning capabilities.

"We are running a business that's ambitious for growth, but the pace of it is not a business like pace," Ms Sherry said commenting on her talks with government bodies.

"It's like we're not as ambitious enough in this tourism sector … there aren't enough voices so it is a problem to galvanize the growth and experiences for all sectors."

Source - E Travel Blackboard

""We are running a business that's ambitious for growth, but the pace of it is not a business like pace,""

Given there are no easy solutions, a very strong business case is required more than 'what may be desired', to justify the massive expense and likely dislocation being sought in Sydney. Look how much has been spent - $500million - just on planning and some land resumptions for the Metro which hasn't been completed. The taxpayers of NSW don't have bulging pockets and free waterfront land to spare to facilitate what is being asked for.

To date, conflicts have been rare and only occur at limited times. While it is true that there isn't a lot of capacity at peak times, for anything to change it needs to be strongly justified. I am yet to see anything that shows it is being justified, thus it's unlikely that the situation will change until she stumps up with commitments.

I realise that Ms Ann Sherry has a barrow to push, but I am getting a wee bit tired of her constant barrage on port terminals and facilities.

Go overseas Ann and see what they use at some of their ports.

San Fransico is just a big old shed.

Honolulu is just a big old shed.

Southampton used to be a big old shed.

Granted we need facilities to cope with a turnaround day, and with the growth in the size of ships we are looking at 1 ship turning over up to 6,000 people in one day....

She panicked Brisbane into building a facility at Fishermans Island, and it is great , but being where it is , it will sit empty and unused for probably 345 days of the year.

Big Thank you ..to the tax payers of Queensland

for providing a building we can use for the days call there.

By all means invest in hub ports like Sydney and Auckland, but at the ports of call all that is needed is a wharf to tie up to.

If Ann Sherry is so concerned about facilities in Sydney, why doesn't Carnival do a joint venture with the NSW Govt?She can't expect the taxpayers to foot the bill to pay for facilities that are mostly used by a small group of the community.

Exactly...

Carnival could get together with the Govt....

then they could dredge Double Bay and put in a fabulous facility for all to use.:eek:

Designed properly , it would also be a great asset to the residents of the Eastern Suburbs as well.

Hi David

I am not sure what you meant by these 2 things

What is at Southampton now - have they built a terminal of some kind?

She panicked Brisbane into building a facility at Fishermans Island, and it is great , but being where it is , it will sit empty and unused for probably 345 days of the year.

I know that cruiseships use part of a wharf up near what used to be Fishermans Island - but not aware of anything specific being built there for them?

Unfortunately - for Sydney, there is a FULL sign on the Harbour. Does anybody know the state of design of the so called new facility at White Bay - or why the OPT is not used more?? I suspect that the authorities don't now like using the OPT as it does interferee with the somewhat busy ferry traffic around Circular Quay.

Regards

Barry

Hi David

I know that cruiseships use part of a wharf up near what used to be Fishermans Island - but not aware of anything specific being built there for them?

Regards

Barry

Hey Barry ..............if we are ask nicely David might link us up to the photos he posted on here recently on FI ....even though it is way out of town i thought the facility was great prefer it to the hideous Portside place.........cheers Shiona

Hi David

I am not sure what you meant by these 2 things

What is at Southampton now - have they built a terminal of some kind?

Hi Barry, Have not been there recently, but believe there are are now 4 terminals at Southampton. They have come a long way from the old sheds that the boat train used to pull into.

There is now a very nice facility at Fishermans Island, designed to handle day visits from the large ships that cannot get to Portside.

Hey Barry ..............if we are ask nicely David might link us up to the photos he posted on here recently on FI ....even though it is way out of town i thought the facility was great prefer it to the hideous Portside place.........cheers Shiona

Back here..post no 7

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23624447&highlight=fishermans+island#post23624447

HI David

Yes - thanks for that.

However I am now more confused than ever :D ( that is not a difficult thing to happen)

Those photos appear to me to be a mix from 2 places?? ( but you were there on Diamond??)

There is the grain wharf itself ( where we have seen vessels like Queen Victoria pull up to) - and then there is a facility further down the river with a small building similar to that in your photos ( which is new, as we noted it when on our Tas trip on Pac Dawn in Feb) . Somebody told us it was a new terminal for quickcat to Moreton Island ( or something like that ) - it looked the part for such a thing.

Oh well - we will be on Oriana from "somewhere" up the river later this year, so we will soon see .

Barry

Unfortunately - for Sydney, there is a FULL sign on the Harbour. Does anybody know the state of design of the so called new facility at White Bay - or why the OPT is not used more?? I suspect that the authorities don't now like using the OPT as it does interferee with the somewhat busy ferry traffic around Circular Quay.

OPT is still used - or do you mean just by P&O? If the latter, I believe for two reasons:

1) easier to schedule to use one place rather than sometimes one and sometimes another, when conflicts arise. Thus, easier to have almost dedicated access to Darling Harbour, than have to share OPT with other lines.

2) I believe docking fees are cheaper at Darling Harbour, given its secondary position.

Hi Big M

I was under the impression that other cruiselines used Wharf 8 as well?? - might be wrong :)

Anyway - I guess my point is that OPT seems to be vacant more than it is occupied, so at this time there is no real urgency for additional docking facilities. The new one proposed for White Bay would probably be fine for exclusive use by P & O ( even then it is only one day a week or so at the moment.) The main problem I see there is difficult access to that area.

Barry

Looks like the only ones to go to Darling Harbour are P & O Australia and AUS Princess ships. -- except for some minor exceptions I can see that Volendam will go to Darling Harbour in Feb next year when Arcadia is at OPT.

Barry

Archived