You kids will love Regent

vrhiatt

I often see posts on this board from some of the chronic/constant posters warning sailing parents that their kids will not like Regent, that the kids will have nothing to do, that the kids will be bored. Rest assured, parents, all of that is nonsense, posted by those who hope no children will sail on Regent.

My kids love Regent. They first sailed about 10 years ago, when they were 8 and 10. They are now 18 and 20, they both have Gold status and they refuse to sail on any other cruise line. Our family lives in South Florida, so we have easy access to most cruise lines, and we have tried many. My kids enjoy them all, but they love Regent.

It is true that Regent will not remove your kids from your care during the entire cruise, as many ships will, and that Regent’s Mariner Club does not have the facilities of a larger ship. However, all of the crew members on Regent will treat your kids as valued customers, remembering their preferences on drinks, food and snacks. The social hosts will make sure your kids have fun at bingo, trivia, ping pong and pool golf. The room service staff will spoil them rotten, bringing them almost anything they request, including popcorn for in room movies or chocolate covered strawberries until they cannot eat anymore. The veranda staff will save your regular table at breakfast, have your favorite drinks waiting for you, remember everything your kids like, and take their special orders for spinach omelets or spring rolls. The butler, if you are lucky enough to have one, will accept notes to deliver room service on return from an excursion, having the table made up and waiting.

I don’t make my children get dressed up for dinner, but they wear what I consider decent when they go or they order room service. Since my standard of what is decent on casual nights excludes only t shirts, shorts, and crummy jeans, you may like to know that no one has ever told us we could not sit in the dining room or requested my kids change. Regent is far more relaxed with kids than the guests on this board. For you that are new to Regent, it is not at all stuffy. I have seen adults in shorts and T shirts in the dining room on Caribbean cruises, and I have seen blue jeans on adults in Prime Seven in Alaska.

I don’t expect my kids to be happy sitting in a pool chair all day. We go on lots of excursions, we play lots of board games, we read on our balconies, and watch in room movies. We have enjoyed every moment of every Regent cruise, and we have never been bored.

With all that said, if lots of children running around bothers you, do not go on a cruise where kids sail free, especially in Alaska. Regent can have difficulties dealing with the large number of kids that come on those cruises. For parents, if you want the cruise line to take your kids off your hands for the duration, try a different ship.

A couple of comments to those of you (us) sailing to Alaska (or anywhere else for that matter) this summer. You can be asked to leave dining rooms/lounges if you are wearing shorts or jeans after 6:00 p.m. Many of us have witnessed this -- many have experienced it. The only exception I know of is when a Regent tour returned very late (around 8:30 p.m.) when CR was about to close. Please do not think that people dress in this manner after 6:00 p.m. or you will end up embarassed. It seems that Regent has become even more diligent with their dress codes since the implementation of "Elegant Casual".

There were issues with Regent booking too many children on the Alaska cruises last year. This will not happen during the upcoming Alaska season. Also, kids no longer sail "free" as most of you are aware.

The Mariners Club program has high ratings from families. No one, to my knowledge, has ever said that children should not be on Regent when the Mariner Club is running. It has been said (including by me) that the Navigator is a very small ship, with limited public spaces. . . this should be a consideration when booking a cruise with older children that may not want to take part in Mariners Club as there aren't many/any good hangout places inside on the Navigator.

Note: I'm not saying that the OP wasn't be truthful. . . . he/she just stated things that may have been true in the past, but have since changed.

While bringing the kids may be OK, the animosity from other travelers is frankly not worth it. I crossed Regent off the list a while ago for the Family trips, but still am hoping I can convince the Mrs to sail on our own.

Thanks for the post! We are looking forward to sailing with our daughter. She is 7 and this is her ninth cruise (first Regent though). She can't wait to sink her teeth in a nice rare steak at Prime 7!

Sounds like you are asking for a fight!;)

I will cruise next month with kids from 12-19. We are going shopping this weekend to buy some more appropriate clothes. My almost 13 year old daughter will be thrilled to dress up every night. She is trying to dress up her 14 year old cousin too! (I think she might fail at this).

I am actually the biggest problem other that the above cousin. I hate to dress up.... I have purchased some after dinner casual clothes that fit the "no shorts or jeans" How about capris? white jeans?

How is the dress code enforced after dinner? Don't worry travelcat I won't be a slob, I just want to be comfortable.

Can anyone tell me how the temperature is controlled inside in Alaska? One of the reasons I hate to dress up is that I hate panty hose, and I hate being cold, and I have broad shoulders from years of competitive swimming and dressy jackets are not made for a body like mine.

As far as the common areas of the ship being cold, it depends, but the answer is sometimes yes. I tend to get cold easily, so I bring a shawl with me to dinner to throw over my shoulders if needed.

I personally wouldn't wear capris (unless they were the really dressy kind) or white jeans after 6. But I am a girly girl who likes to dress up. I don't think anyone would say anything if the jeans were with a really cute or dressy top. Now jeans and a sweat shirt would be a whole other thing.

How is the dress code enforced after dinner? Don't worry travelcat I won't be a slob, I just want to be comfortable.

Can anyone tell me how the temperature is controlled inside in Alaska? .

Sorry -- didn't think anyone on Regent was going to be a slob:confused: Just was a bit concerned that the OP (original poster) was stating things that are no longer in effect on Regent. In terms of after dinner, unfortunately, the dress code remains in effect throughout the evening. Elegant Casual is really easy for women. Slacks and a top is fine. Some will dress up more on the nights of the Captain's Reception and Farewell, but, this is not required.

When we dine early in Compass Rose, it is quite chilly. . . . they cool it off because it can really get warm when it's full of people (wonder if that is why it is said that people are full of hot air:-)? It is generally quite comfortable. You have an individual temperature control in your suite.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I hate to dress up.... I have purchased some after dinner casual clothes that fit the "no shorts or jeans" How about capris? white jeans?

One of the reasons I hate to dress up is that I hate panty hose, and I hate being cold, and I have broad shoulders from years of competitive swimming and dressy jackets are not made for a body like mine.

Just wanted to chime in that I'm not sure how the dress code after dinner is enforced, except by peer/social convention... on our Regent cruise last year, I occasionally saw someone dressed down after dinner and it was no problem -- but these were people just grabbing a coffee in the coffee lounge or otherwise passing through the ship, they weren't in the lounges or in the theatre. Everyone in those locations remained "dressed" as prescribed.

As for jackets, I just felt compelled to suggest that you find a jacket that would be good for your shape, buy it in a big enough size to fit your shoulders and have it altered to fit the rest of you. I suggest Nordstrom -- they'll get someone to help you find the items you're looking for in your price range (and comfort level), and they can also do the alterations for you (at least they do at my Nordstrom), and the alterations are no additional charge. They do good work, IMHO.

Also, I do agree with Rachel somewhat -- I wouldn't do capri's unless they were quite dressy, but I will also say that you probably can get away with nice-ish versions of casual-type clothes if they're in great shape and fit you really well, but you should dress them up with more attention to hair/makeup, nice shoes and special-occasion jewelry. (I found that a more casual outfit -- even something as simple as a nice cardigan over a tank with a pair of slacks -- is perfectly acceptable with nice heels or shiny flats and the aforementioned jewelry and polished hair/makeup.)

I think it's important to balance your comfort with dressing in a manner so that the other diners still can feel it's a special occasion (as it is -- vacation! :)). I think a good rule of thumb is to wear what you might wear to an evening wedding or a dinner at your city's fancy restaurant(s), and you'll be fine. In some towns, you might wear a cocktail gown to those events, but I live in Portland, Oregon where you wouldn't. :rolleyes:

Very interesting how the conversation always turns to a discussion about clothes. I wanted to make a positive statement about how Regent treats kids, and how much my kids have loved Regent in their time aboard. They are truly Regent's most loyal customers. I also wanted to assure the parents looking at this board that they do not need to dress their kids up in little suits or tiny prom dresses to be able to go to dinner.

It was this past summer on a b2b in Alaska when I observed several adult diners in Prime 7 wearing jeans over different nights. I have never observed anyone being asked to change for dinner on any night that was not a formal night. Yes, on formal nights, you must get dressed up or you may be seated in an out of view corner of the dining room, or not seated at all, but those nights do not exist in Alaska. I also believe that anyone sailing on Regent has the good sense not to go casual on a formal night. If they don't, well, frankly, I don't really care. It does not change anything for me.

To Alaskabound, white jeans or capris are definitely fine. I saw many, many women in those types of clothes in the main dining room and veranda at dinner last summer. You might want to dress it up a little more for Prime 7. I was very amused by the post advising you where to shop and how to accessorize. I am sure you are fine on your own. I live in an area of the country where people wear shorts to Mortons (I don't) so I admit I have a relaxed attitude about the clothing others wear. What you have on this board is a lot of people that like to dress for dinner, which is fine with me. I am just not sure why they feel their preferences should be imposed on others. Just dress up or down all you want and ignore your fellow diners that don't agree with your decision. Before all you fancy dressers go wild, I think it goes unsaid that no one is saying it is acceptable to be a slob.

About 15 years ago when I was shocked to see a man in a t shirt in a very upscale restaurant in New York, I knew the fancy dress days were over. I guess cruisers are the last to hear.

Very interesting how the conversation always turns to a discussion about clothes. I wanted to make a positive statement about how Regent treats kids, and how much my kids have loved Regent in their time aboard. They are truly Regent's most loyal customers. I also wanted to assure the parents looking at this board that they do not need to dress their kids up in little suits or tiny prom dresses to be able to go to dinner.

It was this past summer on a b2b in Alaska when I observed several adult diners in Prime 7 wearing jeans over different nights. I have never observed anyone being asked to change for dinner on any night that was not a formal night. Yes, on formal nights, you must get dressed up or you may be seated in an out of view corner of the dining room, or not seated at all, but those nights do not exist in Alaska. I also believe that anyone sailing on Regent has the good sense not to go casual on a formal night. If they don't, well, frankly, I don't really care. It does not change anything for me.

To Alaskabound, white jeans or capris are definitely fine. I saw many, many women in those types of clothes in the main dining room and veranda at dinner last summer. You might want to dress it up a little more for Prime 7. I was very amused by the post advising you where to shop and how to accessorize. I am sure you are fine on your own. I live in an area of the country where people wear shorts to Mortons (I don't) so I admit I have a relaxed attitude about the clothing others wear. What you have on this board is a lot of people that like to dress for dinner, which is fine with me. I am just not sure why they feel their preferences should be imposed on others. Just dress up or down all you want and ignore your fellow diners that don't agree with your decision. Before all you fancy dressers go wild, I think it goes unsaid that no one is saying it is acceptable to be a slob.

About 15 years ago when I was shocked to see a man in a t shirt in a very upscale restaurant in New York, I knew the fancy dress days were over. I guess cruisers are the last to hear.

I apologize if I offended you. It's just that I grew up in the UBER-casual (read: oftentimes SLOPPY) Pacific Northwest where almost anything goes. When I started cruising, I found myself feeling extremely underdressed, even when I began cruising the "elegant casual" lines... again, having come from the NW, where "casual" often means "sloppy."...

Therefore, I was just passing on tips I've picked up recently, and which I wish someone would have shared with me. I felt uncomfortable on the cruises where I'd "underdressed," and I was just trying to spare someone else that feeling. I'm not sure why you assume absolutely everyone already knows what is and isn't appropriate (as I'm sure I did not), especially considering people post questions along those lines quite frequently.

If someone feels comfortable dressing well below the level of everyone else around them, more power to them, I wish them all happiness. I put in my 2¢ simply because not everyone is like that -- and presumably the person asking the question about the level of dress is one of those who would feel uncomfortable if they were underdressed compared to others or they wouldn't have asked.

Anyone who wishes to disregard my opinion is free to, as they are also free to disregard yours. But I thought that went without saying.

I also wanted to assure the parents looking at this board that they do not need to dress their kids up in little suits or tiny prom dresses to be able to go to dinner.

I live in an area of the country where people wear shorts to Mortons (I don't) so I admit I have a relaxed attitude about the clothing others wear.

For the record, like you, I come from an area of the country where people wear shorts to Mortons (though I also would not), in actuality, I am also relaxed as to what others wear.... but I don't want to offend with my own casual dress, so I'm working on dressing it up a bit!

I first realized I was used to more casual dress than other parts of the country when I visited Dallas, TX about 15 years ago and saw women in sparkly tops and very nice dresses (and big hair!) out for a regular dinner at a Bar & Grill. In my hometown the average dress for a similar restaurant would be jeans, flipflops and a t-shirt -- for both men & women... :p

And, FWIW, I would urge parents not to dress their children in tiny suits or prom dresses.... it may be my Northwest upbringing or my preference for children to look like children rather than as adult-dressed dolls, but I abhor that particular predilection of some parents. Not that they can't ignore that opinion of mine, as well. :rolleyes:

Back to the subject of the original post if I may...

for those who have sailed with your children/grandchildren, what category cabin did you stay in? Having sailed in HAL suites - we are used to a little more room then a standard cabin. I realize that all cabins are suites on regent but can the standard suite cabins accomodate 4 comfortably? or do you need to bump up to one of their larger suites? How do they sleep 4?

Just want to let you all know that on the final night of the World Cruise all the children are smoking and drinking, running wild through the halls. It's just terrible, I'm going back to Carnival.

Back to the subject of the original post if I may...

for those who have sailed with your children/grandchildren, what category cabin did you stay in? Having sailed in HAL suites - we are used to a little more room then a standard cabin. I realize that all cabins are suites on regent but can the standard suite cabins accomodate 4 comfortably? or do you need to bump up to one of their larger suites? How do they sleep 4?

There are a few suites that accommodate 3 persons. However, in order to accommodate 4, you may need a Voyager Suite/Navigator Suite or a higher category. Some people have squished a couple of children on a small pull out sofa. . . however, IMO, you may as well be on a mass market cruise line. . . . this is not luxury. Note: On the Navigator, the Penthouse Suites are the same size as a standard suite (you just have a butler). On the Voyager, the Penthouse Suites are only 15 sq. ft. larger than the standard suite which is why you need to bump up to at least the level above Penthouse. On the Mariner, however, the Penthouse Suites could probably accommodate 4 people as they are quite large.

In terms of dress for children, no one is looking for suits and prom dresses. Slacks (not jeans) and a button down shirt works well for boys or girls. Of course, a girl could wear a dress (the same type she would wear in school). Just forget about shorts, flip-flops and t-shirts. Hopefully this is not a big deal since you are making the choice to cruise on a luxury ship.

vrhiatt: I respectly must say that your information is out of date (even though you cruised a year ago). Formal nights are history. Don't even think about it. "Kids sail free" is gone -- never to be repeated again. And, last summer's Alaska season was a bit of a mess. Whatever you experienced -- including incorrect dress in Compass Rose -- was not typical. I am only stressing not to wear jeans or shorts to dinner or in the lounges after 6:00 p.m. to avoid embarassment. Most Alaska passengers are new to Regent (which in itself is unusual). Just want to make them feel comfortable on the ship.:o

Two adjoining cabins is the way to go - at least that is how we did it when we cruised with our family on the Navigator. To repeat, our children were dressed respectably for dinner, then changed to go to Camp Mariner or to get together in one of the suites and order dessert and watch a movie.l They were never in the lounges or casino, and were never stopped for being comfortably dressed while in public corridors.

Travelcat - how do you know that "children sail free" is finished forever?

thanks travelcat

maybe as others suggested we are at the poit of 2 adjoining cabins? with a 16 and 14 yr old...I think so! SO we'd pay 1st and 2nd for each cabin without the benefit of the children's discounted pricing I assume?

\

Although I agree that two cabins would be ideal, I would look closely at the price of one of the larger cabins. Not sure what ship you're thinking about, but on Navigator for example, you have to go up to a Navigator suite to get serious room, whereas on Mariner you could probably cope with a Penthouse, and Voyager probably a Seven Seas or Voyager suite.

Just a thought, I'd certainly do the calculation and examine the cabin layouts carefully.

Personally, I think the staterooms would be fine for 4. We were on Disney last month and the room was 304 sq feet including veranda. There were 4 of us in the room. However Disney is made for that and has a bunk that folds down from the ceiling and up out of the way during the day.

I am a frugal person and i am sure my kids would love their own space, but they don't have the thousands of dollars required for their own space so they would have to suffer with us.

When we sail on Regent next month we will have 3 in each room. My son's will stay with their uncle. We have the cheap seats. 500 level on the navigator.

Thanks for everyones opinion.

btw in Michigan we are really casual too. We are close to chicago and their elegant casual is totally different than Michigan's "anything goes" :rolleyes:

Please tell us a bit more. When we left the ship in CPT it had only one family. Where did all of these kids get on? And what ages and numbers are we talking about? I hope that you telephoned Reception and got some relief.

I have been enjoying several WC blogs...and hope that now that it has ended, some non bloggers will share their impressions. It must be a wonderful adventure that transcends what one evaluates on a segment.

Just want to let you all know that on the final night of the World Cruise all the children are smoking and drinking, running wild through the halls. It's just terrible, I'm going back to Carnival.

WC11, you are funny! :D

Please tell us a bit more. When we left the ship in CPT it had only one family. Where did all of these kids get on? And what ages and numbers are we talking about? I hope that you telephoned Reception and got some relief.

I have been enjoying several WC blogs...and hope that now that it has ended, some non bloggers will share their impressions. It must be a wonderful adventure that transcends what one evaluates on a segment.

Seriously, the handful of kids were well behaved. It's been a great experience for all. Being a kid myself I now face doing my own laundry and no more caviar Sundays. No more Smoked Salmon and Mussels for Lunch. And I'll have to pay a fortune for Lobster that good. But at least there is Starbucks. 4 months on a wonderful ship that I called Home that went around the World. What a deal!

Sorry, this just cracked me up!

Seriously though, I just can't imagine anyone not going with the dress code to the point it made a difference. I guess on my last cruise in Feb/March, I didn't notice anyone other than dressed over the code.

Geez, how hard is it to put on a nice set of clothes? These dress code threads just

confound me.

Oops, vrhiatt, this is about kids! My kids love Regent, too, but they are a bit older now, all married, and now it is way too expensive to book several cabins for them and their spouses!

Archived