You kids will love Regent

vrhiatt

60 kids on the Navigator???? How can that possibly NOT affect the experience? Of course, I'm sure these children are all sophisticated world travelers whose parents have taken them to three star Michelin restaurants since they were weaned and who have never cried, run or caused a stir when they didn't get what they wanted when they wanted it. Stepford children perhaps.

LOL, I keep hearing about these children. Unfortunately, mine were/are not "perfect", therefore no Regent for them!

TC2 - Just an aside - no one respects teachers more than I do (2 of my 3 daughters are teachers) - I really don't know anything about Sandals, other than it is adults only. I really never thought about them not having vacations away form children. :cool:

Next week my family and I will sail Vancouver to Seward. My kids 19, 16 and 13 would NOT have chosen Regent if they had been given a choice. But I will let you know when we return if they liked it. If they were younger we would not choose this line. The younger 2 went on a Disney Cruise in April and that was their first cruise. They did not do any of the kid activities, they did try the teen lounge and also found it lame. They did meet some kids and that made it much better for them.

I think they will like Regent, they like good food and the itinerary is awesome. That is why we chose Regent. They have the best itinerary! Couple that will "free excursions" and good food, and good service and we are good to go.

We are not really cruise people. (GASP) We prefer to do independent travel, setting our own schedule and itinerary. But this cruise is for Grandma! And in Alaska, cruising seems to be the way to go.

One thing about children on cruise lines.... They tend to keep the crowd younger, so it is not just seniors. Adds some variety. But that being said, I think toddlers, and elementary aged children would have more fun on Disney or the like. When we were "doing Disney" I talked to my oldest who was at college. I told him I hate children (i was kidding, but they were throwing sand, little rascals) and hate crowds, (disney at spring break=huge mistake) and I forgot how much little kids cry all the time. Here we are at the "happiest place on earth" and there is so much crying!

I love children but the older mine get, the older I like them. So travelcat, I see your point, do you know how many are on the June 15 cruise? Hopefully some girls for my daughter. The boys will be happy together.

One thing about children on cruise lines.... They tend to keep the crowd younger, so it is not just seniors.

You say that like it is a good thing :)

I don't think would be any harm in having a few 30+ cruises, seems to be just fine for the 'Club 18-30' crowd to exclude kids and the over 30's from their preferred holiday environment so I personally don't see a problem in expressing a desire for say a '30+' cruise or two on the schedules.

That said though, as long as the ship is not too small and the numbers not too high a few kids do not spoil my enjoyment, but if you really want to irritate me, just book onto a long-haul International flight in the first-class cabin with a kid under the age of two then act surprised when they cry and fuss the entire flight to the annoyance of all the others in the cabin.

That said though, as long as the ship is not too small and the numbers not too high a few kids do not spoil my enjoyment, but if you really want to irritate me, just book onto a long-haul International flight in the first-class cabin with a kid under the age of two then act surprised when they cry and fuss the entire flight to the annoyance of all the others in the cabin.

That would be awful.... I once had a mom reading Dr Seuss for 3 hours solid in a seat behind me, that was bad enough, when our kids were little and we flew (coach) we would give them a does of benadryl, then they slept the whole way.

That would be awful.... I once had a mom reading Dr Seuss for 3 hours solid in a seat behind me, that was bad enough, when our kids were little and we flew (coach) we would give them a does of benadryl, then they slept the whole way.

ignore.gif

Fine if that works but it is very common for children and elderly as well to have a paradoxical reaction to Benadryl where it makes them hyper instead of sleepy. That would not be fun to have on a plane ride.

I must agree -- that was an inappropriate post. This goes back to a previous question I asked on this thread. . . . why are some parents so angry and defensive? No one (including parents) want to sit on an airplane and have a child kicking their seat the whole time. As long as parents take the time to teach their children how to act in public, use their "inside voice" when appropriate and follow through with discipline (time-outs, etc.), there will be no problem. IMO, it is the parent's responsibility to insure that their little one can act appropriately in a plane, on a cruise ship, or, in a restaurant before imposing bad behavior on others. Unfortunately, some posters believe that their children can behave anyway they wish and the rest of the world should shut up.

In terms of Dr. Seuss, why would anyone, in a public place, want to hear 3 hours of anything being recited -- whether it is a book to a child, or someone with diahrrea of the mouth that just keeps talking? Alaskabound2323, I agree with you completely.

Imo, parents (and grandparents) who take children on Regent or any other luxury line are only trying to please themselves more than their children. They want the luxury experience and will make their kids endure an inappropriate environment for their own selfish sake. If they truly had their childrens' enjoyment at heart they'd be on Disney or Royal Caribbean or Carnival.

I feel compelled to respond to this post and join the angry and defensive parents. You do not know me, you do not know my daughter and you certainly don't know what is best for her. To say that I don't have my daughter's enjoyment at heart and am making her endure an inappropriate environment is absurd. I'm sorry you have such a low opinion of all children. If you kept an open mind, you may be pleasantly surprised occasionally.

My daughter has cruised on Silversea, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, and Regent(4 times). Regent has consistently been her favorite. She is a normal kid that loves good food, dressing up and small crowds. We gave her a choice last cruise between taking a friend and going on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean or going with just us on Regent. She chose Regent and had a wonderful time.

I understand and respect anyone's preference to not have kids on their cruise. When traveling without my daughter I'd rather see no children but we have no problem if they are well behaved. I have no patience with parents that let their children misbehave and ruin the enjoyment of others.

A Regent cruise is not the best choice for all children. It is a wonderful choice for others. Parents need to make an informed decision. We need to consider both the enjoyment of our children and to make sure the other passengers are not negatively impacted. My daughter is no better or worse than other children - Her personality and tastes just fit well with Regent.

I apologize for the rant, but I don't appreciate being accused of selfishly ignoring what is best for my daughter.

I dont get the point about children flying first. They are as entitled to fly first or business or economy as the case maybe once their parents have paid their fare.

I regularly took my daughter business class from at a young age. When she had the propensity to kick the seat in front of her, at the age of four ,I made sure my husband sat in front of us so she would not inconvenience another passenger. I taught her to respect the people around her talk softly etc. Mostly she just slept through the long flights aided by Benadryl. We did a lot of long flights those days.

I was particularly upset last year on ATN when a young couple kept asking the air hostess to talk to parents whose child was crying. This was a young child under the age of 1 and now dont flame me and tell me a child that age shouldnt be travelling!

Archived