Public Beach, Nassau - Good Experience

LSEA

I have a couple of questions about Junkanoo beach- How do you get there from the Straw Market? And since it's a bit rocky- can you see any fish if you snorkel?

Thanks!

You just keep walking past the straw market. It's not too far.

When we were there about 13 years ago or so, we did not have any snorkel equipment, but there are tons of rocks around there and some times hard to walk in places. I plan on bringing some mask this time...just in case.

Here you go. I didnt post the pics because they are on the other camera that i didnt download yet. Here is a video of everyone jumping off the peir thing. as the cameraman zooms around, you will see the sand and beach. at some parts the water looks like it has seaweed but it doesnt. not sure why it looks like that. It was almost crystal clear. Enjoy!

th_cruise2010030.jpg

Thanks so much for posting the video. That looked like a lot of fun. I hope people are there jumping off while we are there. I'm a spectator type of girl when it comes to things like this. :D

I dug out some very old pics from about 10 years ago of us at Junkanoo. This pictures will show just how close it is to where the ships dock. Some great photo opportunities of you and the ship if it's still anything like this.

junkanoo.jpg

Just for the record, I took a walk to Junkanoo beach this weekend and it was in GREAT condition. The only debris was a little bit of seaweed along the shoreline. NO glass, no debris, nothing. There were som rocky areas that you could step over if you have sensitive feet.

Concession stands were open, food and drink vendors, chairs, restroom, music, someone selling fresh fruit. It was really quite nice. (yes, i'm surprised, It's never been on my "it" list.)

I'm sure some mornings (after a party nite on the beach by some locals) you'll find remnants of bottles etc.. but they are cleaning this up quickly and trying to maintain the area.

We are heading there in 3 weeks... So... if I understand correctly. We can take a taxi to the "public beach Paradise Island" with free admission. Can we then take the jitney back . Is the jitney stop near the "main entrance" where we would be dopped off by taxi?

Also... checking out Blackbeards Cay Beach break only. We are wanting to do some of these or at least one...jetskis/bananna boat ride/possible parasail. Need advice on what location would be the best place for these activites? Also does anyone know the price to negotiate for these activites? Thanks so much for great posts on Bahamas!

We are heading there in 3 weeks... So... if I understand correctly. We can take a taxi to the "public beach Paradise Island" with free admission. Can we then take the jitney back . Is the jitney stop near the "main entrance" where we would be dopped off by taxi?

Also... checking out Blackbeards Cay Beach break only. We are wanting to do some of these or at least one...jetskis/bananna boat ride/possible parasail. Need advice on what location would be the best place for these activites? Also does anyone know the price to negotiate for these activites? Thanks so much for great posts on Bahamas!

Jitney's are not allowed on Paradise isalnd, it's a deal the taxi union and Atlantis has cooked up. Taxi's are available to take you back to the ship, or you can walk to the ferry (before 6pm).

Blackbeards Cay have independent jet ski vendors.. not sure of banana boat or parasailing. I haven't seen any.

Cabbage beach has jet ski, (must be 18 with a drivers license), banana boat and parasailing in the area.

Both jetski's and Parasailing run around $60 - $80 depending on time of day, and negotiating skills. Banana boat runs $15pp last I heard.

If we have beach passes at Atlantis- is the massage place far from that?

If you're walking, it's about a 15 minute walk through Atlantis, through the convention center, and down to their location.

Not the end of the world but not next door either.

Regarding restrooms and showers on Cabbage Beach... None that are open to the public. But there's a 'resort' (more like a condo/townhouse place) in front of where the massage folks usually set up. I was able to use the bathroom there and they have an outdoor shower at the front pool. There's also a restaurant and bar at the resort that serves decent food and I heard is one of the nicer bars in the area if you're avoiding Atlantis.

On the stairs leading up to the resort is also a legit drink vendor (Archie's on the Beach) who sells various frozen drinks and beverages if you don't want to buy out of some guy's cooler on the sand.

IIRC, the resort the massage people set up in front of is Sunrise Beach Club: http://www.sunrisebeachclub.com

And it may not be completely kosher but while I was there, I learned to cut through the walkway at the resort (runs down the west side of the resort) down to the beach instead of using the public access - thus avoiding the barrage of sales pitches. Just smile, look like you belong and act American. :D No one ever asked me any questions and the resort guests were very nice. Talked to a few.

PS... It's very easy and cheap (if you negotiate) to catch taxis at Cabbage Beach. Just walk down the sidewalk near where all the taxis are parked and make an offer to someone resting in their taxi or beside it. This is where the taxi drivers often go after doing an Atlantis drop. Doing this will get you an immediate taxi ride back at a reasonable rate w/o being crammed in like sardines and w/o having to wait for other passengers.

- IT Geek

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Scubbagirrl I will be in Nassau the last week in Nov. 2012 and was wondeering if Junkanoo Beach is still free and worth the walk from the Cruise ship?

It is just after the Thanksgiving Holiday so do you think the beach will be in good shape? Thanks

Scubbagirrl I will be in Nassau the last week in Nov. 2012 and was wondeering if Junkanoo Beach is still free and worth the walk from the Cruise ship?

It is just after the Thanksgiving Holiday so do you think the beach will be in good shape? Thanks

We're going to be there a couple of weeks later and I'm wondering the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

There should be no reason that the beach won't be maintained in November, same as it is year round. Staff cleans up the garbage and picks up debris.

Since it's a public beach.. it's not raked and manicured like a hotel beach.. so you'll find seaweed and debris at the shore line if there has been a recent storm.

Same as any other public "free" beach.

Bathrooms and concession stands are clean and maintained year round.

Because it's free, it's sometimes used for nitetime parties on weekend, so there are times when you'll find bottles and whatnot.. but not often.. and it's picked up when maintainence gets there in the morning.

I'd say the only real garbage I see is the crap left behind by cruisers at the end of the day... disgusting.

There should be no reason that the beach won't be maintained in November.

Because it's free, it's sometimes used for nitetime parties on weekend, so there are times when you'll find bottles and whatnot.. but not often.. and it's picked up when maintainence gets there in the morning.

I'd say the only real garbage I see is the crap left behind by cruisers at the end of the day... disgusting.

Thank you scubagirrl for your response about Junkanoo beach. It is a shame how some people have never learned that you leave a place cleaner than you find it. If we all picked up after ourselve the world would be a nicer place. If my mom is up to the walk we will venture down to Junkanoo beach.

• 5 weeks later...
Just for the record, I took a walk to Junkanoo beach this weekend and it was in GREAT condition. The only debris was a little bit of seaweed along the shoreline. NO glass, no debris, nothing. There were som rocky areas that you could step over if you have sensitive feet.

Concession stands were open, food and drink vendors, chairs, restroom, music, someone selling fresh fruit. It was really quite nice. (yes, i'm surprised, It's never been on my "it" list.)

I'm sure some mornings (after a party nite on the beach by some locals) you'll find remnants of bottles etc.. but they are cleaning this up quickly and trying to maintain the area.

once again i've changed my mind on what to do in nassau! good thing i only have 8 days left LOL thanks scubagirrl! i was nervous about the bud light cruises being in port while we are there. this way if it gets too crazy we aren't that far from the ship. perfect :D

Cheap way to get a bit of beach in your day. We had local beers and enjoyed the view. Then walked back to town and had some late lunch. Felt safe and many other cruise ship folks doing the same thing.

thanks for the pics!! some of the previous ones show'ed the cruise ships in the background of the beach, love that!

i've heard alot about the fish fry...is that closeby or in the same area?

Yes you can see the cruise ships off to the right if you are facing the water. It was only our 2 time to Nassau and we walked into the Hilton to check it out and it was totally dead. No one there. It was a bit overcast at first and I think many like us decided not to buy a day pass. So we basically found Junkanoo because I thought I remembered there was a public beach. We went in Senior Frogs and back out & then you basically walk behind it and around. Then we saw a sign for the beach ahead. Did not realize that the Fish Fry was in walking distance from that. Wished we had known....but our first trip we took the Jitney to the fish fry and felt a bit unsafe?? Scubagirl were we imaging that?? Seems that others are enjoying it :confused:

Archived