Transportation help in FLL needed

We are traveling as a group of 16 flying into Fort Lauderdale the night before our cruise. I would like to hear ideas on the best options for us to:

1) get from the airport to our hotel (W Hotel)

2) go from the hotel to Port Everglades

3) go from the port after our cruise to the airport

Normally, I would just cab it since it's usually the two of us. But with 16 people the costs and logistics of taking a cab to go anywhere gets pricey. I have asked the hotel about shuttle services and was advised that there is none. This has me wishing that I booked another hotel but I got the W on priceline so I can't cancel.

I am leaning towards rental cars since it would allow us to go out for dinner the night we arrive and perhaps shop a little. Is priceline the best way to get rental cars? (never tried this) And would they have vans that seat 8? (so I could get 2 of them) Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

We have a group of 6 that goes to FLL every winter for a week of golfing. Since my DH and I are in Ft Lauderdale fairly often, we wind up being in charge of rental accommodation and transportation. Renting a van has been the best option for us but we're a group of 6 not 8. The vehicles we get have all been for a max. of 7 passengers. There are some with a capacity of 8 because we rented one in St. Maarten so I know they're out there. First check the fleet vehicles outlined on the major companies' websites and if you don't see one, call them directly.

Try Thrifty car rental in FLL it's right outside the port gates and if it's a shuttle you want try www.ridesas.com Although you might be better off with a couple of taxi's..for certain trips..Also check on cruiseline transfers post cruise and or possible luggage valet..Remember those Taxi lines can be more than an hour wait to get to FLL airport....

Which Westin is it?

The airport to port is only a couple of miles, the number to call a taxi is 954-888-8888.

Taxi will cost about $15.00

Depends on which hotel - one is on the beach - you may walk out to nice resturants and not need a car until you head to the port.

DGE

We are traveling as a group of 16 flying into Fort Lauderdale the night before our cruise. I would like to hear ideas on the best options for us to:

1) get from the airport to our hotel (W Hotel)

2) go from the hotel to Port Everglades

3) go from the port after our cruise to the airport

Normally, I would just cab it since it's usually the two of us. But with 16 people the costs and logistics of taking a cab to go anywhere gets pricey. I have asked the hotel about shuttle services and was advised that there is none. This has me wishing that I booked another hotel but I got the W on priceline so I can't cancel.

I am leaning towards rental cars since it would allow us to go out for dinner the night we arrive and perhaps shop a little. Is priceline the best way to get rental cars? (never tried this) And would they have vans that seat 8? (so I could get 2 of them) Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You could rent 2 van that holds 12-15 passangers and would have room for your luggage. Here in Massachusetts the cost is $99.00 a day per van. But at that price you might want to take 4 cabs.

Many of the hotels also offer a free shuttle to the airport and the port. We used SAS last time (we had 9 people) and were very happy with their service (had to get to and from Port of Miami)

Which Westin is it?

The airport to port is only a couple of miles, the number to call a taxi is 954-888-8888.

Taxi will cost about $15.00

Depends on which hotel - one is on the beach - you may walk out to nice resturants and not need a car until you head to the port.

DGE

Not sure that it's a Westin. The Hotel is called "W Hotel" (Starwood) http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1522

I think the shuttle options are out. I've looked at a couple of them including SAS and one trip from the airport to our hotel is approx $12-$18 per person. At that rate, it would be better to take a cab. I am hopeful that there are good places for dinner and breakfast within walking distance, that would be ideal.

So far, I have decided to take cabs after our cruise to the airport. I am now only deciding on what to do when we get to Fort Lauderdale. Taxi vs rentals. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, keep them coming.

If you're staying the the W Hotel on the beach, there are lots of cafes within walking distance, not to mention other hotels that have restaurants.

The Ft. Lauderdale water taxi is always fun and inexpensive. Here's a link so you can check it out for yourself. http://www.watertaxi.com/

Gotta question about taxis. I think I have rode in a taxi a couple of times in my lifetime and I was not the one who was paying so sorry if this is a dumb question. But when you ride in a taxi is it a per person charge? I have a family of 5 (2 adults, 11yo, 5yo, and 2yo) staying at the Sheraton Beach Hotel and they do not have a shuttle. Will we be able to ride together in one taxi and when you say it is like $15 from FLL to the hotel or port to FLL is that $15 per person? Like I said sorry if this is a dumb questions I just haven't been in too many taxis but I think that will be our best option.

Gotta question about taxis. I think I have rode in a taxi a couple of times in my lifetime and I was not the one who was paying so sorry if this is a dumb question. But when you ride in a taxi is it a per person charge? I have a family of 5 (2 adults, 11yo, 5yo, and 2yo) staying at the Sheraton Beach Hotel and they do not have a shuttle. Will we be able to ride together in one taxi and when you say it is like $15 from FLL to the hotel or port to FLL is that $15 per person? Like I said sorry if this is a dumb questions I just haven't been in too many taxis but I think that will be our best option.

Taxis typically hold a max. of 4 passengers plus the driver unless you request a van when you call. Normally, but not always the fare is for the cab and everyone in it but this is something that you need to know BEFORE you get in. Always re-confirm your price before you set foot inside the car. If you hear rates for shuttles, as opposed to taxis, the price quoted is normally per person.

BTW - this is the place to ask questions. We've all had to start somewhere. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. ;)

Taxis typically hold a max. of 4 passengers plus the driver unless you request a van when you call. Normally, but not always the fare is for the cab and everyone in it but this is something that you need to know BEFORE you get in. Always re-confirm your price before you set foot inside the car. If you hear rates for shuttles, as opposed to taxis, the price quoted is normally per person.

BTW - this is the place to ask questions. We've all had to start somewhere. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. ;)

Thanks so much. You are too kind. :)

From the hotel to Port Everglades, I would try to schedule a private shuttle; at least your cost will be known. Technically it is about $12 to the port from the airport but we ran into so much traffic that we ended up paying $20 per cab for 2 cabs (5 people, tip included) to get to the port. We sat in traffic as we watched the meter tick away.

From the hotel to Port Everglades, I would try to schedule a private shuttle; at least your cost will be known. Technically it is about $12 to the port from the airport but we ran into so much traffic that we ended up paying $20 per cab for 2 cabs (5 people, tip included) to get to the port. We sat in traffic as we watched the meter tick away.

This is something else you need to think about. Make sure when you take a cab to the airport from the pier you get a set rate...I think the set rate is $20...I have seen people upset by this rate as the meter only showed like $12 or $13...but if you hit traffic or so other issue it can wind up costing you a lot more. Sometime you get lucky and others you don't but I would rather pay a bit more knowing what I am paying then get sticker shock at the end...

We are also staying at the W...I was told there was plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Also a very good restaurant at the hotel...

Archived