Mendenhall Glacier Lake melted already

zelker

Wow! I just checked the web cam from the visitor's center and am blown away how much is melted on the lake compared to this time last year when we were there and it was still almost frozen. Assume this means Juneau has been having way warmer weather already this spring compared to last - and hopefully that translates to a beautiful summer for all of us visiting. :)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/webcam.html

Wow! I just checked the web cam from the visitor's center and am blown away how much is melted on the lake compared to this time last year when we were there and it was still almost frozen. Assume this means Juneau has been having way warmer weather already this spring compared to last - and hopefully that translates to a beautiful summer for all of us visiting. :)

Thx so much for the link. i was there a few years ago in may, but no way was it melted like this!

From your lips to God's ear. Unfortunately I don't think that we can draw any conclusions from the weather that Alaska experienced last winter or even this Spring. Weather, everywhere, is entirely unpredictable and it could just as easily turn colder as it could continue a warm spell. We will be in Alaska in about three weeks time and will see what the conditions are first-hand. We plan to come prepared for the worst and hope for the best.:)

Just back from Alaska yesterday. The lakes at the top of the pass at Skagway were still frozen on 7th of May. The rivers were running and a lot of snow on the mountain and around the train. Skageway was cloudy and turned sunny low 50's. Juneau on 8th was sunny all day and about 60. Icy Point mid 50's with some wind to blow the pollen from the tree.

Global warming :eek:

IMO, the Mendenhall Lake thaw has not so much to do with global warming, but with the periodic effects of El Nino. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and we have seen significantly less rainfall this year, while the Southwest of the U.S. has been hammered with precipitation all year. This is very typical of the Southern Oscillation.

I would be interested to know what an El Nino year may produce in terms of Alaskan summer weather, calving glaciers, etc. Perhaps a native Alaskan can help us understand what we may expect (although, I think every native will always say to expect the unexpected, because AK weather is ridiculously unpredictable regardless of El Nino/La Nina climate effects.)

Happy cruising!

IMO, the Mendenhall Lake thaw has not so much to do with global warming, but with the periodic effects of El Nino. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and we have seen significantly less rainfall this year, while the Southwest of the U.S. has been hammered with precipitation all year. This is very typical of the Southern Oscillation.

I would be interested to know what an El Nino year may produce in terms of Alaskan summer weather, calving glaciers, etc. Perhaps a native Alaskan can help us understand what we may expect (although, I think every native will always say to expect the unexpected, because AK weather is ridiculously unpredictable regardless of El Nino/La Nina climate effects.)

Happy cruising!

See post #4 - he lives in Petersburg, AK and said they had a warm winter. Global warming? El Nino? Who knows?

Archived