That good old coffee thread updated

m steve

Carnival just announced it has a contract w/ a new coffee supplier. Maybe it will also be picked up by Princess. It sure is needed.

Maybe there is hope? Wouldn't it be nice if they changed to coffee that is actually drinkable? But then the coffee card sales would disappear if they did. lol

I have never had a problem with the coffee, but then I drink it anywhere between colored water to standing a spoon in it. I always drink it black. I only use the coffee card for the lattes. My DH is really picky about his coffee even though he loads it with cream and sugar, and he keeps trying different brands. He really liked the coffee on Princess! Go figure? We humans can be a strange lot indeed.....LOL

My wife and I think everyone comes down too hard on the Princess coffee! Our coffee maker at home has seen: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee, tons of Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, Time Horton's, Tortuga, etc., so we know about good coffee! And, I tend to make it extra strong...

There's nothing wrong with the Princess coffee....even the stuff served in the buffet/dining rooms. It's a weaker brew (it's not strong; a waiter told us it was a French roast), but when served with dessert in one of the main dining rooms, it tastes good to us! We normally ask for a 2nd or 3rd cup before we leave the table! :) We've spent 38 days at sea, and while I've read tons of complaints about the coffee on cruisecritic, we never heard a single passenger complain on a ship.

If you haven't been on a Princess cruise....and you read a lot of cruisecritic posts, you are probably convinced that the dining room coffee is the equivalent of a pile of dirt, but that is FAR from the case...

Just my two cents!

I bought the coffee card last cruise and it was heaven picking up a freshly brewed cup-a on my way to breakfast in the mdr. I also discovered how pleasant the cafe area is. Even had lunch there a few times. Their offerings are wonderful. I only got to use 1/2 the specialty coffee spots on the card because the regular brew is unlimited and it was dandy. But I do have to say the Jamaican Blue Mountain was mighty, mighty. Does anyone know if I can redeem the rest of the special coffee spots if I bring along the card on my next voyage? Considering how much more money I could easily throw into a slot machine I'm not complaining about the extra cost. Oh, wait. What am I saying? I won $500. on video poker last cruise. Well, I guess that more than paid for the damn card.

Nothing could possibly be worse than the bilge water they were trying to palm off as coffee on our recent b2b on the Radiance of the Seas. I've heard loads of people complain about Princess' coffee and while it is certainly not the best, it is head and shoulders above the so-called "Seattles Best" served served on the Radiance. As a matter of fact, I can't wait for my next Princess cruise to get the taste of that "stuff" out of my mouth. Sorry for the rant but my point is: be grateful for what you have; it could be a lot worse. I would welcome a new coffee supplier as long as it is not Seattles Worst!:D Bon Voyage!

I bought the coffee card last cruise and it was heaven picking up a freshly brewed cup-a on my way to breakfast in the mdr. I also discovered how pleasant the cafe area is. Even had lunch there a few times. Their offerings are wonderful. I only got to use 1/2 the specialty coffee spots on the card because the regular brew is unlimited and it was dandy. But I do have to say the Jamaican Blue Mountain was mighty, mighty. Does anyone know if I can redeem the rest of the special coffee spots if I bring along the card on my next voyage? Considering how much more money I could easily throw into a slot machine I'm not complaining about the extra cost. Oh, wait. What am I saying? I won $500. on video poker last cruise. Well, I guess that more than paid for the damn card.
Jamacian Blue Mountian is the best coffee I have ever had. I really like the Mavis Banks High mountian. I buy the beans here at home and they are really spendy but as you say it is mighty, mighty, well said. You can use the rest of your coffee card on the nex cruise. Enjoy

And what makes you think that a new supplier means better and not worse coffee?

Chances are they switched to get better pricing.

Optimism. If this is any help, on my first QM2 cruise the lobster tail entree was 1/2 a tail. So when I returned on my 2nd cruise I thought I would be ahead of the game and ordered a double portion. To my surprise and embarrassment I was served 2 enormous whole tails. I explained to my waiter why I had double-ordered. He understood exactly and told me that they had switched suppliers which translated to better quality and more generous quantity. So perhaps it will work for the coffee too. Better pricing may translate to a better quality at the lower price. People need business these days and a huge account like Princess/Carnival would be just the ticket. So perhaps they are bringing in better qualtiy at a lower price. Fingers crossed!

Changing coffee suppliers is one thing.

Changing the liquid coffee extract is quite another.

In several areas on Princess Ships, you do not get coffee. You get a brown liquid that is a mixture of hot water and a liquid coffee extract. This is a cost cutting move that Princess has gotten away with for several years.

It relieves them of the cost of dozens of very pricey coffee brewing machines (and their maintenance) on each ship, and the coffee extract they use is far less expensive than using real coffee.

Some like the taste - others do not.

The United States Public Health Service is very fussy about this liquid extract coffee and the machines that create it. They have approved only one supplier, one product, and one machine model to be used onboard cruise ships. No others are allowed.

I can deal with the Horizon Court liquid extract so I never buy the coffee card. Last week on the Caribbean Princess disembarkation was delayed. While we waited I purchased a cup of regular coffee at the international cafe. To my surprise it was not as good as the coffee in HC. It was very weak like dish water. Maybe by the end of the cruise I just acquired a taste for the liquid extract coffee. I normally only drink one cup during breakfast and a cup during dinner when I am on a cruise, but the beverage service in the buffet was above and beyond anything I have experienced in the past. They just kept refilling my cup.

I can deal with the Horizon Court liquid extract so I never buy the coffee card. Last week on the Caribbean Princess disembarkation was delayed. While we waited I purchased a cup of regular coffee at the international cafe. To my surprise it was not as good as the coffee in HC. It was very weak like dish water. Maybe by the end of the cruise I just acquired a taste for the liquid extract coffee. I normally only drink one cup during breakfast and a cup during dinner when I am on a cruise, but the beverage service in the buffet was above and beyond anything I have experienced in the past. They just kept refilling my cup.

Sorry to hear that, especially since you paid for it. Never had a bad cup from the IC and I had plenty. Not looking for excuses but disembarkation morning things are really not up to speed. Also, because of possible CDC inspections maybe there was extra chlorine in the water supply (sometimes I've showered on the last morning and could smell the chlorine. Thought I was going to step out a platinum blonde, complete with matching cuffs and collars). Regardless if you weren't happy, you could bring it back and see if they make a fresh pot.

As for the better beverage service, perhaps there is a new supplier as someone has reported and the regular coffee is better now? That would be the best news yet.

Those who think that Starbucks or Duncan is good coffee really don't know what good coffee is. The same goes for Jamaican Blue Mountain. All of these are generally stale by the time you get them and good coffee doesn't come from stale beans (Jamaican is the worst offender and you have to wonder about what Wallenford knows about coffee when they recommend refrigerating it!)Beans go stale after about a week. That is why I roast my own beans each week.

If you want the best, get some Kona Joes trellis grown Kona green beans and roast them yourself- incredible!

Cruise ship coffee- the syrup mix is garbage and is not worth drinking. On CCL, the mdr and and pay for coffee stands use Illy coffee which, if you are going to buy preroasted beans, is among the best. If thy switch to a different supplier, I'd assume it is for something cheaper and lower in quality.

I wonder if Princess will allow me to bring my coffee roaster on board and when we stop at a coffee port, I could buy raw beans and then when roasted to "French" I would then plug in my portable grinder, take out the press and get my steward to bring boiling water to my cabin.

I think that Carnival is looking to upgrade the quality of the coffee served and not looking for a cheaper company. The info was on a press release when i looked up the stock on the NY Times web site.

I am not a Starbucks fan or Blue Mountain but just like a strong cup of real brewed coffee.

I wonder if Princess will allow me to bring my coffee roaster on board and when we stop at a coffee port, I could buy raw beans and then when roasted to "French" I would then plug in my portable grinder, take out the press and get my steward to bring boiling water to my cabin.

I think that Carnival is looking to upgrade the quality of the coffee served and not looking for a cheaper company. The info was on a press release when i looked up the stock on the NY Times web site.

I am not a Starbucks fan or Blue Mountain but just like a strong cup of real brewed coffee.

Nope, buying the raw beans still could mean you're getting stale ones (they'll know you're not a local and stick you with the old stuff). You need to hire a donkey, ride up into the hills and pick the beans right off the coffee plants (I just saw Samantha Brown do this in Hawaii on the Travel Channel. Make sure the beans you pick are red and not green). Also, stewards are not responsible for fetching boiling water. You need to dial room service. But the ship's water is over-chlorinated so you probably want to have your own bottled water boiled. You might be able to do this in one of the sickbay sterilizers (it'll be worth the cost of an infirmary vist). If you are going to this much trouble you might as well get it right!

This is just a bit of good-natured ribbing. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. It's only coffee (okay, I know that last remark is crossing the line).

Nope, buying the raw beans still could mean you're getting stale ones (they'll know you're not a local and stick you with the old stuff). You need to hire a donkey, ride up into the hills and pick the beans right off the coffee plants (I just saw Samantha Brown do this in Hawaii on the Travel Channel. Make sure the beans you pick are red and not green). Also, stewards are not responsible for fetching boiling water. You need to dial room service. But the ship's water is over-chlorinated so you probably want to have your own bottled water boiled. You might be able to do this in one of the sickbay sterilizers (it'll be worth the cost of an infirmary vist). If you are going to this much trouble you might as well get it right!

This is just a bit of good-natured ribbing. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. It's only coffee (okay, I know that last remark is crossing the line).

Ok you convinced me no more coffee in the morning. I am switching to Bloody Marys.;)

Can you get decaff beans from the plants up in them there hills? :cool:

Can you get decaff beans from the plants up in them there hills? :cool:

What you do is bring them to the nearest stream, set them down and let the rushing water naturally decaffeinate the beans. However, it does mean there might me some hyperactive tadbpoles.

Archived