Family Ocean View on Celebrity Infinity

darsura

First time poster here, so do not know exactly where to post this question, but here goes: I just booked 2 Concierge cabins on the Infinity to Alaska. I needed 2 cabins because there are 5 of us (my husband, me, and our 3 children, ages 24, 21, and 17. However, I learned that there is 1 Family room available which is very large, with a balcony that is as large as the room, facing the rear of the ship. It is also a thousand dollars cheaper. My question is, would anyone switch for the larger room (not really larger once you factor in 5 people)? The large balcony is enticing, but I am not sure about the aft view. It has been 25 years since my last cruise, so welcome any suggestions.

Yes, it is alot of money, but then I think about 5 people in one room, pulling out the sofa bed, pulling down the murphy bed, and the one bathroom. That being said, we often manage in one hotel room under those circumstances. Just don't want make a mistake on a cruise.

We have taken 4 Celebrity cruises in those cabins. I love the huge corner wrap balcony.

BUT you will be VERY crowded with adult children. There are two couches which make into single beds. There is NO ROOM between the beds when they are made up. You would need a rollaway for the 5th person. You also only have one bathroom, which can be a real drain with 5 people, especially if you have young females. IMHO, stick with the two rooms with two bathrooms.

If I can find the picture of DH laying on one of the couches, I will post it. He is slightly less than 6' tall and his feet are hanging off the end. The "second room" space is about 8 x 8 with a dresser where the TV sits plus two couches and a coffee table. It is NOT large.

If there is a murphy bed, I have missed it on 4 cruises. 5 people, you will get a rollaway over by the door.

I absolutely would save the $1000 and book the Family room - excursions on an Alaskan cruise are very expensive and the $1000 could be better put towards that. With the large balcony, your family will have a lot of space to spread out. Also, some of you can use the shower in the gym/spa area to alleviate the crunch when you are all getting ready at the same time.

You don't pull out the safa bed and pull down the murphy bed yourself. the cabin steward does this when you are at dinner, and he folds everything back up again in the morning when you are at breakfast.

While I dont have firsthand experience, I've read tons of reviews on cruise critic, and an aft cabin is supposed to be highly desireable for Alaska.

Yes, it is alot of money, but then I think about 5 people in one room, pulling out the sofa bed, pulling down the murphy bed, and the one bathroom. That being said, we often manage in one hotel room under those circumstances. Just don't want make a mistake on a cruise.

No way I would sqwish 5 people into one cabin, especially adult children. Only having one bathroom in itself would be a nightmare. I think you answered your own question.

I have stayed in the family room cabin 7201 on the Alaska Infinity cruise with 2 teenagers. On of the sofas folds out into a double bed, the other a single bed. It was perfect for 4 people and the balcony was awesome. However - I don't think I would book it with 3 adult children, as you will only have one bathroom, and the double bed would be tight for 2 adults.

here are some pictures I found when I was researching our cruise:

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=1787

The short couch folds out into a double, the long couch is made up as a single. I found a picture on cruisedeckplans. EM

There may be a picture showing a double sofa bed but with adults, it is almost impossible to use.

We have been in 9197 (twice), 9156 and 8181, all on Infinity. Our friends went with us one time in 9197. They folded out the bed into a "double" (more like a 3/4 bed). It is a loveseat sized sofa that folds out. There was NO room to walk through to the balcony. It is wall to wall bed with the sofa bed folded out. We literally had to crawl over Jan/Tim's feet to get out the door. They were absolutely miserable that first night-the bed was REALLY small for two adults. The rest of the cruise, Tim slept on the couch just as a couch and Jan sleep on a rollaway by the door. Our cabin steward told us quite a few couples book these rooms and then end up sleeping apart because the sofa bed is really a single or for two little kids.

These are great cabins for a couple who enjoys space (exactly why we book them). Great cabins for a family with little kids. NOT great for a family with adult children or two couples.

Here are some pictures someone took. Note the couches, position of the table and TV. When one couch is folded out, it touches the other couch.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/249850457vpuoey#

Have been in those cabins and there's no way I would do it with five adults. They are geared for families with small kids, and not for adult kids. The bathroom alone would be a nightmare.

Archived