Shore Excursions for 3 yr old and 70+ yr olds??

gymbomominNC

We have booked a CruiseTour w/ Princess and will be traveling with our parents who are in their 70's and our 2 children (3yo and 6yo). Are there any excursions anyone can recommend that we can all do together?

Stops include Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Vancouver.

What about for our 3 yo as she is excluded from most excursions due to her age?

TIA for your help :)!

I guess one question is how old is the 3 year old and how young are the 70 year olds? Whale watching in Juneau should be fine for both- although I know nothing about age limits. Ketchican has the duck tour which a 3 year old would probably enjoy especially. I haven't been to Alaska yet so am going on our other travels and similar excursions.

We took our 7 and 3 year olds to your ports of Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. I think the 70 year olds would just enjoy being with the grandchildren, so I recommend designing the day for you and the kids. In Skagway we did the National Park Service Junior Ranger Program and walked around the town, but you might consider renting a minivan and driving to Carcross to see the mushing dogs. In Juneau we went up the Mt. Roberts tram and did a little hiking. In Ketchikan we went to the lumberjack show. We enjoyed all of these activities.

Most three year olds (and six year olds) like animals and music and need to move around a lot, so you'll want to find activities the don't involve sitting still or being confined. You might consider splitting up, one of you with the parents and "adult" excursions, the other with the children (trade days, too).

Native American shows with music and dancing might entertain the kids, and the Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan. Maybe there's a little (free) zoo or wild animal refuge in some of these towns. The kennel visit in Denali (Jeff King) would be fun for the kids, they'll get to hold a puppy, and even during the talk, you and the kids can wander around a bit.

There are certainly free or low cost activities in each town that the kids would enjoy. You should be able to Google that stuff, and you might want to make a list of parks and playgrounds in each town, so the kids can get some good jumping and climbing and running time in every day, since most of the excursions won't interest them, anyway.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip.:)

Most three year olds (and six year olds) like animals and music and need to move around a lot, so you'll want to find activities the don't involve sitting still or being confined. You might consider splitting up, one of you with the parents and "adult" excursions, the other with the children (trade days, too).

Native American shows with music and dancing might entertain the kids, and the Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan. Maybe there's a little (free) zoo or wild animal refuge in some of these towns. The kennel visit in Denali (Jeff King) would be fun for the kids, they'll get to hold a puppy, and even during the talk, you and the kids can wander around a bit.

There are certainly free or low cost activities in each town that the kids would enjoy. You should be able to Google that stuff, and you might want to make a list of parks and playgrounds in each town, so the kids can get some good jumping and climbing and running time in every day, since most of the excursions won't interest them, anyway.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip.:)

Thanks for the responses! RE The Jeff King visit in Denali, is this something I can make reservations for on my own? I do not see it offered as an excursion through PCL. Any tips on how to do that? I think my DD and DS would love that, oh and me too!

Thanks for the responses! RE The Jeff King visit in Denali, is this something I can make reservations for on my own? I do not see it offered as an excursion through PCL. Any tips on how to do that? I think my DD and DS would love that, oh and me too!

Google "Husky Homestead" - that's the name of Jeff's place. They do pick-ups at all the major hotels in the Denali area - so it shouldn't be a problem.

No flames please, but the 3 year old is really not appropriate for Denali Park bus access, and even if you are on the Natural History tour, likely will be too long. I would definately do a trial run on the free Savage River shuttle bus. Not sure if you are informed on what getting into the park is, but the adults likely will be disappointed with anything less than the Tundra Wilderness tour, and actually both kids are too young for it. It is not a zoo and wildlife is usually far off with binoculars required. The tour buses do have a video screen, but again, probably won't offer much to young children. Scenery is the forte.

Talkeetna is a great place to walk around, flightseeing is excellent and it sounds like you are on Celebrity or RCI, which stays right near town.

My wife and I are both in our 70's. We have scheduled gold panning, crab fishing, Salmon fishing and fly-out fly fishing on our cruise starting on July 9. Just me on the fly fishing. We may be old and slow, but we are hanging in there.

No flames please, but the 3 year old is really not appropriate for Denali Park bus access, and even if you are on the Natural History tour, likely will be too long. I would definately do a trial run on the free Savage River shuttle bus. Not sure if you are informed on what getting into the park is, but the adults likely will be disappointed with anything less than the Tundra Wilderness tour, and actually both kids are too young for it. It is not a zoo and wildlife is usually far off with binoculars required. The tour buses do have a video screen, but again, probably won't offer much to young children. Scenery is the forte.

Talkeetna is a great place to walk around, flightseeing is excellent and it sounds like you are on Celebrity or RCI, which stays right near town.

No flames :) I have already read a lot of your posts and ITA that my kiddos would not do well on any of the tours.

I am going to suggest that my in-laws upgrade to the TWT. We are planning on doing the Husky Homestead tour while in Denali but I wanted to at least get some distance into the park the next morning. What about the shuttle buses into the park just may to mile 53? Is that pointless?

We are actually on the Princess Cruise Tour. Had I been able to do some extensive research prior to our booking the trip I would have opted for a DYI land tour but we are "in it to win it" so to speak and I am trying to make the most of what we have been given at this point. So, I appreciate any help anyone can offer!!

My wife and I are both in our 70's. We have scheduled gold panning, crab fishing, Salmon fishing and fly-out fly fishing on our cruise starting on July 9. Just me on the fly fishing. We may be old and slow, but we are hanging in there.

Sounds like you all will have a blast!! Where are you doing your salmon fishing and gold panning??

No flames :) I have already read a lot of your posts and ITA that my kiddos would not do well on any of the tours.

I am going to suggest that my in-laws upgrade to the TWT. We are planning on doing the Husky Homestead tour while in Denali but I wanted to at least get some distance into the park the next morning. What about the shuttle buses into the park just may to mile 53? Is that pointless?

We are actually on the Princess Cruise Tour. Had I been able to do some extensive research prior to our booking the trip I would have opted for a DYI land tour but we are "in it to win it" so to speak and I am trying to make the most of what we have been given at this point. So, I appreciate any help anyone can offer!!

Since you are asking me, I do not recommend going any further than the free shuttle bus to Savage River with the kids. Going to Toklat via shuttle bus is too long- you are still looking at at least 6-7 hours on a bus. By all means, yes this is a fantastic, AND cheap option for the adults. Can the grandparents take the two kids, so all the rest can go?

As for the cruisetour- are all of you on the same booking number?? I would suggest you link this all up, if you aren't. You will want your rooms and train seating all together.

Sounds like you all will have a blast!! Where are you doing your salmon fishing and gold panning??

The gold panning will be out of Skagway and the salmon fishing will be charted out of Ketchikan. The fishing is called "Knudson Cove Salmon fishing" The gold panning will be the one where you pan out of a sluce box. That way we can pan standing up. We are meeting 4 other couples from CA and MO.

I traveled a lot with my kids when they were growing up. They had been to around 15 different countries and 20 different states by the time they were old enough to go to school and we added another 15+ countries and 10 or so states by the time they graduated high school. As toddlers, they were ok with "cultural" things like museums where they could walk around (although there were a few infamous moments, such as the time my oldest walked into the sculpture gallery of a famous European museum, pointed at a famous statue and exclaimed loudly "Look, he's naked and you can see his pee-pee!" or the time my other son walked up to a Titian and said "It's soooo pretty" and touched it, setting off numerous alarms. We don't even discuss the time he shut down the London Underground for about 10 minutes during rush hour.) They were also good with any tours that included lots of walking or things appearing and disappearing, and anything on the water.

They did ok on the shuttle in Denali at 5 and 6 yrs old but were ready to turn around by about Teklanika. They loved the dogs at the kennels and enjoyed hiking around in the front country. One especially good hike for younger (and older) folk is the loop trail at Savage River, which can be accessed by a free shuttle that runs frequently. It starts from the parking lot and follows the river up to where it goes into the canyon, crosses a bridge and continues down the other side of the river back to the road. It's pretty flat and easy walking and there are lots of wildflowers and birds. Also very good chance to see marmot and occasionally Dall sheep. The visitor center and the Murie Science Center (across the street) have excellent displays and show movies. There are numerous ranger talks and some Junior Ranger activities throughout the day at Denali. If you are there for two days, you might be able to arrange a TWT for the grandparents and then they take the kids while you take the last shuttle to Polychrome.

In Skagway, my kids liked the train, although the trip was a little too long for them, exploring the side roads in town such as the Pullen House site (the house was still there when we were there) and the museums, walking around Dyea, and fishing (but we had our own poles). In Juneau, we hiked to the waterfall by Mendenhall and I would have taken them whale watching on one of the small boats if I'd been able to afford it. I didn't take them to Ketchikan, but I've been on the Duck Tour there and it would be fun for little kids. Also the SE AK Discovery Center is great and had a kid's program.

In Anchorage there is the Imaginarium which is just for kids (downtown) and lots of parks and places to play. At McKinley, there's nothing but the lodge, but lots of green space and walking paths. They might enjoy a jet boat tour.

It sounds like you have a great family vacation planned. Enjoy!

OMG Wolfie11, I actually LOLed at the mishaps with your kiddos! We have had some of our own with our kids already! I think will we definiely do the shuttle to Savage River and walk around there a bit. Glad to know there are some things to do once we get there. The kids are going to be stuck on buses, planes, trains so much during this trip that I will jump at any opportunity for them to get out and about and expend some energy. Thanks so much for your response!

Archived