Call it what you will: MUTS, video screens on the pool deck.....

I hate the idea of movie screens on the pool decks. How about you?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. I hate the idea of movie screens on the pool decks. How about you?

• Yes, I agree.
    • No, I disagree.
    • I have no opinion, so I really shouldn't be voting in this poll.

I posted this on another thread so I will copy and paste myself:

I was on Caribbean Princess (the first ship with a huge pool video screen) a couple months after it was launched. It was fine and entertained many people. However, there is a difference between many of RCI's ships and Princess.

Princess has two virtually identical huge pool areas, (plus another pool area in the stern and an adult pool forward near the spa). You can choose between the two huge pool areas - one with MUTS (the video screen) and another one that is somewhat quieter, although still available to families.

The quieter one had a reggae band playing all afternoon, which we preferred to the MUTS. Many of RCI's ships do not have the pool areas separated like that (and still available to all ages, yes, I know about the Solarium).

I would not like to see huge video screens by the pool if there was no other pool area to escape to. I could go to the Solarium but people with children would have no choice.

And yes, I'm still upset about Mariner leaving LA. Cruising during the summer from LA will mean only one thing - Carnival. I guess I will finally have to give it a try.

One side note: In a few days DW and I will be going on Mariner for the first time. Mariner is much bigger than Caribbean Princess yet interestingly enough, carries almost exactly the same number of passengers. I'm looking forward to Mariner spreading out over 3,000 people much better than Princess did.

The next time we sail Princess it will likely be on one of their smaller 'Grand Class' ships that has one fewer deck (of 500 passengers) but is still the same length and width. THAT should be much less crowded. The older ships in that class did not have that extra passenger deck so the pool, theater and other areas that people have complained about should be less impacted.

we attended the drive-in movies.

Sadly, now extinct

Becci, come visit me in West Central PA, we have 3 Drive-In Movie Theatres going strong. Every weekend a new Double Feature that charges $6/adults, $2/kids, Under 5 FREE :D This weekend -- Date Night and Iron Man 2 or Clash of the Titans and Robin Hood ;)

HI! I miss the "Drive in Movie" so I would like to have the nice movie screen. However, I would NOT like the sound to be blasted out into the open air. At my YMCA, they installed TVs with FM sound. It was quiet in the exercise room, but if you wanted to watch TV, they had a radio station that you tuned to to listen to the sound for that TV. Now, if the local Y can do this, why can't the cruise ship do something similar? If you don't want to watch the movie, just don't look. If you want to watch, then please tune a cheap FM radio to this channel. They could sell $3 FM radios with ear buds for people who forgot to bring their own. Plus...wouldn't it be nice to float in a tube and watch your movie??? That would be FUN!!!!

Even if I'm the one enjoying the movie, I wouldn't want it blasted everywhere. Let everyone have peace and those who want to watch the movie watch. :)

HI! I miss the "Drive in Movie" so I would like to have the nice movie screen. However, I would NOT like the sound to be blasted out into the open air. At my YMCA, they installed TVs with FM sound. It was quiet in the exercise room, but if you wanted to watch TV, they had a radio station that you tuned to to listen to the sound for that TV. Now, if the local Y can do this, why can't the cruise ship do something similar? If you don't want to watch the movie, just don't look. If you want to watch, then please tune a cheap FM radio to this channel. They could sell $3 FM radios with ear buds for people who forgot to bring their own. Plus...wouldn't it be nice to float in a tube and watch your movie??? That would be FUN!!!!

Even if I'm the one enjoying the movie, I wouldn't want it blasted everywhere. Let everyone have peace and those who want to watch the movie watch. :)

That's a nice thought but not likely. Princess had it going constantly and it was VERY LOUD!!!! did i mention it was loud????:D

Comparing the experience to going to a Drive-In movie is just disingenuous. Going to watch a movie at a Drive-In was usually the primary purpose of going there (and you only went in the evening when it was dark enough to see the screen), Going to the pool on a cruise ship is not the same. There are several quite legitimate reasons for going to and enjoying the pool that don't include being bombarded with video and sound day and night.

Gees Negc...That was rather a mean word to use:

–adjective lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous; insincere: Her excuse was rather disingenuous.

Thinking about viewing a movie in the sea breeze under the stars did make me think of going to the drive-in. I was totally sincere.

But, since I have not experienced MUTS and if that is truly the case then I agree. I would not like it.

I wouldn't want to be bombarded with RCI's infomercials all day. But on Feb. 28th as we were at our life boat drill on the Liberty I really wished I was on the Carnival ship that was leaving at the same time as us. Why? Because they were showing the Gold Medal hockey game and RC gave us updates but weren't showing it anywhere.

Gees Negc...That was rather a mean word to use:

–adjective lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous; insincere: Her excuse was rather disingenuous.

Thinking about viewing a movie in the sea breeze under the stars did make me think of going to the drive-in. I was totally sincere.

But, since I have not experienced MUTS and if that is truly the case then I agree. I would not like it.

I apologize for my extremely poor choice of words. I was trying to point out that you shouldn't gloss over the differences between going to a drive in to watch a movie in the evening and being bombarded with movies, music videos etc. from early morning until late at night. Some might feel that your response to those who find the video screen and intrusive distraction, that they should simply look away was a less than diplomatic solution to what can be a very real problem.

If RCI limits the use of the screen, and I fear that they won't, to evening programming under the stars, your drive-in movie comparison might be appropriate. If they follow the example of many other lines which have the screens out on deck and employ them nearly all day and all night, many passengers will be rightfully annoyed.

Well, that remark specifically was a sarcastic reference to Searching for Nemo...the fish all said "Swim away, swim away" when danger approached. Thought it would be obvious. Too bad they couldn't do it with headphones so you wouldn't intrude on others.

I'm against the idea for many of the reason stated in this thread:

• noise
  • commercials
  • excuse to not have to entertain
  • etc.

But I've read the posts from people in support of it and they don't seem to match up with what RCCL is planning on doing. A lot of people talk about being excited about watching movies or football games but think of where it is. The screens are going to be mounted on the Viking Crown overlooking the H2O Zone. If you look at that area the deck space is almost entirely shallow water with fun items for the kids. The main seating is a very limited area along the edge by the viking crown where the seats face the water with their backs to the screen. If RCCL is having movies at night there is not much room to sit out and watch and what is there is directly under screen. Most people do not want to sit in the first few rows of a theater so they will need to use the actual H2O splash zone for viewing. Then during the day I doubt RCCL will want to show sports events. There is something creepy about a crowd of old men standing in the middle of the H2O Zone. I think RCCL would be conscious of this idea and would try not to attract other age groups to the area meant for young kids.

From the image RCCL released though, if it is accurate they do not have any large speakers next to the TV. That is what blasts the sound on other ships so hopefully RCCL got smart and will use the existing sound system (with adjustments) to help limit the amount of sound that passes to other areas.

Well, that remark specifically was a sarcastic reference to Searching for Nemo...the fish all said "Swim away, swim away" when danger approached. Thought it would be obvious. Too bad they couldn't do it with headphones so you wouldn't intrude on others.

Missed the allusion. Guess you overestimated our ability to get it.:rolleyes:

I can just imagine that providing viewers with headphones and recovering them at the end of the programs could be a logistical nightmare, not to mention the technical problems of keeping such headphones in good working order.

Archived