Call it what you will: MUTS, video screens on the pool deck.....

I hate the idea of movie screens on the pool decks. How about you?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. I hate the idea of movie screens on the pool decks. How about you?

• Yes, I agree.
    • No, I disagree.
    • I have no opinion, so I really shouldn't be voting in this poll.

As Cruise Director I LOVE the idea of having these. This can enhance so many events and activities plus movie night under the STARS would be great!

Big thumbs up from my end

Carnival drives me crazy with them blaring a cacophony of sound at you at times when you would just really like some quiet time around the pool or be able to talk to fellow cruisers at sail a ways. But during the evening, with the right movie, it can be a very nice experience.

I voted "no opinion" but only because the option I would have voted for was not offered. I think that the concept is a good one if it is done properly. The biggest objection that I had with Princess' MUTS, and probably with whatever Carnival calls its program, was that they began showing programming early in the morning and ran it all day and far into the night. If RCI follows this example, I will definitely not be happy. If, however, they use it sparingly and primarily in the evening hours to show good movies, I think there is a place for it. As with so many things, the Devil is in the Details, and so I will reserve judgement until I have some experience with it or read accounts from those who will have sailed on these ships after the screens are added.:)

I don't like the way Princess operates their Anytime Dining program but have had nothing but good experiences with RCI's My Time Dining, so how things are done can make all the difference.:)

Movies Under The Stars
That was its original meaning. Unfortunately, IMHO, it quickly devolved into Movies Under the Sun And the Stars and the shows ran from early morning until late in the evening, proof that you can have too much of a good thing.:rolleyes:

I voted No, but I certainly would not want to see movies running during the day. The idea of a floating "drive-in movie" does not sound like a bad idea; even romantic. Sometimes the theatre is just to crowded or stuffy. And what could be better than laying under the stars and watching the stars. But let's keep it at night. Good Sailing, Murf

At night, occasionally, it might be nice, depending on the volume of sound.

During the day, would be annoying/intrusive.

Quite frankly, I would find it to be a pain in the ***.

Just my 2 cents...

ANNOYING on the Carnival ships we have been on! When I went out on the pool deck, I wanted to hear the calm sounds of the ocean breeze, not a Beyonce concert (yes, it was blasted on CCL Triumph)

I get annoyed when my kids walk into the house and turn the TV on within 1.2 seconds of getting in the door. And that's how I felt on the Carnival ships with the LCD screens. Everytime I walked out to the pool deck, I was assaulted by the morning news, the music concerts and the WORST, the Carnival INFOMERCIALS! EEK! :eek:

JUST SAY NO to the Drink of the Day INFOMERCIALS and the PORT OF CALL SHOPPING TALKS on the 1,000 ft screens! ACK! :eek:

Well I hope I'm wrong but its a safe bet it will come to that.If Carnival is doing it theres little doubt that RCCL will follow

:cj

I voted "no opinion" but only because the option I would have voted for was not offered. I think that the concept is a good one if it is done properly. The biggest objection that I had with Princess' MUTS, and probably with whatever Carnival calls its program, was that they began showing programming early in the morning and ran it all day and far into the night. If RCI follows this example, I will definitely not be happy. If, however, they use it sparingly and primarily in the evening hours to show good movies, I think there is a place for it. As with so many things, the Devil is in the Details, and so I will reserve judgement until I have some experience with it or read accounts from those who will have sailed on these ships after the screens are added.:)

I don't like the way Princess operates their Anytime Dining program but have had nothing but good experiences with RCI's My Time Dining, so how things are done can make all the difference.:)

I agree with Bill. If RCI does it right then I have no issue with it but hopefully they won't run the tin box from morning till night.

I agree with Bill. If RCI does it right then I have no issue with it but hopefully they won't run the tin box from morning till night.

Exactly ;)

On CCL ships, you head out on the Lido deck to get your morning coffee and you are blasted with their morning news and a spiel about getting to the shopping talk in the theatre :eek:

Movie at night = good

RCI commercials about 1/2 priced t's in the promenade = BAD :p

Exactly ;)

On CCL ships, you head out on the Lido deck to get your morning coffee and you are blasted with their morning news and a spiel about getting to the shopping talk in the theatre :eek:

Movie at night = good

RCI commercials about 1/2 priced t's in the promenade = BAD :p

On the Oasis, the two large screens sat slient most of the time. They did show the two NFL playoff games and a few movies at night. Hopefully this is a good sign.

If you don't like them.....Look away...look away:cool:

Personally, they would remind me of my younger years when we attended the drive-in movies. What fun they were. For those of you who don't remember, we'd pile in the station wagon, back in the slot, pull the speaker inside the car, open the tailgate and settle in on quilts with picnic baskets to watch the movies. I grew up going there. Priced per vehicle, it was the cheapest way to see the movies. Sadly, now extinct, but I'd like MUTS because it would bring me back. You don't have to look do you? If you don't want to participate just do the regular deck activities.

It isn't the movies at night as much as it is the blaring during the day.:eek:

You can tell you are in the vicinity of a Carnival ship..music blaring all day long!!!

The last time we were docked next to a Carnival ship we had to escape from our cabin as we could hear the din through the balcony doors.

It was really maddening.:mad:

We were on the Disney Magic in 2005 when they had just installed the MUTS screen, facing the main pool. The Disney ships have three discreet pool areas, like the RC Freedom class, and the screen faced the main pool. Disney being Disney we never spent any time at the main pool, but parked our selves at the adult pool, where it could not be heard, so it never impacted us.

Where will the screens be installed, facing the H20 pool or the side-by-side main pools? Because wherever the screen will be installed, we won't be in that section.

Disney being Disney, the screen was used for a lot more then movies and infomercials, think Caribbean night, sailaways, etc.

Also note, the plan is for only the Freedom and Liberty, not the UK based Independence.

If you don't like them.....Look away...look away:cool:

Personally, they would remind me of my younger years when we attended the drive-in movies. What fun they were. For those of you who don't remember, we'd pile in the station wagon, back in the slot, pull the speaker inside the car, open the tailgate and settle in on quilts with picnic baskets to watch the movies. I grew up going there. Priced per vehicle, it was the cheapest way to see the movies. Sadly, now extinct, but I'd like MUTS because it would bring me back. You don't have to look do you? If you don't want to participate just do the regular deck activities.

You may not have to look at it, but if the sound is loud it will be difficult if not impossible to relax quietyly by the pool with movies and all sorts of programs being broadcast from morning until night. It can be, if not used sparingly and with restraint, an unpleasant intrusion. Telling someone that they have to forfeit their enjoyment of the pool in order to avoid an unpleasant experience is just going a bit too far, IMHO:rolleyes: Comparing the experience to going to a Drive-In movie is just disingenuous. Going to watch a movie at a Drive-In was usually the primary purpose of going there (and you only went in the evening when it was dark enough to see the screen), Going to the pool on a cruise ship is not the same. There are several quite legitimate reasons for going to and enjoying the pool that don't include being bombarded with video and sound day and night.

We enjoy MUTS on Princess and think it could be a nice addition. Agree with previous posters they are much better at night when the pool deck is little used. During the day I would rather not have movies and soundtracks playing by the pool, but perhaps some graphics, or other video without would be nice...

You are out on the beautiful sea with the most gorgeous view...why would you prefer graphics on an electronic screen instead??? :confused:

I think MUTS is a horrible idea. When we sailed on Princess it was the most annoying, distracting noise when all you wanted to have was peace a quiet at the pool or maybe some steel drum music to relax by. All day long they show something on the big screen from concerts to sports to movies....it is very loud and takes away from the serenity that many of us look forward to when we cruise. The blaring speakers are horribly annoying! :( Thankfully there are other pool areas to lay out and enjoy some peace and quiet! Don't people get enough TV at home???

To all of you who are saying that it would be great at night but hope that RC wouldn't use it during the day the way "other" cruiselines do:

Dream on!

Once those monstrosities are installed, they will be on on on and used to shill shill shill and sell sell sell.

YUCK.

Archived