Buy airfare now?

grandcayman10

I am cruising in October. I found round trip flight from Detroit to Tampa for $204. Should I buy now? I would have to take out almost half my savings which is scary, or can I wait until I have more money saved? Do you think the fares will increase? This is only the second time I have flown and I have no idea how pricing works....:confused:

If the flight times are good, I'd jump on it and close the deal. I would also not second guess myself by going back later to see how I did.

Honestly,,,,$204 pp R/T is a pretty good deal. Then again, that price could already be gone since you took the time to post.

Predicting ticket price is like predicting will the stock market go up or down and is now a good price.

IMHO 204 for RT looks pretty good, tomorrow the last cheap ticket could be sold and could be looking at 400, also tomorrow could be the trigger for a big sale as the route/plane is empty.

Got to ask if 204 represents half your savings I hope you mean have of the budget for the cruise. As if it is really 1/2 of your savings hmmm :confused:

I am cruising in October. I found round trip flight from Detroit to Tampa for $204. Should I buy now? I would have to take out almost half my savings which is scary, or can I wait until I have more money saved? Do you think the fares will increase? This is only the second time I have flown and I have no idea how pricing works....:confused:

See what Bing travel is predicting. If you are not checking any bags and it still exists, buy it. Otherwise Southwest is charging ~$290 to Tampa and 2 bags (each way) are free. Plus if you ever come across anything better in the meantime, you can turn in the Southwest tickets for a credit.

I would have to take out almost half my savings which is scary, or can I wait until I have more money saved?

Don't book it. Don't book the cruise.

If you have $400 in savings you have a lot more to worry about in life than paying over the absolute minimum for your airfare!:(

Don't book it. Don't book the cruise.

If you have $400 in savings you have a lot more to worry about in life than paying over the absolute minimum for your airfare!:(

No Kidding!

$204 is a great deal....you can't drive that route or even hitchhike for that price! The other thing to ask- how much could it possibly drop? Maybe $30 if you're very lucky? On the other hand it's highly likely to go up a lot more that $30 even while you ponder the situation. Nobody can predict fares but many can spot a good deal when they see it.

I realize this is your business (but it was posted on a public forum)....have you totally budgeted the entire trip cost? If $400 is your total "life savings" it seems unwise to use your safety net on leisure activity. There's probably places in your area where you can have a great time for almost free. As you know there are many "hidden" costs above and beyond the basic fare (drinks, automatic tips, shore excursions, etc). Can you have a better time waiting a year and saving up to avoid stressing over using the last of your savings? Just a thought....

The price sounds great BUT a great price does not always mean a great choice for your flights. Are you flying to Tampa a day before your cruise or the day of your cruise? Non-stop flights or connecting flights? If connecting flights where is your connecting airport and how long between connections? Presuming you are flying home the day your ship returns to port so what time does your flight leave Tampa the day you fly home?

Its $204 per person that, plus fees would be $500 or so....I didnt mean I only had $204 in savings!!! I have $1500 but I dont like to fall below $1000 in savings....Dave Ramsey would not like it!! I spend money when its saved up first...no credit cards, no debt...Cruise is paid for, I am just trying to buy things like the air and excursions as I save up for them.

Its $204 per person that, plus fees would be $500 or so....I didnt mean I only had $204 in savings!!! I have $1500 but I dont like to fall below $1000 in savings....Dave Ramsey would not like it!! I spend money when its saved up first...no credit cards, no debt...Cruise is paid for, I am just trying to buy things like the air and excursions as I save up for them.

Even $1500 in savings is well, how can I put this nicely, not a lot....Have seen that Dave Ramsey guy a few times on TV (I don't agree with much of his black and white views but it makes moderately interesting TV) and I don't think he'd like the fact you were going on a cruise with $1500 in savings!

As I said you've got more important things to worry about than paying a few bucks over the odds for airfare but I guess life takes all sorts.

Even $1500 in savings is well, how can I put this nicely, not a lot....Have seen that Dave Ramsey guy a few times on TV (I don't agree with much of his black and white views but it makes moderately interesting TV) and I don't think he'd like the fact you were going on a cruise with $1500 in savings!

As I said you've got more important things to worry about than paying a few bucks over the odds for airfare but I guess life takes all sorts.

I also agree that OP seems to be taking their total savings down to a dangerous level-- what is an emrgency occurs?-- but they've already booked their cruise (the basic cruise may be paid for, but there are always additional costs, which hopefully OP has taken into account), so unless it's reundable, they've made an irrevocable decision. To me, the decision is not whether to buy now or hope fares come down, but whether they want to draw down their savings to below $1000 in order to gt a lower air fare now. Hopefully they have some other income coming in down the road. I'd be real nervous having my savings down that low, even temporarily. Of course, we don't know OP's situation (e.g., what their expenses are and to what degree they are responsible for all of them).

Have you checked flights from Flint? I'm watching fares for Feb 2011 and for that time period the flights out of Flint are about $70 per person cheaper.

As for your financial situation, that is your own business and I don't think you asked for comments regarding it. Obviously you know your own finances and your own situation, and these other posters don't, so go on your trip and have a great time :)

I booked my flight from SA to MIA 2 weeks after I booked my cruise. I booked them in March. I dont go till September. I paid $240 RT and thought it was a price I could live with. It has since went up but has NOT dropped. I would book it as soon as it hit a price you are comfortable with. Waiting too long could cost you more money in the end.

Archived