Can I bring Wine in a Box?

TexasMommy

Can I bring one "wine in a box" as our legal alcohol bring on for use by me and dear husband. I know we can each bring one bottle but this would be much preferred to messing with corks and openers. Plus, would be better for keeping the wine fresh as we have periodic drinks on our balcony.

Thoughts? Experiences? Comments?

I'm starting to think it may not work. I went to http://www.blackboxwines.com which is one of the brands that is supposed to be really good. (Yes, I know Wine in a Box conjures up all kinds of negative sterotypes...but the quality is supposed to be quite good on some brands.)

Anyway...one box is equiv. to 4 bottles of wine. Since my 2 kids won't count towards our wine count....I guess we'll be 2 bottles over.

Maybe...I know I'll get flamed...I'll pack it in suitcase anyway...and if they confiscate it...they confiscate it...I'll get it back at the end of the cruise and enjoy back at home.

Just wondered if anyone had experiences with it.

I've read of many people who do it. I've done it one time, but it's been a few years. But I always bring a lot of alcohol, mostly beer, none of it disguised in rum runners or other such nonsense, and have never had any confiscated. I'm 10 for 10. Like you said, if they catch you, they catch you. You won't be arrested or anything. Also, it is much, MUCH easier to sneak it in at a port of call. So if you do get busted, just buy some at the first port you go to.

I bought those smaller ones at Target and took two of them with me on my April Carnival Destiny cruise. The ones from Target has 4 smaller juice box type and I took two of those so eight of the small ones for me.

When we got out of the cab and while the porter was putting our luggage onto his cart a Carnival representative asked if we had any alcohol and I said yes. She said to take it out and as I am allowed to bring it on as carry-on, I showed her my two and she said take it as carry-on.

I went in mid April if anyone is wondering if I went during high spring break time or not.

Score on the Target idea. :) I googled it first and they got great reviews beating several traditional bottled wines. Last night went to target and got the chessy "Wine in a Box" that was the 2 bottle equiv. Yeah. No worries about broken glass now too. Balcony here we come. And we're legal with the alcohol rules.

Thanks!

I was just on the Fascination on 5-15 and took a box of wine. Nobody batted an eyelash--no questions asked. I had it in a carry on. As a matter of fact, I had a 12 pk. of water, too, in the same carry on. And, I was quite the sight. With all the talk about water not being allowed in suitcases, I had a huge rolling duffle....they werent sure it would fit through the scanners for carryons. It did, they put it through a special scanner. So I was not discreet at all. But, not one person asked me not one question at all what I had in that big bag. I had the 12 pak of water, the box of wine, mine and my husband's actual carry on luggage with toiletries, cameras, etc., and extra shoes thrown in since it was so big. It was kinda great for the return trip, cause we packed all our dirty laundry in it and other stuff and put it through with the luggage the night before debarkation. So easy. It was just so heavy--DH had to drag that baby up to the Lido deck, but once it was parked, it just sat there with us till the rooms were ready at 1:30pm. JAX was so easy this cruise. No lines, no questions, no hassles. And yes, box wine is allowed.

I've read of many people who do it. I've done it one time, but it's been a few years. But I always bring a lot of alcohol, mostly beer, none of it disguised in rum runners or other such nonsense, and have never had any confiscated. I'm 10 for 10. Like you said, if they catch you, they catch you. You won't be arrested or anything. Also, it is much, MUCH easier to sneak it in at a port of call. So if you do get busted, just buy some at the first port you go to.

Wouldn't the scanner pick up any booze you try to bring back aboard at your first port?

I'm starting to think it may not work. I went to http://www.blackboxwines.com which is one of the brands that is supposed to be really good. (Yes, I know Wine in a Box conjures up all kinds of negative sterotypes...but the quality is supposed to be quite good on some brands.)

Anyway...one box is equiv. to 4 bottles of wine. Since my 2 kids won't count towards our wine count....I guess we'll be 2 bottles over.

Maybe...I know I'll get flamed...I'll pack it in suitcase anyway...and if they confiscate it...they confiscate it...I'll get it back at the end of the cruise and enjoy back at home.

Just wondered if anyone had experiences with it.

I brought in a good box wine. But, I took it out of the box and put the "bladder" in a 2 gal. ziploc in the center of my suitcase. It made it. I figured, heck...if it's confiscated...so what! We still drank drinks of the day and a bloody mary each morning....I understand that they have to make money from the bar drinks....but, NO more $500 bar tabs for us. When we're on a cruise...we really cruise!

Good to hear another positive on the Target Wine. This will be my first experience with Wine in a Box. Trying not to be a wine snob..as this really will work out better for travel and for the room.

Now to figure out if we're calling BV and ordering a bottle of rum not that THAT controvosy is over. Thinking a bottle of Appleton would be nice.

We mostly sail on Disney and they let you bring alcohol on board. This whole smuggling vs BV thing is new to me. We sailed Carnival last summer. I'm pretty sure DH brought a bottle of rum on board not knowing about the Carnival rules. Last summer is already a distant memory ...but seems like I remember enjoying some "homemade" rum and coke libations...other than that we did purchase several DODs.

this will probably open a whole new can of worms...but I've brought a box of wine on before no problem.

We usually carried a glass to dinner with us. Left the the glasses there and although we never once asked when we returned from dinner we always had 2 brand new wine glasses sitting beside our box of red wine:D yup he got a big extra tip.

I once took a box of wine and removed the bladder, folded the box flat and packed it along with a glue stick. Then I put the bladder inside a thick pillow cover - I forget the name of it but it goes over pillows. It folded twice around the bladder and then I safety pinned the thing shut. Looked and felt just like a pillow but a tad heavier ;).

I once took a box of wine and removed the bladder, folded the box flat and packed it along with a glue stick. Then I put the bladder inside a thick pillow cover - I forget the name of it but it goes over pillows. It folded twice around the bladder and then I safety pinned the thing shut. Looked and felt just like a pillow but a tad heavier ;).

Oh.........need more info on this pillow.....can cut and paste some sort of internet image?

A couple years ago, we met two girls who had brought a box of wine on for their two bottles (in their carry-on, in the proper manner). They told us the person checking them through kind of rolled his eyes and gave them a slightly difficult time; however, he did not confiscate it. So, I guess it would probably depend how agreeable the person is at the check point when you go through.

Just wanted to chime in that the Target box wine is really good. I definitely plan on bringing it on board as my allowed wine. :)

Actually, boxed wines have gained in popularity. Great idea, and it stays very fresh. The one from Target is very good and also Binnie's (if you have them in your area) has a great selection of boxed wines.

You will have no problem taking on boxed wine. We took 4 boxes on through our carry on luggage through Port Canaveral and no body even looked twice.

The security folks (human robots) that are scanning your luggage are not TSA. They are poorly trained and told to get passengers through the lines as quickly as possible.

Archived