Little Venice in Mykonos

Lil' Baba

I've heard that Little Venice (Aleukantras) on Mykonos should not be missed. I'm planning on having lunch there after our shore excursion .

Does anyone know how far Little Venice is from the tender 'drop off' area? Can it be done on foot ? Any restaurants to suggest ?

Lil' Baba

My family and I went to Delos in the morning via a shore excursion, were dropped off at the (Princess) cruise ship afterward, ate lunch on board, then grabbed a shuttle into town. I wouldn't walk to Little Venice from the cruise ship. There were long lines waiting to take the bus/shuttle back to the cruise ship, so give yourself plenty of time. I can't remember if this was a shuttle/bus provided by Princess or if this was for all the cruise lines so you might want to check into that.

Mykonos was one of my favorite ports :)

Have fun!!!

It sounds like the OP is being tendered into town......not docked at the new dock and shuttled in......

If you are tendered into the harbor area of the town then the whole area is VERY easily walked. The windmills, Little Venice and the whole town area is not that big or spread out. We walked from the shuttle drop off (we docked at the new dock) which is on the complete opposite side of town from the windmills and walked all along the water to them. Then worked our way back.

Not sure why someone would post that Little Venice area is "not to be missed" I wasnt that impressed with that small area. Mainly a line of buildings built right on the water and nothing spectacular imo.

Walking the small "streets" of Mykonos was interesting tho. Shops etc.

My family and I went to Delos in the morning via a shore excursion, were dropped off at the (Princess) cruise ship afterward, ate lunch on board, then grabbed a shuttle into town. I wouldn't walk to Little Venice from the cruise ship. There were long lines waiting to take the bus/shuttle back to the cruise ship, so give yourself plenty of time. I can't remember if this was a shuttle/bus provided by Princess or if this was for all the cruise lines so you might want to check into that.

Mykonos was one of my favorite ports :)

Have fun!!!

How long did you have in Mykonos? We would like to do the shore excursion to Delos and also see Mykonos but are only there 7:00am-2:00pm. The Princess shore excursion to Delos is 8:00-11:30. Any suggestions on which one to do? Thanks

How long did you have in Mykonos? We would like to do the shore excursion to Delos and also see Mykonos but are only there 7:00am-2:00pm. The Princess shore excursion to Delos is 8:00-11:30. Any suggestions on which one to do? Thanks

I did a double take at my reservations after reading your post. Our sailing in June is listed as 1am to 6PM in Mykonos and is docked in the new port area. We planned on town in the morning and beach in the afternoon...

sltb47: It depends on what you'd enjoy more. I enjoyed walking the city, with the whitewashed buildings, but from an archaelogical standpoint, if I had to pick between the two, I'd pick Delos. But it largely depends on what interests you the most.

• 3 weeks later...
I did a double take at my reservations after reading your post. Our sailing in June is listed as 1am to 6PM in Mykonos and is docked in the new port area. We planned on town in the morning and beach in the afternoon...

I'v also just done a double take at res. thought we only had half a day! glad I read yr. message.

Not sure why someone would post that Little Venice area is "not to be missed" I wasnt that impressed with that small area. Mainly a line of buildings built right on the water and nothing spectacular imo. Walking the small "streets" of Mykonos was interesting tho. Shops etc.

Agree that Little Venice might not be the "must see" place where should eat. Nothing wrong with it. Just lots of other options there. Here are a few of my picture examples to illustrate that area versus a few other options in Mykonos. Things are fairly compact in and around the main part of this charming coastal village.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

A few of buildings known as “Little Venice” that overlooks the water in Mykonos:

MykonVenBeach.jpg

Mykonos’ market and outside dining area overlooking the harbor:

MikMarket.jpg

The famed four windmills overlooking Mykonos:

Mik4WindMill.jpg

A Mykonos church with a dining area in front of this building:

MikChurDining.jpg

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

I am sorry, but what is wrong with that? I got the impression you did not like that. You will have lots of time if you get up at 4:00 am, walk into town, etc and walk back around 5:00 pm (or 1700 local time). That would give you more than 12 hours to explore and get sunburned at the beach. (sorry, I meant 'suntanned').

Be sure to see the pink pelicans and the lady delivering produce to the restaurants with her donkey. It is interesting and a great rememberance of Mykonos.

We will be there in September. I can't wait after seeing your photos. I love, love the shot of the windmills. I'll bet it is hard to get a shot without people in it.

I have read that Delos is great, but I have also read that the trip is usually rough and many people get sea sick. That would be me. Does anyone know if it is always rough and if it worth the chance.

We will be there in September. I can't wait after seeing your photos. I love, love the shot of the windmills. I'll bet it is hard to get a shot without people in it.

I have read that Delos is great, but I have also read that the trip is usually rough and many people get sea sick. That would be me. Does anyone know if it is always rough and if it worth the chance.

Calm seas on our visit to Delos two weeks ago, Delos is not to be missed.

2682169900079335670S600x600Q85.jpg

2504269000079335670S600x600Q85.jpg

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Here's another, long windmill shot and two examples where having people in the shot makes a huge difference showing the human flavor in this charming town. It's not all tourists shopping in Mykonos. Plus, a bonus harbor/windmill shot. Are you more excited about going to Mykonos? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

A longer shot of Mykonos’ four windmills and the village rooftops:

MikWindMills2.jpg

Ladies departing a church service in main Mykonos on a Sunday:

1A-Mykonos-ChurchLadies.jpg

At the fish docks in Mykonos:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

A longer shot of Mykonos’ four windmills and the village rooftops:

Terry - me thinks I count 5 windmills (complete) and 1 partial...... ;)

Great eye and excellent counting!!! I hadn't noticed that previously. Will correct. You got a super BARGAIN! I was promising four windmills, but delivering five, at no extra cost. I assume the other partial one was probably operating at one time, but fell into dis-repair. Last night on cable TV, we saw The Bourne Identity movie. The final shot of this 2002 movie with Matt Damon was shot at this location showing Mykonos in the background, these windmills, etc. Cool and impressive visuals that brings back nice memories from when we were there.

TLCOhio More beautiful photos. Thanks. I am truly excited about this port. As far as Delos goes I might just wait until I get there to see what the weather is like and how rough the seas are. I hate to miss anything but I already know from all the posts that I will have to make choices. Just hope I have enough information to make the right choices for me and my DH.

TLCOhio More beautiful photos. Thanks. I am truly excited about this port. As far as Delos goes I might just wait until I get there to see what the weather is like and how rough the seas are. I hate to miss anything but I already know from all the posts that I will have to make choices. Just hope I have enough information to make the right choices for me and my DH.

You're right and smart to factor in the weather for what you want to do when arriving at Mykonos. Here's another factors to consider. AFTER your earlier stops, you might be "burned out" on old historic sites and sights. OR, you might be excited to see more and more. There's lots of great history in and around Greece. Some people have different levels of interest for these types of things. I love history, but I'm not as big of a "super fan" as Cynthia. You need to consider how much of that you want to see versus other options. Being smart and considering weather, etc., would be wise. You can't see "everything" and need to balance what fits your needs and interests. Good luck!

If you are going to miss anything at Mykonos, miss town, not Delos, IMO it is the best preserved and most extensive archeological site in the area, surpassing even Ephesus.

There are literally two sides to Little Venice in Mykonos town. if you look at this map, it's the area between the word 'Alefkantara', and the ship symbols in the port. The area by the port (the northern side in fact) is where the main outdoor restaurants are - they have frontages with covered seating areas, and you can eat there. The area facing Alefkantara (the south-western side) is where the buildings rise straight out of the sea. If you walk along Agios Anargiron you'll find Katerina's Bar. Go in there, and if you're lucky the terrace, overlooking and indeed right over the sea, might be empty. Sit there and have a drink. Enjoy. Repeat as required....

Archived