Medications...

srmsmg5

Haven't sailed in 5 years. My husband has multiple meds (all pills) he takes daily. I usually set them up in a weekly container. Does anyone know if that is ok for airline/cruise line, or do they have to be in their original bottles?

Thanks!

Haven't sailed in 5 years. My husband has multiple meds (all pills) he takes daily. I usually set them up in a weekly container. Does anyone know if that is ok for airline/cruise line, or do they have to be in their original bottles?

Thanks!

I do not know about airlines..but have always used the "weekly containers" for our cruises..no problem...(I also bring a list of meds-which is part of medical history I bring ...good thing to have when traveling!!!)

Thanks!

Original bottles might be a good thing for you, but we have always transferred them to the weekly container. The last cruise, however, I found tiny zip lock bags meant specifically for meds. Each one was labeled with it's contents and they were much easier to pack. Wish I'd have thought of that idea and collecting royalties. ;)

Thanks!

anytime I travel I use the weekly container with the paperwork that came with each prescription wrapped around the container with a rubber band. Then there's no question that the meds are mine if I run into an overzealous cop, TSA or customs agent.

I usually carry my weekly pillminder onto the plane with me. However, I do take the paperwork that comes from my drug store with the pills with me, to prove they're doctor-prescribed (I only take two).

The one thing I was worried about is that I take OTC fish oil gelcaps (by doctor request). They're liquid/gel, and since I take three a day, I know that a week's worth is more than three ounces (TSA limit for carryons). But nothing at all has been said all the times I've done it. So, I would say, take the weekly pillminder. And take the list that jaja suggested.

--Michael

DH has a lot of daily meds and has separate container for morning/noon/evening. I take the little prescription slips and staple them to a piece of paper to take up less space then take a copy of them to bring along. I also take a copy of mine but I only have a couple which I put in the little pill ziplocks. I also made an excel list of what we take, dosage, and reason and keep it small enough to have us both carry one in our wallets in case of emergency. I would never remember all of what he takes.:eek: But I keep these in our wallets even when not traveling.

Thanks!

We do the same, combine them all into one container. We have never had a problem with the airline or cruise line.

Nita

Thanks so much for all of the replies. It is amazing how we used to travel with tons of clothes and some Motrin just in case. Now we don't want the hassle of too many clothes, and have to make room for multiple meds! How did that happen?:confused:

Thanks so much for all of the replies. It is amazing how we used to travel with tons of clothes and some Motrin just in case. Now we don't want the hassle of too many clothes, and have to make room for multiple meds! How did that happen?:confused:

WE are the people we used to call OLD.

Everytime we travel (Ma ad Dad are on about 40 daily meds all together) we always just take the weekly containers, tape em shut and be sure to pack them i your carry-on, this is a BIGGIE!

We also take along a printed out med list from both my prents PCP since the meds are not in there original bottles, which legally they are supposed to be.

Thats why the med list. Chances are you'll never get stopped for it, but stranger things have happened :p. For some reason, no matter what island we go to i am always the one that customs pulls aside every time i get back on the ship and goes through my bag. i must fit some description or something ;-)

Happy Crusing!

We do the same, combine them all into one container. We have never had a problem with the airline or cruise line.

Nita

usually i travel with my 3 original bottles but this last time i put them all in one...i probably will do that again then too bring my papers with the rx..i always travel with more than enough...they travel with me in my personal carry-on.

people will tell you all day they do the weekly and never have a problem.

BUT - if you run into a medical problem, the first thing they want to know is EXACTLY what each medication is. NOT what you think you remember. Take the original bottles. How difficult is that? At least a copy.

And, as said, some TSA or Customers or whoever might get a hair up their ..... and give you a hard time.

Way to easy to be safe.

BUT - if you run into a medical problem, the first thing they want to know is EXACTLY what each medication is. NOT what you think you remember. Take the original bottles. How difficult is that? At least a copy.

That's why I take a list of prescriptions/dosage/reasons on a small list that is in both our wallets. Oh I also have our doctor's names

and numbers listed especially my DH's heart and other specialty drs.

I have traveled quite a bit on planes AND twice now on a cruise. Have NEVER had ANYONE check medications. I have pill bottles, and pill boxes. Not one time has it been checked.

It only takes one time for a law enforcement officer to find a prescrition drug on you without proper documentation that it belongs to you to be charged with a crime. Sure it's unlikely, but why take the chance?

WE are the people we used to call OLD.

:p So true, so very true.

Or (perhaps "and" for some) we developed permanent medical conditions that have changed our lives drastically, but that we refuse--absolutely refuse--to allow to take everything from us...so we travel when and how we can, even though it means dragging many bottles of stupid prescription medication and other medical supplies.:D

beachchick

Thanks!

I have to take several meds a day. Never had a problem flying

with them and I put mine in daily/weekly pill cases.

If you have printouts or labels for the meds take it with you.

I get mine over the internet, so I'll take a printed list.

It shouldnt be an issue.

I usually carry my weekly pillminder onto the plane with me. However, I do take the paperwork that comes from my drug store with the pills with me, to prove they're doctor-prescribed (I only take two).

The one thing I was worried about is that I take OTC fish oil gelcaps (by doctor request). They're liquid/gel, and since I take three a day, I know that a week's worth is more than three ounces (TSA limit for carryons). But nothing at all has been said all the times I've done it. So, I would say, take the weekly pillminder. And take the list that jaja suggested.

--Michael

The fish oil could be a problem I had not thought about.

I take two a day myself.

One might want to transfer those into checked luggage

in the orginial bottle, just to be sure.

I'm also taking two power strips and extension cords,

I hope those arent a problem in my carry on.

It only takes one time for a law enforcement officer to find a prescrition drug on you without proper documentation that it belongs to you to be charged with a crime. Sure it's unlikely, but why take the chance?

Why would someone be charged with a crime for having prescription medications with them? :confused:It's not a crack pipe, or crystal meth, after all :p I think they're a bit busy looking for other things...possibly things to blow up planes with IMHO.

Wait a minute. I just remembered something. I WAS pulled aside once. They went through my purse. They took out the batteries and disposed of them.I had a prescription med in my purse, they didn't even blink at it.

Thanks!

You could bring the printout you get when you renew the prescription that gives details of the medication including what the pill looks like. I usually take the bottles of pills and then transfer to the weekly holder when we get on board. Enjoy your cruise!

Why would someone be charged with a crime for having prescription medications with them? :confused:It's not a crack pipe, or crystal meth, after all :p I think they're a bit busy looking for other things...possibly things to blow up planes with IMHO.

Wait a minute. I just remembered something. I WAS pulled aside once. They went through my purse. They took out the batteries and disposed of them.I had a prescription med in my purse, they didn't even blink at it.

Because if you don't have proof it's your prescription it IS a crime. Say you've got hydros, oxys, or morphine without proof their yours. You don't think that's as bad as a crack pipe or crystal meth? Like I said all it takes is one overzealous inspector to make life very difficult if you can't prove the meds are yours. Why chance it when it's so simple to avoid this situation.

We actually DID have my daughter's prescription taken from us once at an international airport.. It was in it's original container, with the prescription attached, but the spelling of her name was different (she went through a name change at a young age). We did appeal to a manager and they rescinded, giving it back when she showed her school ID with the same name spelling as the scrip. Just so you know, it CAN happen... (There have been other times when they matched scrips with our names - yes we fly a lot...)

We travel with the original containers when we can (at least for the most important meds). Otherwise, we place them in smaller containers and have paperwork printed from our pharmacy listing all the scrip information. If you get large containers of pills delivered, you can always request a smaller container from the pharmacy/mail order with the scrip on it - we do this every time we have a new scrip filled and I always have a supply of pills in my carry-on (7-14 days worth). We also travel with injectable meds.

As far as over-the-counter meds (advil, tylenol, vitamins, etc) I try to purchase the name-brands once in a while because they are printed with the brand name or logo right on them - I use them exclusively for my carry-on bottle. This makes it easier to identify them in a mixed pill bottle - and yes, we have had this bottle checked as well.. The liqui-gels maybe should be considered a "gel" for the liquid carry-on rules, but we have never had an issue with this.. Of course, we don't carry more than 20-30 total, so I don't really know about large quantities.. I have had the TSA confiscate the strangest things over the years!

Robin

Archived