Bon Voyage World Cruisers 2010 ( thats better )

Gaznjo

how cool was all that.... just a really bad time of day for us...

joanne who during all of that ... prepared dinner ... ate dinner.... and watched parramatta score their first try .... go eels... LOL

how cool was all that.... just a really bad time of day for us...

More bad timing for the forum….

joanne who during all of that ... prepared dinner ... ate dinner.... and watched parramatta score their first try .... go eels... LOL

Well Done :)

Missed your great following of the ship into Boston, as I had a night out.

From Phillip's blog -

Boston was a real blast! Just a shame that we didn’t have very long there, as it was all on board by 3.30pm. US Immigration took ages to get through, and I’m sure they just throw the pieces of paper away at the end of the day. However, if you want to do the cruise thing, then you just have to jump through the hoops at the various borders…

After missing Dublin, why oh why would it be all on board by 3.30pm? Such a shame, as Boston has so much to see. Was such a short port visit scheduled originally?

After missing Dublin, why oh why would it be all on board by 3.30pm? Such a shame, as Boston has so much to see. Was such a short port visit scheduled originally?

Yes.

Fri 23/07/10 Boston / USA 07:00 16:00

Wonder if there is anything to the rumour that they missed Dublin in order to get into Boston on time, as they could not go fast enough across the Atlantic?

If that is so ,what other ports will they miss from here on?

David

The more I follow DP's WC, the more I am certain that 104 days non-stop would not be for me. There seems to be a certain tiring "inexorable-ness" (just made that word up) about it all. The shore stops are short enough as it is - and any problem that pops up along the way seems to have a follow on consequence to it - because the journey has been planned out with no "spare space" anywhere in the schedule. We even see this here in Oz - where the weekly cruises running out of Sydney/Brisbane are so closely planned to run into one another that a problem in one cruise leads to a consequent problem for the next. Realistically, I can understand why this is done - but for a WC requiring such a large amount of money for a ticket - I can see the problem as it potentially affects us personally . I guess though that these cruises really are all about the ship and the cruise - the ports are just "extras" that we probably have to consider as somewhat potentially expendable.

Barry

Yes.

Fri 23/07/10 Boston / USA 07:00 16:00

Wonder if there is anything to the rumour that they missed Dublin in order to get into Boston on time, as they could not go fast enough across the Atlantic?

If that is so ,what other ports will they miss from here on?

I wonder what time they actually got off the ship?

Short times in port are a real turnoff for me. Our last MSC TA was only in Barcelona until 1.00 pm. If I hadn't visited before, I wouldn't have booked that cruise for that reason alone.

I don't like this modern trend to shorter port visits.

David

The more I follow DP's WC, the more I am certain that 104 days non-stop would not be for me. There seems to be a certain tiring "inexorable-ness" (just made that word up) about it all. The shore stops are short enough as it is - and any problem that pops up along the way seems to have a follow on consequence to it - because the journey has been planned out with no "spare space" anywhere in the schedule. We even see this here in Oz - where the weekly cruises running out of Sydney/Brisbane are so closely planned to run into one another that a problem in one cruise leads to a consequent problem for the next. Realistically, I can understand why this is done - but for a WC requiring such a large amount of money for a ticket - I can see the problem as it potentially affects us personally . I guess though that these cruises really are all about the ship and the cruise - the ports are just "extras" that we probably have to consider as somewhat potentially expendable.

Barry

I agree, although I don't think the ports are just potentially expendable extras. For many, particular ports are the reason people choose the cruise in the first place. I think this unsatisfactory situation is going to come back and bite them!

Once it was only the staff and passengers on a ship, and their friends, who knew about the number of missed ports, reduced times in port, etc. Now with the internet, the whole world knows and we don't like what we're hearing.

I'm wondering if the problem is being compounded by not allowing enough time for in depth regular maintenance in their busy cruising schedules?

I guess it can happen to the best of companies...

Aurora cruise cancelled (2005)

The ill-fated Aurora cruise ship finally left Southampton last night on its Grand Voyage world tour – but is limping back towards the south coast port again this morning after the cruise was cancelled.

The cancellation is expected to cost the ship's owner P&O Cruises 20 million in compensation, the BBC reported. Aurora is likely to be out of service for a month.

As reported, the cruise ship was meant to have left the UK on January 9 for a 103-day trip, taking in 40 ports in 23 countries around the world.

But, according to Sky News, P&O has said that attempted repairs had not been successful and that the ship was “limping back to dock in the Solent”.

blog quote

"Footnote to last night's Happy Hour...$4 cocktails and selected beers and I guarantee full strength alcohol, all to wash down our yummy pizza. The Happy Hour is going to be a regular occurrence, funny that happens as we hit USA."

lets hope they leave it and it doesn't disappear once they cross the equator

Joanne

I guess it can happen to the best of companies...

Aurora cruise cancelled (2005)

The ill-fated Aurora cruise ship finally left Southampton last night on its Grand Voyage world tour – but is limping back towards the south coast port again this morning after the cruise was cancelled.

The cancellation is expected to cost the ship's owner P&O Cruises 20 million in compensation, the BBC reported. Aurora is likely to be out of service for a month.

As reported, the cruise ship was meant to have left the UK on January 9 for a 103-day trip, taking in 40 ports in 23 countries around the world.

But, according to Sky News, P&O has said that attempted repairs had not been successful and that the ship was “limping back to dock in the Solent”.

I was reading that story, terrible, and such disappointment for the passengers. And I read this part:

"The ship entered service in 2000 after being launched by the Princess Royal. As she blessed the vessel, the traditional champagne bottle did not break, which was considered a bad omen."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-334906/Disappointed-passengers-leave-jinxed-cruise-ship.html#ixzz0uYcLU1l9

I guess it can happen to the best of companies...Aurora cruise cancelled (2005)

Well remember that. We had someone on the board here who booked the Sydney to Southampton sector , and Aurora never turned up.

They did it the following year though , and got the cruise for almost free.

With the cancelled cruise , everyone boarded, ready to sail, and they just sat the wharf for a few days while repairs were carried out. Then off they went, got as far as The Isle of Wight, and the Captain turned the ship around and came back to port. It took about a week then they off loaded everyone and everything, and the ship went to Germany for extensive repairs.

I believe they had to cut the side out of the ship to get at and replace an engine.:eek:

The locals in Southampton did OK out of it though as they also off loaded all the supplies that would have been needed for a World Cruise and donated them all to local charites.

Of course a few years later Aurora broke down again on her World Cruise, but this time at the other end of the world. She sat in the Port of Auckland for 6 days while they had to repair her again.

sorry to say that i will miss tonights sail in... they are due in at 9 am which is around 11pm out time.... unless of course our friends dinner party finishes early but I usually find that sail in starts a little earlier so we wont be home... lucky I have cruise cam on my iphone and I can make a few trips to the bathroom so they wont think I am a nutter... LOL...

Archived