Skype on RCI?

Wondering if anyone has had luck using Skype onboard, while in port?

We were on Princess in January and they blocked it saying it took too much broadband!

Also...if anyone can tell me if ALL the ships have the six designated WiFi hot spots? We're on Jewel ots and would like to take our laptop...assuming we won't be able to use it in the stateroom???

Wondering if anyone has had luck using Skype onboard, while in port?

We were on Princess in January and they blocked it saying it took too much broadband!

Also...if anyone can tell me if ALL the ships have the six designated WiFi hot spots? We're on Jewel ots and would like to take our laptop...assuming we won't be able to use it in the stateroom???

If your cabin is close to a hot spot, you can pick up wi-fi in your cabin.

I've seen it work sometimes and not work other times ... unless the line has recently implemented a filter, the biggest problem you run into is bandwidth. If there are a lot of people using the internet at that time (or if the connection is bad) then you will have troubles.

Bandwidth is too slow for a good skype connection.

The best thing to do is to just plan a head so that you don't have to make any calls. After all, you're on vacation....the calls can wait until you get home.

Bandwidth is too slow for a good skype connection.

The best thing to do is to just plan a head so that you don't have to make any calls. After all, you're on vacation....the calls can wait until you get home.

Thanks for the info.

I understand the idea of 'being on vacation' as we do it alot however I feel most comfortable being able to touch base with home while I'm gone...just my personal security knowing all is well and there's no problems. I have always enjoyed myself more knowing all is well at home and there are no worries!:)

On Vision of the Seas, Skype is blocked on the ship's computers. I used Skype successfully from my laptop to call my mom's cell phone on Mother's day ($0.021/min off the northwest coast of France). I doubt I could've Skyped video, even without other users - the bandwidth was pretty low. Audio was pretty good, though.

Oh yeah: we got no WiFi coverage in our cabin. I went to the computer area and got a nice strong signal there. I have no idea where else on board the hot spots existed.

Friends could not SKYPE on the Oasis last month... and I did not bother to buy the WI-FI time because my M&M peeps told of horrible tales of slow slow slower pricey experiences...! We had to unplug and have us a nice vacay...!:p

The only way you might be able to do it whilst in port, is to go out on deck and see if you can find a free local wifi to 'piggyback' off. Even then, you can't guarantee the bandwith, but I think its the only real way. RCI is just too slow/unreliable.

Simon

Thanks for all the info!

I think as long as we cruise Skype isn't for us (oh, well, it was a great thought!) and I'll go ahead and just buy the phone I was looking at! (39 cents a min thoughout most of Europe to USA!);)

Archived