Best Gaudi Tour?

I wish we had more time in Barcelona. Cruise gets in early morning on a Friday and we fly home Sunday morning. We do not plan to tour all of the Gaudi buildings. We will visit Parc Guell. But we are trying to choose among Casa Batllo, Casa Mila, and Sagrada Familia to do an inside tour. While we are not architecture experts by any means, we do enjoy seeing brilliant architecture and enjoying such tours.

I am leaning to Casa Batllo based solely on pictures I have seen on the internet and what I have read. But I would appreciate advice from people here who have seen all three or two of the structures.

Thanks,

Len

I liked Casa Mila (La Pedrera) the best, for several reasons:

1) You can actually see an apartment furnished as it would have been when the building was first completed.

2) The tour itself was very informative and gave a lot of details about how Gaudi built.

3) There is a museum in the attic that provides a lot of insight into how Gaudi worked, with blueprints, models, etc. (Not just of La Pedrera but other buildings as well)

4) The rooftop is spectacular; it's like a landscape on the moon (with terrific views).

While I love the exterior of Casa Batllo, I liked visiting the interior of this one more.

I have been to all the sights you mentioned. Casa Batllo and Casa Mila are very different but both are worthwhile to visit. The roof of Casa Mila is amazing! Casa Batllo is more expensive if that is part of your decision making process.

I am also one of those who had a hard time with Sagrada Familia because it is a construction site and the dust affected my asthma. It IS a fascinating place though and you can see a lot from the outside.

My advice would be to visit both Casas inside +Parc Guell. You could easily do those on your own in one day. Parc Guell is easily reached using the #24 bus which leaves you off right at the parking lot so you don't have to climb hills.

I love Barcelona and am going back on a land trip in September!!

I have been to all the sights you mentioned. Casa Batllo and Casa Mila are very different but both are worthwhile to visit. The roof of Casa Mila is amazing! Casa Batllo is more expensive if that is part of your decision making process.

I am also one of those who had a hard time with Sagrada Familia because it is a construction site and the dust affected my asthma. It IS a fascinating place though and you can see a lot from the outside.

My advice would be to visit both Casas inside +Parc Guell. You could easily do those on your own in one day. Parc Guell is easily reached using the #24 bus which leaves you off right at the parking lot so you don't have to climb hills.

I love Barcelona and am going back on a land trip in September!!

Thanks to both of you. I think I'll take your advice and do both Casa Mila and Casa Batllo along with Parc Guell. Last I looked, the tour of Casa Batllo was only $20 US (16 euros) online. I'm not going to miss a great site to save $40 (two of us).

I am hoping to also see something at the Palace of Catalan Music, spend some time at Ramblas, see Magic Fountain at night, and have some fun at night and eat some local food. Sounds like that is all doable.

Your itinerary is certainly very doable. I spent very little time on Las Ramblas,just a walk up one Sunday. DO go into La Boqueria market and/or the Santa Caterina market near the Palau de la Musica Catalan.

Try and eat in restaurants away from Las Ramblas as it is tourist trap central!

Most of all enjoy your visit!

I've visited Sagrada Familia and La Pedrera inside and out, and Casa Batllo just from the outside. If you enjoy seeing "brilliant architecture," and want to see some Gaudi in Barcelona, it's hard to imagine passing up Sagrada Familia, particularly to see Casa Batllo. Just my personal opinion, but the Nativity Facade of SF, which is the one Gaudi worked on, is pretty extraordinary and certainly SF is one of the most famous structures in Spain. I found Casa Batllo to be an over-the-top absurdity. I did enjoy the rooftop of La Pedrera very much.

If you want to save time, don't go inside Sagrada Familia (although I am very glad we did, particularly to be able to go up into the towers for the view).

Have a wonderful trip!

I've visited Sagrada Familia and La Pedrera inside and out, and Casa Batllo just from the outside. If you enjoy seeing "brilliant architecture," and want to see some Gaudi in Barcelona, it's hard to imagine passing up Sagrada Familia, particularly to see Casa Batllo. Just my personal opinion, but the Nativity Facade of SF, which is the one Gaudi worked on, is pretty extraordinary and certainly SF is one of the most famous structures in Spain. I found Casa Batllo to be an over-the-top absurdity. I did enjoy the rooftop of La Pedrera very much.

If you want to save time, don't go inside Sagrada Familia (although I am very glad we did, particularly to be able to go up into the towers for the view).

Have a wonderful trip!

I believe the poster means to see the outside of them all but was enquiring about which to choose for an interior tour....

I believe the poster means to see the outside of them all but was enquiring about which to choose for an interior tour....

Either you read my mind or I was barely clear enough. :cool:

We will see Sagrada Familia from the outside and tour the other two inside and out. Not sure if the best way to get around is with HOHO bus as I am reading nasty things on Trip Advisor about them.

Cruisemom, of course, thank you as always for helping just about everyone here trying to see some of these cities on our own.

I think we are going to try to catch a symphony at the Palace of Catalan Music. I thought about the tour. But now I am thinking that the best way to see such a great venue is to experience it the way it was meant to be. Tickets aren't cheap. But we'll chalk this up to once in a lifetime type of thing even though we hope to return some day. Other things we'll look into are touring Spanish Village and seeing Magic Fountain show. I realize that we can't do everything in two days.

You might consider the upstairs seats at the Palau de la M.C.

Even though they are further from the music, sitting under the gorgeous dome of the ceiling seems like it would be amazing!

Thanks, some of those seats look pretty good. They have front rows on the uppers for a little less than the lower level. I am looking at Vivaldi - Four Seasons on July 16. I am a novice when it comes to that kind of music. But that building looks great and it seems like the best way to experience it.

Thanks, some of those seats look pretty good. They have front rows on the uppers for a little less than the lower level. I am looking at Vivaldi - Four Seasons on July 16. I am a novice when it comes to that kind of music. But that building looks great and it seems like the best way to experience it.

That will be a fantastic experience -- definitely do it and be sure to tell us about it afterward. Sounds like something I'd like to do on my next visit to Barcelona.

P.S. Vivaldi's Four Seasons is an excellent choice. And thanks for the kind words!

We will see Sagrada Familia from the outside and tour the other two inside and out. Not sure if the best way to get around is with HOHO bus as I am reading nasty things on Trip Advisor about them.

We used the metro; there is a stop right across from Sagrada Familia, and another one not far from Casa Mila. From Casa Mila, it's an easy walk to Casa Batllo. Getting to Parc Guell was more of a challenge on the subway, so if you do decide to use public transit, I would look for bus info for getting to/from Parc Guell. (To save time, a taxi would be worthwhile for getting to Parc Guell).

We viewed Sagrada Familia and Casa Mila both inside and out, and Casa Batllo from the outside. I was really glad that we went into both Sagrada and C. Mila ... sorry to miss C. Batllo, but our time was short in Barcelona as well.

The HOHO bus is a good tour of the city if you want to see all the spots on its route.

I don't know where you are staying but the #24 bus goes directly to Parc Guell from the corner of Passeig de Gracia and Gran Via. A taxi would be quicker. The metro has a stop you can use too but it will require an up hill walk after you get out.

You can easily see all on Google maps.

The HOHO bus is a good tour of the city if you want to see all the spots on its route.

I don't know where you are staying but the #24 bus goes directly to Parc Guell from the corner of Passeig de Gracia and Gran Via. A taxi would be quicker. The metro has a stop you can use too but it will require an up hill walk after you get out.

You can easily see all on Google maps.

We are staying at Hotel Jazz. This is the information on their website:

Subway: The hotel is just seconds away from Universitat stop (lines L1 and L2 as well as Catalunya stop L1 and L3

Bus: Bus stops at Plaza Universidad and Plaza Catalunya are extremely convenient to Hotel Jazz.

Tourist Bus: The tourist bus stops just 50 yards away from the hotel, on Calle Balmes.

Regional and national train: All trains stop at Plaza Catalunya.

I will try to do subway or bus when I can.

We are staying at Hotel Jazz. This is the information on their website:

Subway: The hotel is just seconds away from Universitat stop (lines L1 and L2 as well as Catalunya stop L1 and L3

Bus: Bus stops at Plaza Universidad and Plaza Catalunya are extremely convenient to Hotel Jazz.

Tourist Bus: The tourist bus stops just 50 yards away from the hotel, on Calle Balmes.

Regional and national train: All trains stop at Plaza Catalunya.

I will try to do subway or bus when I can.

I am at the Hotel Jazz right now and the information is all correct. Great location to get around Barcelona! I´m jet-lagged and up at 2AM for the day!

Thanks, I'll be spending a lot of time at the concierge's desk asking which subway line to get on and when to get off.

I just ordered my tickets for Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I'm not sure if I should order my tour tickets for Casa Batllo or Casa Mila in advance.

Again, thanks everyone for your help.

Archived